• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Really Nervous And Worried About Neutering....

Inlé-rah

Warren Scout
I am booking Guinness in for a neuter soon, he is a 6 month old hand-reared Belgian Hare.
I am really worried about the neuter. I know its a common procedure but I can't help but think "what if"
I was wondering what time you were able to collect your rabbit after the operation, and how long does the procedure take? Should I take his favourite toys and some pellets/hay for extra comfort?

i am very confident guinness will be fine being neutered. Have you known your Vets for a while to feel confident with them? I have had lots of boys castrated and the last one, Roger, was eating as soon as we got home and very bright. The Vet will tell you what time you can collect him and I don't normally take anything with him. They are treated very well by the vet Nurses and don't get traumatised. You can take some Greens in for him if you want to :) The procedure on a boy isn't as invasive as for a female.

The most important thing to ensure success is to find the very very best RABBT SAVVY vet in your area - even if ut means paying more or travelling further than normal. An excellent and experienced rabbit vet will use the correct procedures, the correct anaesthesia and delivery methods and the correct post op procedures - and will also do it quickly as they are used to doing it.

Mine went in with some yummies and their water bowl. They were both eating by the time they came home. Snowflake took a couple of days to come round to eating properly, Frosty was eating within hours.

A hand reared belgian hare sounds lovely. Bet he will get loads of attention from the nurses!

Lots of vibes for a smooth recovery for Guiness (great name).

i am very confident guinness will be fine being neutered. Have you known your Vets for a while to feel confident with them? I have had lots of boys castrated and the last one, Roger, was eating as soon as we got home and very bright. The Vet will tell you what time you can collect him and I don't normally take anything with him. They are treated very well by the vet Nurses and don't get traumatised. You can take some Greens in for him if you want to :) The procedure on a boy isn't as invasive as for a female.

I have known my vets for a while, they are great with small animals, all of my family go there too and originally recommended them to me, I will be making sure I ask plenty of questions before dropping him off though, I want him to be in the best possible hands!

The most important thing to ensure success is to find the very very best RABBT SAVVY vet in your area - even if ut means paying more or travelling further than normal. An excellent and experienced rabbit vet will use the correct procedures, the correct anaesthesia and delivery methods and the correct post op procedures - and will also do it quickly as they are used to doing it.

I definitely agree with you there, money is no object when it comes to pets, I need him to be in the best possible hands. My vets are very good with small animals, although I will still ask them plenty of questions, and also enquire about their success rates before taking him, just to make sure!!

Mine went in with some yummies and their water bowl. They were both eating by the time they came home. Snowflake took a couple of days to come round to eating properly, Frosty was eating within hours.

A hand reared belgian hare sounds lovely. Bet he will get loads of attention from the nurses!

Lots of vibes for a smooth recovery for Guiness (great name).

Thank you! I am hoping for a smooth recovery, I'd be devastated if anything bad happened to him!
Your bunnies are so cute :)

Guinness also hasn't had his jabs yet, how many weeks in advance in your opinion should I get him jabbed before the operation? Sorry about all the questions :p I want what's best for my boy!

Guinness also hasn't had his jabs yet, how many weeks in advance in your opinion should I get him jabbed before the operation? Sorry about all the questions :p I want what's best for my boy!

I would leave it 3 weeks after vaccination. Some Vets say 1 week is fine, but personally I think three weeks to be more appropriate as it takes three weeks for the full immune response to the vaccine to develop

http://www.msd-animal-health.co.uk/Products_Public/nobivac-myxo-rhd/090_product_datasheet.aspx

Exactly this :thumb:

So important to find a vet confident with the procedure x

I would leave it 3 weeks after vaccination. Some Vets say 1 week is fine, but personally I think three weeks to be more appropriate as it takes three weeks for the full immune response to the vaccine to develop

http://www.msd-animal-health.co.uk/Products_Public/nobivac-myxo-rhd/090_product_datasheet.aspx

Thank you so much, I'm guessing its best to have the jabs before the neuter, rather than the other way round? I know some people don't bother with jabs but I'm definitely not taking the risk

Exactly this :thumb:

So important to find a vet confident with the procedure x

I agree, I am going to ring several vets up, and see who is the most confident, and who has the most success rates. I definitely don't mind paying extra for a better service....Plus I won't get as upset when dropping him off if I know he is in the best possible hands! x

rabbits are SO different to cats and dogs and need different anaesthesia and different meds and different painkillers etc etc - so its vital that its a RABBIT vet and not just a cat and dog and general small animals vet

rabbits are SO different to cats and dogs and need different anaesthesia and different meds and different painkillers etc etc - so its vital that its a RABBIT vet and not just a cat and dog and general small animals vet

I will definitely look for the most rabbit savvy vet in my area, even if it means travelling further than planned! What is an appropriate "success rate" percentage to look for, something like 99.9%? Or is that asking a bit too much?

Back