• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny wont drink in her cage??

pudgey420

Warren Scout
Hello

Willow can drink fine from her water bottle which hangs on the side of the cage and has done so the whole time we have had her however I like to put a bowl of water out for when shes free ranging so she can have a wee drink after binkying around but i have noticed the past two days that she isnt drinking in her cage and is waiting until shes out and then going to drink from her bowl...
I know she must prefer drinking from a bowl but its hard to keep one full in her cage as it always ends up knocked over or covered in hay haha.

Just wondering why she has suddenly developed this and if theres anything i can do to encourage her?

any advice appreciated :) thanks!

Hi :wave: im not sure why but all my bunnies have preferred to drink from a bowl, perhaps it is because they do not like the feel of the metal on their tongues (this is my theory) sometimes it looks like hard work to get the water aswell, when a bowl is much easier! you could perhaps try purchasing one of these hook on bowls? I have one similar and its really impossible to tip over although hay can definitely still get in there!! :roll: xxxx
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stainless-Steel-Coop-Cup-Feeder-with-Holder-7-5cm-150ml-Hook-On-Cage-Bird-Feed/141230268464?_trksid=p2141725.c100204.m3164&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140407115239%26meid%3Df22183e7e5e64939a8045c032a39d4b4%26pid%3D100204%26prg%3D20140407115239%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D30%26sd%3D151206565353

Hello!

Ahhh awesome thank you :) I will defo get one!

Yeah I guess its just not nice to drink by licking a metal ball.. Much better to Sluuuuuurp it up from a bowl haha :D

I think most bunnies prefer bowls, I usually put them well away from their hay, and if you give them heavy earthenware ones, they are a lot less likely to get knocked over. You could use a big dog bowl, I am using a large straight sided oven dish for my outdoor pair, and Boots, my indoor bun has a trough like oven dish for his water.

Hello!

Ahhh awesome thank you :) I will defo get one!

Yeah I guess its just not nice to drink by licking a metal ball.. Much better to Sluuuuuurp it up from a bowl haha :D

No problem!! He he yes exactly I think it just requires a bit less effort for them, worked for my buns anyways ( apart from occasionaly they dip their paws in it and leave little wet prints everywhere!!! He he ) xx

Lopsy has both a bowl and a bottle and I know he can use the bowl (he was previously bottle-only) because I've seen him drink out of it, but he prefers the bottle. Weirdo. Bowl is in his hutch and bottle on the side of the run. Only had one or two incidents of wet coming out of the bowl into the hutch, mostly caused by a confused bun! Hutch floor is a metal sheet in mine, but covered in newspaper so a spillage would soak all the way across.

Back