• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit has runny eyes

I have noticed that one of my rabbits eyes are running. They are a little swollen and pink, but the watery stuff is clear. Could this be a molar infection? He has had it once before but only in one eye, which I treated with some eye drops. Now a month later it's back but has infected both eyes. he is still eating everything I give him which includes feed, hay, veggies, and some treats. He is also still happy and runs around to greet me. Should I take him to a vet?

I have noticed that one of my rabbits eyes are running. They are a little swollen and pink, but the watery stuff is clear. Could this be a molar infection? He has had it once before but only in one eye, which I treated with some eye drops. Now a month later it's back but has infected both eyes. he is still eating everything I give him which includes feed, hay, veggies, and some treats. He is also still happy and runs around to greet me. Should I take him to a vet?

Yes, because he obviously requires further treatment. This may include antibiotic eye drops and the Vet should also address any Dental problems that may be causing the runny eyes.

One other thing to consider is the possibility of Myxomatosis which in the early stages can present as swollen and runny eyes. Is your Rabbit vaccinated ?

No he isn't but he is kept inside a barn and away from insects. I have also sprayed for them and have only seen dead ones where the rabbits are kept. His eyes aren't very swollen just a little more than usual. Do you really think it could be Myxomatosis? Can that be treated?

No he isn't but he is kept inside a barn and away from insects. I have also sprayed for them and have only seen dead ones where the rabbits are kept. His eyes aren't very swollen just a little more than usual. Do you really think it could be Myxomatosis? Can that be treated?

It is impossible to diagnose what is wrong over the internet. You need to consult a Vet. It could be Myxomatosis and in unvaccinated Rabbits survival is unlikely even with prompt treatment.

I'd advise to have him vaccinated as soon as he is well (providing this isn't myxi) and to vaccinate your other rabbit as soon as possible. Being inside and away from insects does not give them the protection that vaccination does.

I'd advise to have him vaccinated as soon as he is well (providing this isn't myxi) and to vaccinate your other rabbit as soon as possible. Being inside and away from insects does not give them the protection that vaccination does.

okay thanks! his eyes aren't like swollen really bad just like an irritated swollen if that makes sense.? I am giving him eye drops twice daily from the vet. last time it cleared up in about a week, but since it came back I'm thinking it may be a molar problem..

Does he have any lumps? My bun was diagnosed with myxi last Tuesday and he had a lump on his eyelid, slightly runny eyes but not much and he sounds like he has a cold. He isn't up to date with his jabs but I think he must of had some antibodies left to help fight it. I will be getting him his jabs asap though, its just not worth the risk :( id take him to the vets just to be sure x

Does he have any lumps? My bun was diagnosed with myxi last Tuesday and he had a lump on his eyelid, slightly runny eyes but not much and he sounds like he has a cold. He isn't up to date with his jabs but I think he must of had some antibodies left to help fight it. I will be getting him his jabs asap though, its just not worth the risk :( id take him to the vets just to be sure x

no he doesn't have any lumps, maybe its just a cold. our temperature went from like 75 to 29 degrees over night!!

Back