• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Lifelong wormer??

<3jackyboy<3

Young Bun
Hiya, my rabibit Nala was wormed in may this year, as after reading reccomedations of re-working times, I thought that she would be due to have some more wormer! However, one day after orderin the wormer over the counter, my vets called and said that rabbits were different to other animals, and only needed to be wormers if you were introducing them to another rabbit?! Very confused at the moment! Any advice? :) thank you!!

So i think there's a standard suggestion that rabbits should be wormed every 3 months

However, the "worming" is mainly done as a preventative to E Cuniculi, and not the actual worms.

Worms aren't that common in bunnies and if you keep an eye on their poops, you will see the worms if there are any and know to worm them

EC is a parasite which i think over 50% of bunnies have been exposed to, but it generally only has symptoms if the bunny is stressed or has a lower immune system due to other illness/stress. If there are symptoms, they're really nasty head tilt type stuff that you'd really want your bunny to avoid. However, there's a risk of building up immunity to the worming medicine if it's used too much so that if the bunny did get EC, it would be less effective, and also a view that worming for 7-9 days is pretty ineffective and it should be 28 days if the bunny exhibits symptoms of EC.

So there's another school of thought that says even if your bunny does come into contact with EC, it will be ok unless it's stressed/ill, so if you worm them when they're stressed/ill e.g. bonding or boarding or moving house then it will prevent EC flaring up.

So there isn't any conclusive advice really. But I'm probably going to give my two wormer every time they come home from boarding in case the boarding was stressful (approx 2x per year)

So i think there's a standard suggestion that rabbits should be wormed every 3 months

However, the "worming" is mainly done as a preventative to E Cuniculi, and not the actual worms.

Worms aren't that common in bunnies and if you keep an eye on their poops, you will see the worms if there are any and know to worm them

EC is a parasite which i think over 50% of bunnies have been exposed to, but it generally only has symptoms if the bunny is stressed or has a lower immune system due to other illness/stress. If there are symptoms, they're really nasty head tilt type stuff that you'd really want your bunny to avoid. However, there's a risk of building up immunity to the worming medicine if it's used too much so that if the bunny did get EC, it would be less effective, and also a view that worming for 7-9 days is pretty ineffective and it should be 28 days if the bunny exhibits symptoms of EC.

So there's another school of thought that says even if your bunny does come into contact with EC, it will be ok unless it's stressed/ill, so if you worm them when they're stressed/ill e.g. bonding or boarding or moving house then it will prevent EC flaring up.

So there isn't any conclusive advice really. But I'm probably going to give my two wormer every time they come home from boarding in case the boarding was stressful (approx 2x per year)

Thank you!! :D the vets said that because she had taken the full 28 day initial course (without having any signs) as a preventative, she should now be protected for life!! :)

Last edited:
Rabbits aren't out and about like cats and dogs to pick up worms, so unless there is a reason then really no need to treat routinely. Treatment for worms is a short (weekish long) course, which would have no effect on E.C. which needs a full 28 days plus full clean for treatment. There is also the possibility that regular worming courses would give EC a change to build resistance against pancur making future treatment less effective.

Back