• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Does every single load of bunny urine has to be creamy yellow to be a healthy bun?

Happy Hopping

Wise Old Thumper
what if once or twice a day, it's clear liquid? Does that mean it must be the beginning of chronic kidney failure, or is there some other explanation?

Bit confused, Lilly never does creamy yellow wees, she only does them after certain foods I've given her, I assume because they're high in calcium! Same with Harvey too! Her's are always clear and vary between yellowy to red depending on what veg/fruit/herbs/treats she's had!

I think it's normal to be either clear or creamy, but if it's creamy a lot I thought it may mean there's too much calcium in their diet which risks kidney/bladder stones?

I might be COMPLETELY wrong though! I'm not an expert, that's just what I thought! Hopefully someone more knowledgable can back me up or refute what I've said!

The occasional very dilute wee is not an issue. If it is a constant occurrence or a new symptom that appears to be worsening that might indicate renal problems, especially if the Rabbit suddenly starts drinking a lot more water and has some unexplained weightloss.

Oh dear, Lilly never does creamy yellow wees :? Harvey hardly ever did too, only after specific veg... But Lilly doesn't drink that much at all and her weight is steady... Maybe I'll pay closer attention to her wee, I rarely look at it before it's already soaked into the newspaper so maybe it is cloudier that I thought... I don't think so though... It always seems as though it's clear and orangey-red coloured, occassionally lighter :? I can't imagine that she's ill though just because she's so healthy and has never had stasis or any problems :?

Oh dear, Lilly never does creamy yellow wees :? Harvey hardly ever did too, only after specific veg... But Lilly doesn't drink that much at all and her weight is steady... Maybe I'll pay closer attention to her wee, I rarely look at it before it's already soaked into the newspaper so maybe it is cloudier that I thought... I don't think so though... It always seems as though it's clear and orangey-red coloured, occassionally lighter :? I can't imagine that she's ill though just because she's so healthy and has never had stasis or any problems :?

When I said 'dilute urine' I meant like water constantly and usually lots of it in cases of renal problems.

really? I have bunnies since 1998, all of their urine looks like greasy paint from a paint can. On the 2nd photo of your signature from the right, the color of their urine looks like that color of your bun. The orange red is normal, that is when your bun eat some exotic grass outside.

When I said 'dilute urine' I meant like water constantly and usually lots of it in cases of renal problems.

Ah ok phew! It's almost always coloured :D usually dark orange, it's just never creamy (I think kale is one of the ones that makes it like that though!), Lilly doesn't wee excessively so I'm sure she's fine, I just watched her weeing and went to inspect after, the poor thing looked so confused, I don't think I'd like someone staring at me whilst I weed either :lol:

The occasional very dilute wee is not an issue. If it is a constant occurrence or a new symptom that appears to be worsening that might indicate renal problems, especially if the Rabbit suddenly starts drinking a lot more water and has some unexplained weightloss.

Jane, thank you, I really appreciate your input. I go back and re-read "The 5 min. vet consult: Rabbit / ferret", turns out they no longer use the term Chronic Kidney failure, they use CRF and ARF, and it says for CRF, 1 way to keep the bun life healthy, is to soak the veggies with water, and even put non-sugar veggie or fruit juice mix w/ water to encourage them to drink more water.

really? I have bunnies since 1998, all of their urine looks like greasy paint from a paint can. On the 2nd photo of your signature from the right, the color of their urine looks like that color of your bun. The orange red is normal, that is when your bun eat some exotic grass outside.

Nope it's hardly ever opaque, always clear! It is always coloured, usually orange, sometimes red! When they were outdoors actually I remember it's be a bit more "chalky" but hardly ever indoors, depends on what I feed them, kale turns it "chalky", but Harvey went into stasis after having kale so I didn't give them anything too high in calcium because I thought that might be a trigger, maybe he had kidney issues? :( I don't think Lilly does though

Back