• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit Journal Articles, Hellppp!

_Jennifer

Young Bun
Helloo

I am studying Animal Management BSc and currently writing an essay on rabbit husbandry and welfare. I'm struggling to find up to date peer reviewed journal articles for reference. If anyone knows of any under the topics of housing, diet, social behvaiour, geriatric rabbit care or enrichment please could you post a hyperlink?

Thank you in advance :)

I've done a few presentations at uni involving rabbits and there is very little literature! Most of the references I used were for lab rabbits as that's what the majority of the research has been on

That's a pretty broad topic. Don't know of any off hand on old rabbits but there are studies on group housing, enrichment, cage size, and the muesli v. pellet one - not sure if that's been fully published yet. Here's a couple I've linked to recently so I've got the refs to hand...

Buijs, S. et al.(2011) Glucocorticoid metabolites in rabbit faeces—Influence of environmental enrichment and cage size’, Physiology & Behavior 104 (2011) 469–473

Dixon, L. M (2010) The effects of spatial restriction on the behavior of rabbits (Oryctolagus cuniculus), Journal of Veterinary Behavior (2010) 5, 302-308.

Seaman, S. (2008) Animal economics: assessing the motivation of female laboratory rabbits to reach a platform, social contact and food, ANIMAL BEHAVIOUR, 2008, 75, 31e42

These are the muesli related ones:
Prebble, J., Meredith, A. (2013) Feeding rabbits and getting it right – the effects of diet on health and behaviour, Royal (****) School of Veterinary Studies, University of Edinburgh, Scotland, UK.

Prebble, J., Meredith, A. (2014) Food and water intake and selective feeding in rabbits on four feeding regimes, Journal of Animal Physiology and Animal Nutrition.

Back