• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice about dried dandelion and herbs please

garfieldette

Young Bun
Hi

I adopted Mickie and Minnie on Saturday. They are my first rabbits and I am trying to make sure I get their diet right. I have been careful about what fresh vedge they are getting and limiting to 20g of science selective per bun but noticed a left sticky pooh this morning (sorry cannot remember the right name for it).

I wanted to ask, does dried dandelion and Natures Touch count as part of their fresh vedge portion or can it be fed more liberally? Ive been giving the both and wonder if I should cut them back.

Any advice gratefully received.

Hi

I adopted Mickie and Minnie on Saturday. They are my first rabbits and I am trying to make sure I get their diet right. I have been careful about what fresh vedge they are getting and limiting to 20g of science selective per bun but noticed a left sticky pooh this morning (sorry cannot remember the right name for it).

I wanted to ask, does dried dandelion and Natures Touch count as part of their fresh vedge portion or can it be fed more liberally? Ive been giving the both and wonder if I should cut them back.

Any advice gratefully received.

It's usually the pellets that are the culprit for soft poos, not forage, fresh or dried.

Try giving more hay and less dried food. Some veg contribute to soft poo, e.g. carrots, parsnips and roots.

Thanks for the response MightyMax.

Just to ask again though, do dried dandelions and dried herbs need to be counted in as part of the fresh vedge portion for each day?

Hi :wave:
As I understand it the dried dandelions and NT mix will be considered as forage rather than fresh veg..
I only give my buns a tiny bit of fresh veg once a day... a few carrot top sprigs / parsley sprigs / pea shoots..
half a handful each... half an inch of carrot as a spesh treat. (it's taken me 6 months to work out what works for the individual bun )
It was the over do of fresh human veg that gave mine the poops first time...but it was the overdo of pellets the second time it happened.... I had, like you, started to give them Natures Touch on top of their daily pellets...
NT is great forage but also has pellets in it.. and my Buns love the herb, hay, pellet mix of NT! So, I have cut down on the amount of regular Pellets I give them and the fresh veg...
Bunnies only really need a small amount of veg and LOTS of forage.. mine have been super poopers since.
Umm.. hope this makes sense x

It's just that Natures Touch has Pellets in it too... it's classed as a complete food... even tho you only find the pellets in the lower half of the bag :roll:

Last edited:
Hi :wave:
As I understand it the dried dandelions and NT mix will be considered as forage rather than fresh veg..
I only give my buns a tiny bit of fresh veg once a day... a few carrot top sprigs / parsley sprigs / pea shoots..
half a handful each... half an inch of carrot as a spesh treat. (it's taken me 6 months to work out what works for the individual bun )
It was the over do of fresh human veg that gave mine the poops first time...but it was the overdo of pellets the second time it happened.... I had, like you, started to give them Natures Touch on top of their daily pellets...
NT is great forage but also has pellets in it.. and my Buns love the herb, hay, pellet mix of NT! So, I have cut down on the amount of regular Pellets I give them and the fresh veg...
Bunnies only really need a small amount of veg and LOTS of forage.. mine have been super poopers since.
Umm.. hope this makes sense x

It's just that Natures Touch has Pellets in it too... it's classed as a complete food... even tho you only find the pellets in the lower half of the bag :roll:

Thanks for the info. Sorry if this is a stupid question, so what is classed a forage please?

Forage would be dried herbs, grasses, bunny safe plants from the wild... Most Buns do really good on them... Natures Touch does give them the plant forage nutrients , but it does have pellets in it too.

Maybe the soft poops could be cos your buns are still recovering from being in a new home , and / or on a new diet

Forage would be dried herbs, grasses, bunny safe plants from the wild... Most Buns do really good on them... Natures Touch does give them the plant forage nutrients , but it does have pellets in it too.

Maybe the soft poops could be cos your buns are still recovering from being in a new home , and / or on a new diet

Thank you. Ive not seen anymore today so hopefully it was a one off. Theres just so much to learn and I want to make sure I get them into a good diet straight away. I made the mistake of giving in to the guinea pigs begging and give them too much vedge so don't want to start the same bad habits up with the rabbits.

Hopefully it was a one off.. they do happen.. well done for asking tho.. i havn't been on the forum that long either and everyone is great. Keep posting :wave:

Back