• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit sitting in the wet/wind

ripply

Young Bun
I've just moved Gizmo from his summer house in the garden to his winter hutch and run so that he's more sheltered this winter. The hutch is large, two levels with a 7x7ft run attached and then another smaller shelter box at the other end. Problem is, he keeps sitting out in the most unsheltered spot of the whole place. He goes in sometimes and he eats in the hutch but apart from that he's outside, despite the wind and rain. I feel awful seeing him out in all weathers. He does have a tarpaulin over part of the run but he prefers the part that isn't covered. I don't understand it at all! I don't want to shut him in the hutch because he needs his space but I worry about him.

I know ! my silly bunnies are just the same :( I've come to the conclusion that they must know best, they have shelter if they want it, but if they choose not to sit in it ? I've got a towel that I run over them if they are a bit damp when I shut them in the shed for the night-apart from that I let them get on with it !

It's good to hear that mine isn't the only one! I guess he does know best and if he was cold or miserable, he would go inside. It's just hard looking at him sitting there and I keep thinking surely he'd prefer to be nice and warm and dry inside, but obviously he thinks differently! My horses were always the same, preferring to be outside rather than stabled no matter what the weather. Strangely, with all the rain we've been having, Gizmo never seems to really get soaked, just a bit of damp on top of his coat.

my chickens are the worst at this. They have a massive shed, always accessible and also a little shelter outside too, yet they stand in the rain to the point they look drowned!!! silly billies!!

if you are really worried, maybe you could get some clear tarp (some on ebay - search clear polythene 750g, I got 5m x 2m for £9) to pop over when its really wet?xx

Thanks, I've looked up the clear polythene. I think I'll order some as maybe he'd prefer a clear see-through covering rather than the dark blue tarpaulin he has now. I'm not sure how to attach it to the run though, as there is no holes at the corners.

I also keep some hens and they regularly end up wet in the rain but if it's really torrential, they do take shelter either in one of their houses or in the trees. Gizmo doesn't seem to notice that it's raining! For some reason, it doesn't worry me so much with the hens and they've never came to any harm. But with Gizmo, I'd be happier seeing him tucked up nice and cozy in bad weather.

Mine generally sit out in the rain too. I was amused the other day though when Kyla was out free-ranging and the heavens opened - it went from dry to torrential rain so quickly it must have startled her as she bolted straight back down the Runaround tunnel and into the shed.

Thanks, I've looked up the clear polythene. I think I'll order some as maybe he'd prefer a clear see-through covering rather than the dark blue tarpaulin he has now. I'm not sure how to attach it to the run though, as there is no holes at the corners.

I also keep some hens and they regularly end up wet in the rain but if it's really torrential, they do take shelter either in one of their houses or in the trees. Gizmo doesn't seem to notice that it's raining! For some reason, it doesn't worry me so much with the hens and they've never came to any harm. But with Gizmo, I'd be happier seeing him tucked up nice and cozy in bad weather.

On ebay as well you can buy curtain wire which comes with hooks and eyes. you can buy about 10 metres for £3 and once chopped up you can use it to hook onto the run mesh, over the polythene - which basically straps it in. You could also wrap the ends over the curtain wire and gaffer tape to make it more permanent... Im not sure if I am being very clear so Ill post some pics at the weekend when I finish doing mine... does that make any sense at all?? :D :D

On ebay as well you can buy curtain wire which comes with hooks and eyes. you can buy about 10 metres for £3 and once chopped up you can use it to hook onto the run mesh, over the polythene - which basically straps it in. You could also wrap the ends over the curtain wire and gaffer tape to make it more permanent... Im not sure if I am being very clear so Ill post some pics at the weekend when I finish doing mine... does that make any sense at all?? :D :D

Thanks Chloe, I've found some similar polythene on Amazon that has eyelets and I've also ordered some separate tarpaulin clips to make it more secure so hopefully that will do the trick. I've never heard of curtain wire but I'm going to look it up. It sounds useful and pictures would be much appreciated.

I've just checked him tonight and he's inside munching on some hay. All day it was raining and he sat outside and now it's dry, he's inside. Typical!

Yep, Your Bunny isn't the only one.
Mine sits outside when it rains, snows whatever... Crazy little guy ;) the others prefer to go inside. He just stays outside and gets wet.
But he is still alive and isn't ill, so... ;)

My 3 will go out in torrential rain despite having a dry warm shed. I look out of the kitchen window panicking that they'll get a chill!!!

So glad to read this as I didn't like to mention my 2 mad buns and their love of rain. Hoppity, who came first really worried me as she'd sit out in the snow, flakes coming down in torrents but she wouldn't move. Then Hector arrived and they both sit in the rain, sometimes even lie in it! I put tarp' over the run but if any blew up from under the weights they moved to the open part where the rain came in so I gave up. I have lots of old towels I've cut into squares and I dry them off as much as possible, Hector doesn't really liked being touched too much but Hoppity loves a rub. They have a warm refuge, with lots of hay and straw in boxed areas and in trays so I know they know it's there but sometimes I suppose we just have to accept their choices. (even though I'm known to go outside and have a wee moan at them, call them daft and say things like "well if you catch cold I'll not be making you hot toddies." and other such nonsense.)

Back