• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Uneaten Caecotrophs New 8 Week old Mini Lop

Mini-lop

Young Bun
Hi, I have posted this here and in health as I was unsure which one to stick it it. :)

But we have our new bunny and he is producing a fair few uneaten caecotrophs, we have only had him 3 days so we are putting these in a separate tray and throwing them away if uneaten within 24h.
Obviously the odd one gets squashed before you get up. :)

But I wanted to check it was not a diet problem, we are giving him the low recommended amount of Excell Junior and Dwarf which is 60g (30g twice a day) he is eating plenty of hay?

Is 60g too much?

Hi:wave:, I also have an 8 week old mini lop, called Poppy, I have had her for 3 days now and I had the same problem, I found that reducing the amount of dry food she has worked really well, she still has a few but that is from when she is sleeping, I wouldn't worry much since they don't need all of the cecetropes they produce. Babies also have shorter attention spans and sometimes forget to eat them. Just make sure you keep an eye on him and if it hasn't been sorted out within a couple of days then try and reduce it even more, also make sure he is eating his hay, that should get things moving.:D

Last edited:
Lots of hay and water and teeny handful of pellets will sort them out, feed them that for a few days and he will be fine :)

Hi

My two are the same, although I was told to feed them 30gr a day and slowly build it up to 60gr over the next 6 weeks, they are 10 weeks now and are on 40gr a day each with unlimited hay n Alfa Alfa, they go mad for their pellets, I worry I'm not feeding them enough!

Lots of hay and water and teeny handful of pellets will sort them out, feed them that for a few days and he will be fine
ipLlqU

Last edited:
The breeder (who is a vet) said not to limit pellets too much as they need the protein for growing at their age.
I cut back a little but she said just clear them up at the moment as and when as they do not need them as much because of the vitamins received in the food.
He has lots of hay and water already, so that is not an issue and the cecals are very healty looking so I will carry on until he is getting towards adult food levels.

On another note at what age should I switch over to adult food for the bun usually?

The breeder (who is a vet) said not to limit pellets too much as they need the protein for growing at their age.
I cut back a little but she said just clear them up at the moment as and when as they do not need them as much because of the vitamins received in the food.
He has lots of hay and water already, so that is not an issue and the cecals are very healty looking so I will carry on until he is getting towards adult food levels

On another note at what age should I switch over to adult food for the bun usually?

If feeding burgess I think it says from 16weeks on The bag although I not used burgess for a while

Back