• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny Treat Bake Off Entries

Tamsin

Administrator
Staff member
I thought I'd pop this up this evening, then if anyone is at work tomorrow and won't be about until late they can get their entry in this evening instead. All entries must be in by 8pm 12th November.

You need to submit:

• A photo of your finished treats
  • Your ingredients list
  • A rating out of 10 from your bunnies on taste

If you've got any other photos e.g. of your bunnies taste testing or you want to discuss it pop it in the other thread or a new topic. Just keep it to the entries in this topic please to make it easier for the judges to go through :)

Okay, so here's my entry!

It's a bunny three course Christmas dinner consisting of:

Starter - Carrot and Coriander Christmas Tree with a Vegetable Salad: Equal quantities of rolled oats and crushed pellets (I used half a mug full of each), 1 mashed banana, 2 grated carrots, a good handful of coriander and enough water to make a nice rolling consistency. For the veggies I dehydrated parsnip, peppers and green beans in a very low oven for around three hours.

Main Course - The Complete Christmas Lunch Christmas Tree: Equal quantities of rolled oats and crushed pellets, 1 puréed parsnip, 2 grated carrots, 4 puréed brocolli florets, 10 puréed green beans.

Desert - Banana and Blueberry Stars with Fruit Salad: Equal quantities or rolled oats and crushed pellets, 2 bananas, 250g of lightly crushed blueberries and enough water to make it a nice rolling consistency. For the fruit salad, I dehydrated apple and banana slices in a low oven for 3 hours until they were crispy.

BUNNY RATING: Given the speed at which it was demolished, it's seemed to score 10/10 with Sam and Penny! No more treats for a week after this!

I now have hundreds of bunny biscuits that will be winging their way to the bunnies at the local RSPCA. :D

Last edited:
My Goodness, that is truely amazing. Lucky Sam and Penny. I remember your thread with their gorgeous indoor set up. Hope they are still enjoying it.

Ok, here's mine:

'Mabel's Marvellous Carrots' and 'Arthur's Apples!'

Mabel's Carrots:
two handfuls of pellets - ground up
half a mashed banana
half a grated carrot
A couple of tablespoons of water
a few sprigs of chopped parsley
Mix all ingredients in a blender and form into carrot shapes. Bake on a low heat for about an hour. garnish with parsley sprigs.

Arthur's Apples:
Two handfuls of pellets - ground up
One bramley apple, chopped and stewed
A sprig of rosemary snipped up.
Mix all ingredients in a blender and roll into balls. Bake on a low heat for about an hour. Decorate with a single rosemary strand for the apple stalk and mini mint leaves for the apple leaves.

They both score 10/10 as they were gone in milliseconds and mabel ran away with hers which is a sure sign that it's extra tasty!

Last edited:
I don't think I will win any points for presentation :oops: but I tried lots of different recipes and ended up doing my own - it was voted tasty by 4 out of 4 bunnies! :thumb:

Cranberry and Carrot Christmas Bites

1/2 cup pellets (crushed)
1/2 cup Fibrefirst
1 tbsp wholewheat flour
1/2 cup porridge oats
1/2 carrot, finely grated
1/4 cup water
1 banana, mashed
1/2 cup cranberries
Pinch of dried herbs
Pinch of rosemary

Mix pellets, Fibrefirst, flour, porridge, herbs and carrot together, add water and stir. Mix in mashed banana and finally mix in cranberries. Shape into bite-sized balls and cook for 15 mins at 180.

Barney licked the bowl..

Bunnies: We votes them 9 out of 10, we knocked a point off as there was no fenugreek crunchie in and that's our favourite! :p

(the babies did get some but they whipped them out of my hands and carried them off to eat in privacy, so I couldn't get any pictures!)

I am a bit embarrassed to show mine now. The other entries look amazing. Julie gave her hay cookies 10 out of 10. She absolutely loves them but they aren't much to look at.

I cut up oat hay,Timothy and alfalfa hay into my Ninja Blender/food processor. The oat hay and Timothy was long so needed to be cut short. The Alfalfa hay was mostly the leafy flaky parts.
Processed.
Added a small handful of pellets and smaller handful of porridge oats.
Processed.
Added very hot water with a splash of natural apple juice
Processed then added ripe banana.
I rolled the dough out between sheets of parchment paper.
Pressed dried apple on top the dough and scored with a knife.
Baked for 30 minutes at 325 degrees then turned the oven off and left them in the oven for 2 hours. Broke the cookies up and gave one to Julie which she gobbled.

I am a bit embarrassed to show mine now. The other entries look amazing. Julie gave her hay cookies 10 out of 10. She absolutely loves them but they aren't much to look at.

I cut up oat hay,Timothy and alfalfa hay into my Ninja Blender/food processor. The oat hay and Timothy was long so needed to be cut short. The Alfalfa hay was mostly the leafy flaky parts.
Processed.
Processed.
Baked for 30 minutes at 325 degrees then turned the oven off and left them in the oven for 2 hours. Broke the cookies up and gave one to Julie which she gobbled.

Julie's face made me laugh in that last picture! Greedy girl :lol:

I thought the same as you, some of these treats look so fancy :love: I'm sure the bunnies don't care how good they look though, as long as they get to eat them :)

Processed.
Processed.

OMG just look at her face!! Just priceless. Absolutely priceless, bless her :love::love::love:

imagejpg2.jpg
[/URL]

Here is our attempt at making the banana and fenugreek treats.
Ingredients:
crushed pellets
Mashed banana
Fenugreek
Rolled oats

Mix and bake!

Muchu, Mavis and Dyllis gave them a Paws up! Ten out of ten!

You can read the full story here, but here's my entry:

Ingredients:
  • 3x small bananas
  • Hay ends (about 75g)
  • Handful of rose petals

Mine are stored in a yoghurt bucket:

10620023_10101350691871458_6778606620439875526_o.jpg

Lopsy gave them 7/10 on the day they were baked but has revised his rating to 10/10 today! He left half of it on Saturday, but today (Wednesday) has decided they've matured enough to be very tasty indeed, and sought them out before his pellets this morning! He clearly has proper refined tastes... ;P

Ok this is my first attempt ever at baking for bunnies :-
I mixed-
Handfull of rolled oats (crushed)
Handful of bunny pellets (crushed)
Grated carrot
Mashed banana
chopped parsley
Drop of water to bind

Ready for the oven

c1d2475543ed248b003ba4db4c51ffca_zps056102bb.jpg
[/IMG]

Cooling -smell rather good !

0b3d75182ede4562804060f58b56e229_zpsd7528d02.jpg
[/IMG]

George inspecting-are they for me mum ?

ec09e1bee7054c35f65f686ba7c80832_zpsc1bf1c86.jpg
[/IMG]

Tested on bunnies this morning, sorry pics are dark it's so wet and gloomy here today, bunnies don't want to come out.

Treacle-mmmm this iz differents, not sure whats it iz but tastes good-yums. I'd gives these 9/10 for tastes, 7/10 for presentations

72bc48854290b1de5377628fde601491_zps2359267e.jpg
[/IMG]

Toffee-ooh what's dis den (tries a bit then leaves it) I'll havz my proper brekkie please mum

14c04372e5081c9d1c24d72967c70b04_zps6a31a05b.jpg
[/IMG]

I forgot, only tried banana with Toffee once and he didn't like it, so he's declined to give a score (bit harsh I thought !)and he's nomming his pellets.

Sushi for Rabbits

Filling:
6 fenugreek crunchies (broken up and soaked in a splash of boiling water until mushy)
2 apple rings
1 over-ripe banana
Small handful of dandelion leaves
Small handful of hay of your choice
(Mixed and baked for 20-30mins depending on how firm/mushy your bunny likes!)

Wrapping:
Spring green leaf
Red pepper
Kiwi skin
Banana skin

Lilly's response to a spring-green-roll:
"firstly I was annoyed at being awoken, but then I was presented with this little roll, it smelt like my favourites, nana and fenugreek mmmmm, I ages the wrapping of spring green which was the normal high quality and then I ate the mushy inside super duper fast it was so yumm, then got to licks all my lips clean because it was a little gooey. I give it a 9/10, I would have given it a 10 if I hadn't been rudely woken, I wents straight to sleep after eating it, maybe if it was a 10 I would have nipped mummy until she'd given me more!"

I'm so impressed! The entries are so creative and tasty sounding. I've just got the last of the judges feedback, so I've just got to add it all up and I'll let you know the results :)

The Results

Sam&penny

Presentation: 35
Ingredients: 36
Creativity: 38
Taste: 10
Total: 119

Judge 1: what a brilliant and creative idea to use the edible treats as hanging treat toys for more fun, reminded me of a tropical feel but also Christmassy. Add on the extra bonus of giving the remainder to the RSPCA lovely gesture

Judge 2: I really love the presentation and how it is also fun.

Judge 3: lots of enrichment and interesting for bunnies. Lovey festive theme...

Judge 4:
Presentation: I love the kebab effect and how the treats have been strung, it looks colourful and very tasty even to a human.
Ingredients: I love the variety of ingredients used. There are some great calcium sources in there from the broccoli and the green beans. Carrot and coriander is always a winning combination too. The banana and blueberry stars sound delicious, like sweet but slightly tangy combination to really get the taste buds going.
Taste: Given your bunnie’s reaction, it sounds like you are on to a winner :thumb:
Creativity: I love the shapes and colours of your treat strand. I think hanging it on a string means the rabbits have to work that bit harder to get at it and that is a good thing. I also love the fact you used herbs, fruit and vegetables in addition to oats and pellets. It sounds like a fantastic food combo for underweight, elderly rabbits or rabbits living outdoors in winter too.
Well done :D

MabelsMum

Presentation: 35
Ingredients: 33
Creativity: 35
Total: 113

Judge 1: sounds very tasty, and I think my rabbits mouth would water to. I like how they are displayed as carrots and apples, you could even do the apples into Christmas puddings for xmas treats

Judge 2
: I like the apple shaped ones that look like apples, very clever!

Judge 3: A festive treat for bunnies

Judge 4:
Presentation: I love how you have shaped these treats into carrots and apples. It looks very professional. The rosemary and mint sprigs on top are really inspired.
Ingredients: I like the use of traditional ingredients and the grated carrot sounds like a nice addition that would blend well.
Taste: Given your bunnie’s reaction, it sounds like you are on to a winner :thumb:
Creativity: I love the shapes and general look of your treats. They look cute, tasty and easy to eat which is always important for bunnies.

Lucy-Lou

Presentation: 22
Ingredients: 31
Creativity: 25
Taste: 9
Total: 87

Judge 1: I like how you have used ingredients that most bunnies would love, sometimes even the simpliest of things are the tastiest x

Judge 2: Wow, it looked like the bunnies loved them!

Judge 3: A good effort .. Looks appealing to bunnehs.. Perhaps not too bunneh mummehs?

Judge 4:
Presentation: I like the rustic quality, it looks organic and it is nice to see different colours in amongst the green.
Ingredients: I like the combination of firm favourites such as the carrot and banana but you have also added an interesting twist in the form of cranberry. That will give it a nice sweet edge. Fibafirst will also be great for the fibre source of course!
Taste: Have to agree with your bunnies, it looks like they loved the treats but you made a grave error by not including the fenugreek crunchies :lol:
Creativity: I Like the combination of ingredients used and the coarse looking texture of the treats. I can imagine the bunnies will have to work their teeth hard on those which is fab for keeping them worn down.

Bunnytoes

Presentation: 24
Creativity: 26
Total: 93

Judge 1
: these would make great treats for bunnies in need of extra nutrients, ie, the alfalfa being used, I know Julie will benefit for your imaginative thought of best foods for her, and many RUers with bunnies who are in need of tempting to eat im sure they would be good.. Glad Julie enjoyed them

Judge 2: I love how they resemble cakes with the decoration!

Judge 3: Nom nom nom...

Judge 4:
Presentation: These treats look very fibre rich given the green colour and the dried apple on top gives them the look of Florentines, very yummy.
Ingredients: I love the amount and variety of hays used. Those are really great sources for fibre and calcium. Oats and banana are classic choices and I can imagine the apple juice will give it some zing!
Taste: Julie looks to be enjoying those treats very much!
Creativity: It is clear to see how much thought you put into the ingredients and also the taste. These yummy looking treats will probably taste delicious and be very filling. Lucky Julie.

MichelleBee

Presentation: 31
Ingredients: 29
Creativity: 27
Total: 97

Judge 1: I love how they are so perfectly round in shape. Simple ingredients yet easy to use and encourage other RUers to give it ago, my rabbit would love them

Judge 2
: They look very professional with such a lovely neat shape!!

Judge 3: All nice and unifrom and i bet bunnies smell fenugreek from a mile off!!

Judge 4:
Presentation: These treats look neat and symmetrical; the decorational herbs lend it a gourmet touch.
Ingredients: This sounds like an easy recipe to follow and very uncomplicated. Simple but effective with classic flavours and ingredients.
Taste: It sounds like your bunnies loved them.
Creativity: I love the simplicity in your presentation and ingredients. Sometimes its best to keep things uncomplicated.

Keletkezes

Presentation: 22
Ingredients: 30
Creativity: 23
Total: 85

Judge 1: may be simple but to a rabbit the forage idea is fabulous, gives them something to think about, and keeps them occupied, fun and tasty

Judge 2: I like the idea of the long lengths of hay used! Very good for bunnies!

Judge 3: Nommy for bunnehs...

Judge 4:
Presentation: Again I like the rustic quality, these look like hay biscuits that hold a surprise which must be pleasant for the Lopsy.
Ingredients: I love the use of rose petals, how original and of course not many people know rose petals are edible for rabbits so well done using something unusual. Banana and hay ends are great choices representing both the healthy and the sweet option.
Taste: Obviously I have to agree with Lopsy. It is very interesting about the treats maturing, a point I had not considered before. Clearly Lopsy has gourmet tastes though :thumb:
Creativity: I think you have winning combination of simplicity and rustic here but with just a hint of the exotic. How tantalizing for the tastebuds.

Pets mum

Presentation: 28
Ingredients: 32
Creativity: 28
Total: 97

Judge 1
: they sound lovely, and I am sure my rabbit would love to get a taste of these treats

Judge 2: Very neat! And they look like they went down a treat!

Judge 3: Look nice and colourful... Yummy!

Judge 4:
Presentation: These look very neat and colourful and best of all crunchy!
Ingredients: There is a good amount of filling and flavoursome ingredients here but not too many so as to distract the taste buds. And the crunch factor from the pellets and oats will make them all the more appealing.
Taste: I think we will go with Treacle’s judgement. Toffee not liking banana is unusual for a bunny but I am sure that minus the banana, he would have gobbled them up.
Creativity: You have variety of flavour and colour here as well as easy to eat shapes and a texture which is great for rabbits.

funny bunny

Presentation: 37
Creativity: 33
Total: 112

Judge 1: I love how they are displayed, like a bunny going to a dine out restaurant, the use of ingredients goes well, they do sound very tasty

Judge 2: I love the creativity used, bunny sushi is amazing! Combining fresh but baked treats is brill!

Judge 3: For bunnehs who have discerning, trendy palates

Judge 4:
Presentation: This is very unusual and the concept of sushi is fantastic like having an edible present wrapped in edible wrapping paper. How intriguing for the bunnies.
Ingredients: There is a good sweet versus healthy combo of ingredients here which is always sure to be a favourite. The wrappings are very interesting and exotic choices too. I had no idea kiwi could be eaten by rabbits.
Taste: Lilly sounds like a connoisseur albeit a sleepy one :lol:
Creativity: This is a very creative entry; you have gone to great lengths to make this treat interesting, appealing and intriguing. I can imagine Lilly’s curiosity was very much aroused by the unusual presentation and combination of smells and flavours.

Phew, all added up! That was very close. The top three are...

1. Sam&Penny
2. Mabels Mum
3. Funny bunny

A badge for each of you :) Well done!

And thanks to everyone that took part :D

Thanks for all your lovely comments judges :D judge 4, Lilly loves kiwi, I eat them regularly so checked if they were safe for her and they are :D she always gets a bit of the skin, it's high in fibre :) I eat most of the skin though because I'm odd!

Thanks Tamsin too for all the adding up :D

I'm very excited to get a badge :D Lilly is delighted I took part as there are lots of yummy treats in the fridge for her now :p

Thanks so much for the lovely comments from the judges...I'm thrilled! I love baking, so it seems only fair to put as much effort into baking for the buns! It's actually really easy to bake for them as you can just use whatever's in the fridge and experiment a bit with flavours :D

I'm really looking forward to receiving a badge...woohoo! Thanks Tamsin x

Thank you judges and thank you Tamsin for organising this. As they say, it's not the winning, it's the taking part, and it's really made me determined to do more baking for my bunnies. I had fun making them and they enjoyed the result :thumb: a badge woo hoo can't wait ! :D

Back