• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Luna is off to the vets to be spayed!

Nieve

Young Bun
I'm so nervous! she is a french lop, so she is relatively very big. I really hope she will be okay, I need some reassurance!! I love her so much, please tell me your stories of having your rabbits spayed/neutered and that they are okay ^^. I read 80% of female rabbits get ovary cancer, so I'm not taking that risk and having her done - So hopefully she will lead a long happy life! She is booked in for next wednesday! I've posted a photo of her for you to see :) she is a harlequin french lop, we believe. If you think her breed is different, I would love to know your knowledge! Thanks so much for reading:)

image_zps93a05fe4.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

What a beautiful bunny you are Luna ! I know how nervous you feel about having her spayed, I felt just the same when my girl Treacle, was "done" back in June. The only reason I had her done really, was that she was making here brothers life a misery, as she was so hormonal. When I took her to the vets to have her pedicure, I discussed it then. The vet I spoke to was lovely, she told me in detail exactly how the op would be done, and about after care. I asked if she would do the op, and she said yes if I asked the surgery to schedule it on her operating day. Although I was worried on day, I trusted the vet, and she was brilliant, ringing me through the afternoon to let me know how Treacle was doing. When she came home, she was very quiet, I kept her in the house, and stayed downstairs with her for 2 nights, probably didn't need to, just made me feel better. She was soon eating, poohing and back to her normal self, and never bothered her stitches at all.
I'm sure others will tell you the same, so try not to worry, easy to say I know, but calming vibes for you and your bunny x

thanks so much for replying Pets mum unfortunately she has had an accidental litter as she has chewed out of her hutch and managed to get to my little boy lionhead. the babies are around 2-3 months old and are being kept seperate now because she tried to attack them! (they are all girls) she gets very jealous, she doesn't like me even touching the guinea pigs, she has to pull my hand out of the cage lol! she is bonded with leo, the lionhead, so now they can happily be together:)

I've had my two boys and a girl who've all been neutered and I had no problems with any of them :) She might be a bit groggy and not wanting to eat or move about much after the spay, but just keep encouraging her and getting her to eat small bits and she should be back to normal in a day or two. The vets should give you advice on looking after her post-spay.

Is Leo lionhead neutered? They'll have a much better chance of getting on together if they are both spayed and neutered.

Good luck Luna! Xx

thanks for replying lucy-lou, i'm so glad that yours went ok! luna loves food so hopefully a speedy recovery!

leo isn't neutered, but he isn't aggresive at all. they are already bonded, they've known each other for around 5-6 months. he is very shy and timid compared to her, so she's more of the boss than him lol :)

We had Lucy Lou done, we were the same, she was really quiet and didn't eat or drink hardly anything for about a day, being a worried mum I called vets and they said to keep
An eye on her, and eventually she did. We made her area where she could move around and still be near biscuit the neutered male, when she was fully recovered after about a week maybe 2 I think we rebonded them and it was fine! But I stayed downstairs with them to make sure she was ok and I knew she was eating as she kept knocking the bowl over to eat the best bits lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had my Brie done on Tuesday, she's recovering well. Has a cone and medicine to give her twice a day. Been bit worried and I was the same as you, I was really nervous during the day but all was well. The vets know what they're doing and she'll be in good hands.

Got to get our little boy Blade done next. don't think its as bad for a boy though so I've heard. x

I had my Brie done on Tuesday, she's recovering well. Has a cone and medicine to give her twice a day. Been bit worried and I was the same as you, I was really nervous during the day but all was well. The vets know what they're doing and she'll be in good hands.

Got to get our little boy Blade done next. don't think its as bad for a boy though so I've heard. x

It's a less invasive and smaller operation for a boy so they tend to recover quicker. My boys were eating and bouncing around the evening after being neutered - it was as if they'd never even been to the vets!

Good luck with Blade xx

Back