• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Weekend foraging

keletkezes

Wise Old Thumper
Here's my haul from the weekend (taken on Sunday):

10343529_10101350689506198_3207930467666863276_n.jpg

That's before processing: I stripped the leaves off the willow and then gave it all a wash (which still didn't shift the orange and black leech I later found on the underside of one of the docks!) before shoving it in the airing cupboard. We have marigold from the disused unit near the railway bridge, lady's-bedstraw from Uni campus and the green bit by Tottle Brook/Science Park behind Beeston Road, docks from this Tottle Brook cut-through, plantain, the most massive dandelion leaves I've ever seen and a couple of bits of parsley of some description from there too and those willow sticks from a fallen branch further along the path.

The Tottle Brook/Science Park area is frequented by wildies (though less on the Beeston Road side), cats and some dogs on leads. The grass hasn't been mown for yonks because the tramworks preclude getting the mower in, so the weeds are lovely! There's also an awesome stand of fungi as usual :D I will go and collect more next weekend.

Oh wow good haul.

I got some plantain and dandelions yesterday, I'm going to don my plumbers gloves & get nettles & brambles later :wave:

Mumme got uz some bramblez, we got sum each but fort wed eet the same bIt
10360830_10152925755926742_1951793754818109824_n.jpg

Ooooh more
10615504_10152925848581742_5474622298136919093_n.jpg

On Saturday, I wandered down to the same little green area again and got about a kilo of forage in 15mins! I imagine lots of it is just grass because it's hard to be very specific with gloves on! I also picked up a fair few cherry tree and beech leaves, which I tried to pick out before drying, but some might have got through that particular quality control point! Here it all is, drying in the airing cupboard:

221eIkXYnA9wVNPqh23XnCi6Wh9RjKG9LQHw1Q-l06U=w471-h838

Not an amazing picture, sorry, I only had my phone on me ;P I got lots of dock, cleared a whole patch of dead nettle (there are loads) and tried for as much lady's bedstraw as I could. Also some wild parsley and, not in the picture because Lopsy got that straightaway, a couple of still-leafy hazel branches which he really enjoyed. No massive dandelions though as they'd got quite overgrown and I couldn't really get to them. I also didn't pick 'live' nettles as, while I had my gloves on while picking, I wouldn't when sorting!

Last week's stuff dried really well: the willow branch had been moved beyond easy reach so I didn't attempt that in the twilight this time for fears of dog poo! I also avoided anything too close to the path for the same dog fears :) The (two) wildies were out on the Science Park green area this time though, and last night round in the car park :)

Back