• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

I Can't Tell If My Bunny is Sick

I've been a bunny owner for over twenty years, and I'm usually good at being able to tell if any of my bunnies were sick, but this one has me a little stumped. . . .
I just brought home a 1 month old, albino mini-lop/ rex mix. Normally, I adopt my bunnies so they're usually already two years old before they wind up in my care, therefore, it's been a while since I've had a baby bunny and it's the first time I've owned an albino. Anyway, I notice that sometimes, when I pick him up, his eyes dart back and forth like he's dizzy, whether I'm moving or not. I haven't noticed his eyes doing this while he is on the floor, and it doesn't happen every time I'm holding him. Aside from his eyes doing this, I wouldn't be concerned. He's darting around, doing "binkies", climbing, eating, drinking, pooping, sleeping normally. No head-tilting or any other signs of illness like an ear infection. I just read that red-eyed bunnies have a behavior called "scanning" where they move their head from one side to the other; I've noticed him doing something similar, except his head usually goes just to one side, then back to neutral, then slowly to the side again. I can't be sure if this is his version of "scanning" or if it's another sign of dizziness. Typically, I'd take him to the vet, but it's going to get very cold where I live, and he's still so young and tiny I'm not sure how vulnerable he is, or even if the vet will be able to treat such a small bunny.
Any ideas? How much should I be worried?

If he is only 4 weeks old he is far too young to be away from his mother :cry:

Why was he removed from her and sold to you at 4 weeks of age ?

Given that he should still be taking milk from his mother what are you feeding him ?

The symptoms you describe sound like nystagmus (eye flicking) aswell as scanning. Nystagmus may be indicative of a neurological problem, especially Encephalitozoon Cuniculi. So really a consultation with a Vet is needed as it's impossible to make an accurate diagnosis over the internet. Providing the Kit with a heat pad and a safe carry box during transportation to a Vet should keep him warm during the journey.

I have to agree with Jane on all points but especially about keeping this kit warm and well fed. He really should not be from his mother and milk so young. You should go to a vet and see if they can, a vet can also prescribe kitten milk and critical care formula to help your kit top up his nutrition.

Rabbit wean at 4 weeks in the wild.

infact the last litters ive had at home have also been independant from about 4-5 weeks.

while its desirable of course that the little one stays with mum for a bit, I dont think kitten milk or anything is neccessary or ultimately helpful as it will just prolong any dependancy.

if hes eating/drinking let him get on with it. its what would happen in the wild.

infact the last litters ive had at home have also been independant from about 4-5 weeks.

while its desirable of course that the little one stays with mum for a bit, I dont think kitten milk or anything is neccessary or ultimately helpful as it will just prolong any dependancy.

if hes eating/drinking let him get on with it. its what would happen in the wild.

The Kit is showing neurological symptoms (nystagmus)

Just 'letting him get on with it' is not an option IMO

There is a HUGE difference between domestic and wild rabbits.

Rabbits should NEVER leave their mothers until they are 8 weeks minimum. Yes you are correct that kits in the wild generally wean at 4 weeks, but this is because their mothers are usually already looking after a brand new litter so they are forced to grow up quickly and wean onto solids, but for the remaining few weeks they should be with mum as they are developing important bacteria in the gut are are still having the odd feed from mum, even if it is much less often. Taking bunnies away at 4 weeks and selling them is generally considered ''Rabbit mill'' practice, which frankly I think is disgraceful...

I hope the little one see's a vet as its showing worrying symptoms :(

Back