• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

time scale for myxi

kim43

New Kit
I recently lost my beloved french lop Poppy to myxi. I am heartbroken and never want to put another rabbit through that if humanly possible. So my question is, how long does it take for the environment to be safe again? I have read that the virus can live in hutches/gardens etc and is not solely transfered between rabbits by insects. Poppy had the run of the house and garden, so it is impossible to keep another rabbit away from areas she has been. If anyone knows how long I should wait to be safe I would be very grateful. Even my vet didnt know.

The main risk is insect vectors, so I'd be more worried that it's active in the area and more insects could be carrying it, so I'd pick a rabbit that has already been vaccinated and the vaccination has had 2-3 weeks to take effect (immunity take a couple of weeks to build up it's not instant with the jab) before bring the bun home. Most rescues vaccinate so that shouldn't be too hard to find.

Although it can transfer rabbit to rabbit it's between mucus membranes, for example if one rabbit licked discharge when grooming an infected rabbit. I would clean the hutch/run with some vet grade disinfectant or bleach or a steam cleaner, but I wouldn't be too worried about grass, I don't think it will survive long/be particularly transferable exposed to UV, rain etc. and again the vaccination protection makes a big difference.

So sorry for your loss, one of my buns has myxi atm :( hes had it for about 2 weeks now and is back at the vets tomorrow. Do you mind me asking how long Poppy had it for? I hope you dont think im insensitive, im struggling to know what to do. Woody seems ok apart from a swollen nose and snuffles. Hes eating and drinking well, I just dont want to prolong his suffering if he's not going to get any better :'(

So sorry for your loss, one of my buns has myxi atm :( hes had it for about 2 weeks now and is back at the vets tomorrow. Do you mind me asking how long Poppy had it for? I hope you dont think im insensitive, im struggling to know what to do. Woody seems ok apart from a swollen nose and snuffles. Hes eating and drinking well, I just dont want to prolong his suffering if he's not going to get any better :'(

Hi. I dont mind you asking at all. I wish I had had some advice myself at the time. Poppy was diagnosed on Monday and despite antibiotics, and anti inflammatorys, intensive care at home such as syringe feeding and keeping her indoors, she passed away on thurs afternoon. If your bunny is still eating and drinking after 2 wks I personally would think he stands a good chance. The vet also gave me bisolvon to help clear her nose. I cant tell you how effective it was because she passed so suddenly. She had not been eating on her own since diagnosis. I wish so much with hindsight I had ended her suffering as soon as I was told, but I honestly didnt know what a terrible virus this is.
I wish you every luck in the world with Woody. If you get a chance to come back and let me know how hes doing I would love to know. Very best wishes!

I think im going to ask for some of the bisolvon, Woody is snuffly too. Even the lump on his eye doesn't even look that bad now, its mainly his nose I think. He's not gotten any worse since I took him to the vet last Tuesday. I noticed his nose looked swollen the week before that, I wish id gotten him to the vets then but I didnt realise it was a symptom of myxi. Fingers crossed my girls don't get it too :( I will deffo come on and update, I have a post in the health section.

Back