• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Why Are They So Hungry

They both have become so hungry for food. They are eating loads of hay ( I know its good for them so i am glad they are eating it). I have already increased there hard feed so they are getting 2 egg cups each per day and still they are biting my ankles because they are hungry. What else can i do so they are not as hungry?

Any help will be appreciated.

If it were me, i'd probably slightly up the pellets (if thats what you are feeding them) and just give them loads more hay,

They're probably not hungry, if they have hay and are eating it they won't go hungry :) My pair don't get greens because of their stomachs too, just an egg cup of pellets between them a day and a bit of forage/readigrass but the rest is just hay. They have hay topped up regularly, fresh hay kick starts them into carrying on the hay eating!
They act like they are starving all the time but they're just greedy.

If they are eating plenty of hay I wouldn't let it worry you too much. My male bun Barney is food obsessed and would eat all day if he could. He always acts like an idiot at meal times, like he's been starved. He gets plenty, more than he should really.

Maybe its just down to excitement!, do you scatter feed the pellets? This can extend feeding time if they have forage for their pellets?

Maybe its just down to excitement!, do you scatter feed the pellets? This can extend feeding time if they have forage for their pellets?

No they get fed seperately with their own bowls as when I used to scatter feed Pepsi used to chase Skye and nip her so she didn't get the food

I really doubt it's cos they're hungry, they might just have learnt that nipping you gets them more food and they're greedy! If they have a constant supply of hay and they're eating it then they can't go hungry :thumb:

I hide food inside hay in a toilet roll tube, it makes it last longer. Also apple branches or willow to chew give their teeth something to do.

They are probably just excited to see you and wanting a reaction of some kind (???). Guess the sight of you means food. My lot go crazy when they see me (Frosty chases the other three away, esp his brother, Snowflake). Both pairs chase their partners away (although everybody settles down to eat together after a few mins).

Sounds like they are getting a good amount. Herbs are often easier to digest than other greens as are things like brambles and plantain.

Hope things calm down for you soon.

When Bella was inside she used to charge at me grunting at me when I came to feed her, she would nip me too! Acting like she was starved, shes ao greedy and gets more than she should. I tried them in the muesli type of food one time and they were not impressed :-/

Hoppity and Hector act like poor wee starved souls too, Hoppity grunts and would eat my hand while I'm putting her food in while Hector is actually half way in the bowl when it's still in the air. When I take them out their crunchies at night they throw themselves at the front of the cage and nearly jam their faces through the bars whilst climbing over each other. Yet when I look out the window they're happily sitting together eating loads of hay. They're just a pair of greedy monsters who when they see me don't think "oh lovely mum who keeps us happy, fed and warm." No they think "Food woman, food woman!" :lol: Hoppity is an ankle biter, I just always wear boots when I'm out with them now.

Back