• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Recycling bedding in litter tray?

louise200

Alpha Buck
I was wondering if anyone else reuses the old bedding (hay and straw) that isn't damp but is 'used' as it were, in the litter trays? I've been collecting it all up when I change it out and getting quite a store, seems a shame to bin it and our 3 compost bins are full up :) They are really good about only going in their litter trays so it's all dry..

I tried it this morning so will see how it goes. :)

I change the litter trays daily, but they tend to pull loads of their hay onto the floor so I reuse that in the litter tray :p fresh hay in hay racks etc and also a bit on top of the litter tray. If they've weed on the hay on the floor I just change it all but most of the time it's dry so no point in wasting it, it can be weed on instead :D

My pair have a hanging basket filled with hay and each morning any uneaten hay in there gets plonked in the litter trays. The next day is it thrown away. 'upstairs' they have a haybox and every couple of days I empty that and just put it on the floor for bedding. Amazing how yummy it suddenly becomes. Im sure they think its fresh hay lol

I change the litter trays every day and try to compost as much as possible. I have two large bins but find I can't put too much hay in them, without layering with shredded paper/newspaper as it all gets too wet and cloggy. I really feel bad when I have to put used hay in my bin. Our local recycling centre sells compost it makes from garden refuse and I wish I could add my hay to their garden refuse bins.

Thanks for replies. Well they did seem confused for a while about presence of a hay/straw mix in the litter trays and we've had some wet patches in the other areas. I wonder if I don't actually need to use straw in the litter trays.. Does anyone just use all hay for everything? My two eat hay but also eat the straw too.

I have been using straw for the bedding as it's warmer (since they use their bedroom area as their litter area and so far my attempts to move them away from that have failed) and they sleep in the larger bit of the hutch.

My OH is getting me a shed for my birthday in a couple of weeks (wahoo) which will be for them, so once insulated I might change it all around to suit better. :-D

I always have a fresh load in the hay rack and any bits that go on the floor go in the litter tray with usually a fresh handful of hay, litter trays get emptied preopery every about 3 days, sepending on the weather really but deffo a big change once a week and top up in between and yes I use the hay that gets pulled about :wave:

sepending on the weather really but deffo a big change once a week and top up in between and yes I use the hay that gets pulled about
DEP1T

Cheers :) I change litter once a day and the bedding weekly with spot cleaning daily. Bless em, I wish they'd use the bedroom as a bedroom tho!

I use a hay/straw mix for the litter tray. That way they have a choice of what to eat while they poo :lol:

I throw everything out once a day and put fresh in there

Back