• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Outcome of an eventful, upsetting and exhausting day - meet Ernest and Jessie

Santa

Wise Old Thumper
Some of you may have seen that Lou and I rescued 6 bunnies from a house back at the start of July. http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?426361-Meet-the-Bagpuss-bunnies Breeding had got out of control, so we took all the females (to stop it getting any worse!) and two of the males from the earlier litters, and sadly had to leave mum with a 1 week old litter, dad, and 2 boys who they wanted to keep, with the promise that we'd try and find a rescue place for the litter and would be back in touch when the litter would be old enough to leave mum.

Scroll forwards to that time - I had sorted out a reputable rescue place and had tried to get back in contact but with no joy. They live about an hour away from me so it's not like I could have just popped by on the off-chance. Eventually several weeks ago I left a message saying that the rescue couldn't hold the place open forever, so if I didn't hear from them by the weekend I would assume they were all sorted and didn't need any more help...although in my heart of hearts I knew that they weren't really sorted.

Scroll forwards once again to this week, and they finally get back in touch and ask for help. He says that there haven't been any more litters, so that's a good thing at least, and that there are 'about five' babies who are now in a hutch on their own away from mum. At 17 weeks old obviously my concern would be that they are mixed sex and fertile. I spoke with Lou and we thought it would be best if we went over together to sex them and probably take the girls from the litter, so that at least again there couldn't be any more breeding and they could be spayed quickly if necessary. I agreed to go over at the weekend and would text him a date/time to confirm. Heard nothing back, so got in touch again and eventually pinned him down to Sat PM. Lou was out elsewhere but on the end of the phone for much needed moral support! Half way there, my phone rings, it was the owner. I miss the call because I'm driving, but shortly afterwards get a text which says 'there's a problem with the rabbits'. I stop the car and try to ring him back but get no reply, so I text back asking if I should still come, and he replies saying yes please. When I turn up, he is pretty upset and says that three of the babies have died and one of them is dying. He had panicked when I was arriving and for reasons best known to himself had taken mum out of her hutch and put her in with one of her sons, sigh. I had a look at the babies, one of them was lying on his side, breathing his last, and the other looked a very small, poorly little thing. As you can imagine, plans for what we were going to do went out the window. Helpfully, they had concluded that rabbits are not for them, and asked if I could help rehome all of them. I didn't have anywhere to take all of them right then, so I have taken mum - which means there are no longer any females there so definitely won't be any more breeding - and the two babies.

Being in an unfamiliar town on a Saturday pm, I didn't know whether to try and find a local vet to at least help the very poorly one over the bridge, or to try and get back to my own. I decided that by the time I'd faffed around trying to find a vet and queued in Saturday afternoon town traffic in an unfamiliar place to try and find one, I'd be better off pegging it back to my own, which is between my house and where I was, so wouldn't take too long to get to. I text Lou and asked her to ring my vet and warn them I was coming, so that they could be prepared for me when I got there, which they were (thanks Lou).

We loaded mum into the car complete with her delightful hutch, which fitted in its entirety into my nissan micra!
IMG_5153_zpsd56dca7c.jpg

Yummy!
IMG_5159_zpsda3f3b81.jpg

and here she is saying hi at home, she's covered in scabs and cuts, but is now in a nice clean 6ft hutch where she can rest, she must be exhausted after 3 litters in 4 months! I've called her Jessie.
IMG_5155_zps0517a22d.jpg

I put the live baby in the carrier I had brought with me, and the dying baby into a cardboard box which I popped onto the passenger seat. Obviously at that point I have no idea whether they have something horribly contagious like VHD or cocci, so I'm desperately trying to keep everyone as separate as possible and to not handle them too much because obviously I'm going home to other bunnies! Sadly the dying one passed away before I could get there, I think he was out of it anyway, he had been cheyne stokes breathing all the way. The nurse checked for me and he was a little boy. The other little lad, now called Ernest, was also a concern. Quite bright, but extremely underweight and with a body temperature of 35.5. At around 4 months old he only weighed 810g :cry: He was popped on a heat pad and wrapped in a towel and he sat there warming up and munching on some hay we gave him

IMG_5148_zpsef6b9069.jpg

IMG_5149_zps8b9f03f9.jpg

IMG_5150_zps8fca8684.jpg

Given the fact that he was still fairly bright and low rather than high body temp, we don't think it was VHD (phew!) Cocci would clearly be a strong suspect so he is being treated for cocci, although his tummy was completely empty so he clearly hadn't had enough to eat. He has done nothing but eat since coming home, and he is producing pretty nice, normal poos. So it makes me suspect that maybe it was simply malnutrition/hypothermia rather than anything contagious - there was that really frosty morning a couple of days ago which I think could easily have killed these vulnerable little ones in a damp hutch.

So there are still three boys left at the house, for whom I am seeking reputable rescue places ASAP. If anyone can help, please do let me know! At the moment there is one white boy who is living on his own, and two black ones (dad and son) who are together - although in all honesty I suspect they are not all that happy together but there's nowhere for them to hide from each other so they may as well get on, so I think they would probably be better off being separated. They are currently living here, so you can see why we are keen to get them out as soon as possible! When we first visited, mum was in the bottom half with her new litter and dad was in the top part (complete with broken bit so only part of the space) with 8 babies :shock:

IMG_5145_zpsa728123f.jpg

IMG_5147_zps7415ea09.jpg

The only silver lining I can see out of all this is that had those babies not died, they would have wanted to keep some of the rabbits and there's nothing we would have been able to do about it. At least now they realise that rabbits aren't the nice easy children's pets they had thought, and asked for help rehoming all of them. And right now, there are no females left there so they can't breed out of control any more. I just need to get those three last boys safe (and those hutches safely destroyed) and we can get some closure on the situation.

Not the Saturday I was anticipating! Binky free little boy and your other litter mates, I'm so sorry I couldn't get there early enough to save you :( We will do our best for your remaining sibling and your mum - and if any rescues are able to help with freeing those remaining three, please do let me know. I won't hold my breath though because I know how snowed under everyone is.

Last edited:
Oh how sad, I hope Ernest recovers fully and they all find happy homes to go to. What a traumatic day for you but it sounds like none of them would have made it much longer without your help.

Santa, you are an angel, you really are... Poor wee souls... Binky free little buns...

I cant rehome but I didnt want to read and run.

I hope you manage with the help of some lovely RU'ers to rehome the buns..

Fee xxx

Blimey! :shock: I don't even know what to say! :shock: well done you for rescuing those poor bunnies :cry: they are gorgeous :love: so sorry to hear about the babies who passed to the bridge though :cry:

It's so sad isn't it, but you did all you could do. I would have bundled them all in the car and said goodbye but that's me. I do hope they look after the 3 until new homes come up.

They seem good, thanks Sarah. Little Ernest is growling and lunging at me whenever I put my hand in, I don't think it's fear aggression, I think he's just trying to protect his food, poor lamb. Jessie is very shy and quiet but she seems to be fine, I think she's just taking it all in and learning to relax.

I would have bundled them all in the car and said goodbye but that's me.

Oh believe me I wanted to - but it isn't as easy as that, walking away knowing you can't do everything has got to be the hardest part. If I was going to bundle them in the car, where would I put them? Three loose unneutered male rabbits bouncing about while I was driving up a motorway? In a car with two bunnies who potentially could have had something horribly infectious like VHD? And then when I got back home where would I put them? I am already over my limit by taking mum and boy as I only had one empty hutch, which was why I was going to take the girls from the place yesterday; another 3 unneutered boys would have caused mayhem even if I did have somewhere to put them, not to mention possibly causing the three girls I already have from the earlier litter to fight or bringing in disease as I wouldn't have anywhere to quarantine them. Not to mention the cost of an extra 3 boys - that's £300 straight off for vaccinations and neutering on top of the 6 I already have factored in, I just don't have that lying around to do that.

Unfortunately it is often the case that people who rescue rabbits on instinct without having walked through the consequences or have the capacity to deal with it often end up needing to be bailed out themselves, or turn into hoarders. Walking away is incredibly hard to do, but unfortunately I had to prioritise, and in this case I think I was right to take the babies and get mum out so there was no more risk of litters and work as quickly as possible to try and find somewhere to take the remaining three.

Last edited:
And that's why I think these things are incredibly hard - I would bet that you went through far worse a time yesterday than the owners did.

So glad that they are doing well. Ernest must think he's in food heaven.

Well done for rescuing them thumb: I really hope that someone can help the remaining ones, as you say, you have to bear in mind your existing rabbits and the ones you are rescuing and ensure you don't take too much on, in terms of time, space, and money, so I completely understand why you had to leave the others. Fingers crossed they'll be out of there soon. :thumb: I'm glad they aren't going to be keeping rabbits any longer.

Thank goodness they asked for help ... it must be absolutely heart breaking having to leave some of them. The ones you did save look lovely. Well done.

Oh my :cry: Thank goodness you were able to help some of them before it was too late. Maybe he just 'forgot' to feed them :cry:

I've just given Jessie a proper look over, she's got matching wounds either side of her ribs, they look fairly new. It looks to me as if she's either been attacked by something like a cat if they let her out in the garden for a run (I don't know if they did) or hump wounds if she's been in with others recently :? So to be on the safe side, I've booked her in for her spay this Wednesday and in the meantime she has pain relief and abx. I'm not thrilled about booking a spay so soon, but in the circumstances I think it's probably the best option, and they can take a thorough look at all her wounds and clean them up if necessary at the same time.

I've just given Jessie a proper look over, she's got matching wounds either side of her ribs, they look fairly new. It looks to me as if she's either been attacked by something like a cat if they let her out in the garden for a run (I don't know if they did) or hump wounds if she's been in with others recently :? So to be on the safe side, I've booked her in for her spay this Wednesday and in the meantime she has pain relief and abx. I'm not thrilled about booking a spay so soon, but in the circumstances I think it's probably the best option, and they can take a thorough look at all her wounds and clean them up if necessary at the same time.

I agree it's probably the best way forward in the circumstances. Hope she copes well on Wednesday.

They seem good, thanks Sarah. Little Ernest is growling and lunging at me whenever I put my hand in, I don't think it's fear aggression, I think he's just trying to protect his food, poor lamb. Jessie is very shy and quiet but she seems to be fine, I think she's just taking it all in and learning to relax.

Oh believe me I wanted to - but it isn't as easy as that, walking away knowing you can't do everything has got to be the hardest part. If I was going to bundle them in the car, where would I put them? Three loose unneutered male rabbits bouncing about while I was driving up a motorway? In a car with two bunnies who potentially could have had something horribly infectious like VHD? And then when I got back home where would I put them? I am already over my limit by taking mum and boy as I only had one empty hutch, which was why I was going to take the girls from the place yesterday; another 3 unneutered boys would have caused mayhem even if I did have somewhere to put them, not to mention possibly causing the three girls I already have from the earlier litter to fight or bringing in disease as I wouldn't have anywhere to quarantine them. Not to mention the cost of an extra 3 boys - that's £300 straight off for vaccinations and neutering on top of the 6 I already have factored in, I just don't have that lying around to do that.

Unfortunately it is often the case that people who rescue rabbits on instinct without having walked through the consequences or have the capacity to deal with it often end up needing to be bailed out themselves, or turn into hoarders. Walking away is incredibly hard to do, but unfortunately I had to prioritise, and in this case I think I was right to take the babies and get mum out so there was no more risk of litters and work as quickly as possible to try and find somewhere to take the remaining three.

No I wasn't being derogatory. I have always had a high regard for you. But we all must do what we feel is right :):):):):)

That picture of the hutch full of poo is absolutely disgusting. I really can't understand what goes through the minds of people who keep animals like this (I suspect not a lot.)

Well done you for taking the girls, they are very lucky you were there. Hope the boys get sorted soon xx

That's horrendous, well done for saving them, I hope someone can help with the others. You did completely the right thing knowing the limitations on what you can do, it would be lovely to be able to save everybun in need but sadly completely impractical. Best of luck to you xx

What a horrible situation. Well done for getting Jessie and Ernest to safety. They both look gorgeous so lets hope they find their forever homes quickly.

Oh how dreadful. Well done for getting those out of there. You did a lot to try and save them and look after the ones you could. Bless xx

Thanks for your support everyone :D Still working on rescue spaces for those remaining three boys, fingers crossed we can get something sorted soon. Jessie has been to see my vet today, she's had a shot of antibiotics for her various wounds and she can't feel any babies at the moment. So her spay is going ahead as planned on Wednesday just in case she was caught by her son the other day, that way we can be reassured that the poor lamb will never have a litter again. Ernest also came back for a re-check. Today he weighed 965g so he is doing well too :D His body condition is still appalling and I suspect that most of that weight gain is simply food in the GI tract rather than actual substantive weight gain, but he is producing lovely crumbly poos and has perked right up. So we think that there probably isn't anything infectious, it was probably just that the other poor little loves didn't have the body condition to survive that sudden frost the other morning :( Onwards and upwards!

Back