• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Giants

aaammmyyy

Mama Doe
Can anybody provide some statistics about giant rabbits and how their care can be different from 'smaller' rabbits? :wave:

I think the breed is 'Californian Giant' though I could be wrong

Im looking for weight/life span/dietry differences/accommodation and how they're different to smaller buns, and also any health problems they can get that smaller buns can't or that giants are more prone too

Ive looked on Google but trust the wise people of RU more!;)
Thanks in advance Xx

Hi Amy. I've not got any statistics but I've got experience with giants.

I'm not too sure on the life span of a giant, although I imagine it to be a couple years or so less than a small/medium bun. Care is pretty much the same, however they are more difficult to handle because of their weight/length. My giants live in a 12ft shed/run which I think is perfect for the two of them. Just remember most tunnels/toys sold in pet shops are generally too small. I don't know of any health problems they could be more prone to getting.

Hi Amy. I've not got any statistics but I've got experience with giants.

I'm not too sure on the life span of a giant, although I imagine it to be a couple years or so less than a small/medium bun. Care is pretty much the same, however they are more difficult to handle because of their weight/length. My giants live in a 12ft shed/run which I think is perfect for the two of them. Just remember most tunnels/toys sold in pet shops are generally too small. I don't know of any health problems they could be more prone to getting.

Thankyou, ive read that because they're bigger it puts a strain on their heart and joints so they can be more prone to certain problems but that's why I came here to check!

Your rabbits sound very lucky, I did think about toys being too small - im not sure if them tubes that are like drain pipes would be any good for giants but its all stuff im considering/weighing up! :wave

I have an English giant, or so I'm told. She is just over 5kg. She is different to my other smaller buns as she is more like a dog, will sit by my feet and let me stroke her, not sure if that's typical of the breed though, or if I'm just lucky with her.
I would say they definitely need to live in a shed with large aviary attached, to me even the largest hutch and normal height run wouldn't be suitable.
I have heard they can have heart conditions, something to do with their size/weight.
Runaround do tunnels and extra wide/height mesh tunnels which fit giants. I have a den pipe as a tunnel between the shed and aviary, it's perfect.
Are you thinking of getting a giant?

Oh and the other thing, is getting them to the vets! Oh my, I have a dog crate at the moment but it's so heavy when she is in it, I'm currently looking for an alternative.:?

Thankyou, ive read that because they're bigger it puts a strain on their heart and joints so they can be more prone to certain problems but that's why I came here to check!

Your rabbits sound very lucky, I did think about toys being too small - im not sure if them tubes that are like drain pipes would be any good for giants but its all stuff im considering/weighing up! :wave

With regards to their heart & joints the best thing to do is ensure they have plenty of exercise and maintain a healthy weight :)

Oh and the other thing, is getting them to the vets! Oh my, I have a dog crate at the moment but it's so heavy when she is in it, I'm currently looking for an alternative.:?

Getting mine to the vets is a nightmare! I always get back ache carrying them around haha.

I've thought about doing this before! Wheels would be a godsend. Any recommendations?
I bought a Ferplast Atlas Professional and the wheels separately. It only arrived this week so waiting for my Dad tomorrow so he can put it all together so it's tight (I'm a weakling) but I already know it's going to make life easier!
My OH told me I should buy a rope to attach so I could pull it :lol: he also said I should have just bought one of those pull along trailers that you see kids with in American movies (like matilda when she has it full of books) :roll:

When I was looking online, there were loads of fabric ones :roll:

Eta: they're like of £100 new. I was trawling ebay, gumtree etc for weeks to find one :oops:

Last edited:
I bought a Ferplast Atlas Professional and the wheels separately. It only arrived this week so waiting for my Dad tomorrow so he can put it all together so it's tight (I'm a weakling) but I already know it's going to make life easier!
My OH told me I should buy a rope to attach so I could pull it :lol: he also said I should have just bought one of those pull along trailers that you see kids with in American movies (like matilda when she has it full of books) :roll:

When I was looking online, there were loads of fabric ones :roll:

Eta: they're like of £100 new. I was trawling ebay, gumtree etc for weeks to find one :oops:

Yeah I bet they aren't cheap! Will keep my eye out, thank you :)

I have an English giant, or so I'm told. She is just over 5kg. She is different to my other smaller buns as she is more like a dog, will sit by my feet and let me stroke her, not sure if that's typical of the breed though, or if I'm just lucky with her.
I would say they definitely need to live in a shed with large aviary attached, to me even the largest hutch and normal height run wouldn't be suitable.
I have heard they can have heart conditions, something to do with their size/weight.
Runaround do tunnels and extra wide/height mesh tunnels which fit giants. I have a den pipe as a tunnel between the shed and aviary, it's perfect.
Are you thinking of getting a giant?

Thank you! :wave:
Im thinking about getting a giant but it's very early days, I have other things to sort out first and after that I would then be 'financially stable' to take on another rabbit depending if somebun is still available! So right now im just researching them to see if I can provide right for them, ive always wanted a puppy but a giant is as probably as close;) :lol::lol:
My vets is a 5 minute walk from my house but we drive there as its easier for the buns, I bet she is really heavy in there though!
Maybe if I get one on wheels like tashp90 is talking about I can wheel him/her up the road :lol::lol:

Well I've had a French Lop and now a conti. Both total house rabbits.

On the basis of that sample size(!):

1. Yes they are more like small dogs who want fuss, more or less constantly; Hector even more so. He is an amazing companion and we are really close.

2. Food - they eat vast amounts. Even if you have a good hay eater, which Dylan was but Hector isn't, the food bill is high.

3. Picking Hector up is a no and, at 9kg, can be a challenge but he's very compliant with hopping into a carrier and keeps himself spotlessly clean. Dylan was 5 kg and easier because he was docile.

4. Health wise - poor Dylan had a tumour so only made 4 but I don't think that was breed-related. Hector has a delicate tum but, fingers crossed, is otherwise healthy. Apparently joints and hearts can be a problem. I ensure he gets lots of exercise (the stairs!) so he's in good shape. :)

5. Toys - cat tubes, dog beds/crates, giant willow balls. The rabbit stuff tend to be too small.

6. Energy - they probably don't have more than little buns but, being bigger, it appears they do! Baby Hector in particular was unreal. Bigger teeth = bigger destruction if you aren't careful...

I wouldn't be without my big man but they aren't for the faint hearted.... :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1. Yes they are more like small dogs who want fuss, more or less constantly; Hector even more so. He is an amazing companion and we are really close.

2. Food - they eat vast amounts. Even if you have a good hay eater, which Dylan was but Hector isn't, the food bill is high.

3. Picking Hector up is a no and, at 9kg, can be a challenge but he's very compliant with hopping into a carrier and keeps himself spotlessly clean. Dylan was 5 kg and easier because he was docile.

4. Health wise - poor Dylan had a tumour so only made 4 but I don't think that was breed-related. Hector has a delicate tum but, fingers crossed, is otherwise healthy. Apparently joints and hearts can be a problem. I ensure he gets lots of exercise (the stairs!) so he's in good shape. :)

5. Toys - cat tubes, dog beds/crates, giant willow balls. The rabbit stuff tend to be too small.

6. Energy - they probably don't have more than little buns but, being bigger, it appears they do! Baby Hector in particular was unreal. Bigger teeth = bigger destruction if you aren't careful...

Still can't believe Hector is 9kg :love:

Oh wow 9kg :shock::love:

I was wondering about food and if they eat the same as smaller rabbits, and obviously portion sizes!

Cat/dog toys are a good idea too, thanks :wave
Hector sounds adorable, too :love:

Hector :love: it's thanks to your Hector that I really want a Conti one day. Right now my six are more than enough, but hopefully in a very very long time when they've gone to the bridge, I'd like a Conti :love:

Oh wow 9kg :shock::love:

I was wondering about food and if they eat the same as smaller rabbits, and obviously portion sizes!

Cat/dog toys are a good idea too, thanks :wave
Hector sounds adorable, too :love:

Thank you. He is a giant softie. :love:

Hector's diet is a bit of an odd one. He simply does not do hay. He does grass and plenty of forage (I pick it and dry it so have my work cut out). He then has SS pellets (in accordance with the recommended portion for a 5kg bun). He also has two scoops of pro-fibre and a bit of veg. Probably a couple of celery sticks and some carrot top or chicory. He'll have a go at any food though.... :)

Everyone comments that Rosie is like a small dog too!
They are quite demanding, and do need lots of space. Mine have 15 ft sq run but even then she needs lots of free range garden time to be able to do proper bunny 500's.

Aside from heart and joint problems, they can be more prone to sore hocks too because of the weight on their feet so need a soft flooring. I've just put a rug and mats down on the wooden floor to protect her mahoosive feet!

Yep. He's a tiny bit under 9 kg. He's very lean though so it's definitely a healthy weight for him :)

Funny how they differ isn't it. Barney and Chloe are both 5.5kg but Barney looks quite chunky whereas Chloe is very slim.

Back