• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

small spurs

lollypop1984

Young Bun
Hi guys i was just looking for a little help/advice, i took my 2 rabbits to the vets yesterday for there winter MOT and they both have small spurs not there teeth. the vet says there is nothing to worry about yet but i need to take them back in 2 months. They both had spurs a few months back but i got them filed down while they were under antithetic being neutered.
Does anyone have any advice that could help me wear them down so they don't have to have they filed down again (hopefully)
Thanks

I am assuming that they are both young Rabbits ? Are they related ?

Spurs that develope at just a few months of age may be partly due to a genetic problem, but diet is still very relevant. The most important part of the diet is hay/grass. So you need to do everything possible to maximise the amount of hay they eat. Even if this eventually means they have no hard feed (pellets etc) at all. There are a wide variety of hays available aswell as dried forages. These and edible brambles and weeds and occasionally some fresh herbs/dark leafy greens will provide adequate nutrition for a healthy adult Rabbit.

What is their exact diet at the moment ? Do they actually eat a lot of hay ? Providing access to hay 24/7 is of little benefit if the Rabbit hardly eats any and fills up on pellets etc.

Excellent advice as always from Jane, I can't add to that. I had a dental bun once that had to have dentals around every 6 months, but once I managed to get her eating more hay (by reducing pellets to an egg cup full per day) she actually didn't need any more dentals after that :thumb:

I have 1 rex and 1 mini lop they are both around 7 months, they had a dental when i got them neutered 2/3months ago, the spurs they had were only small but i thought while they were under i would get them done. they have meadow hay, timothy hay and woodlands herby harvest and camomile harvest. food wise they have natures touch which i have been mixing in the science select. they have apple branches to gnaw on.
Thank you for your advice

Back