• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Best food for older rabbit

steph1705

Warren Scout
My boy rabbit is a unknown age although we guess he is around 6/7 ish what is the best kinda nugget to be on, he has been on excel but is currently on science selective. He seems to have dropped a bit of weight since his new wife arrived a while back. They have a bowl of nuggets, hay and veg everyday.

I'm also worried he is going to be cold. He always throws his hay downstairs and will not tolerate anything at all in his bedroom. He has a snuggle safe but just throws that outside and down the stairs as well. [emoji16]

Aww bless, how is his wife's weight? If she's a little porky it might be she's getting an unfair share, otherwise just increasing the pellets very slightly might sort it.

She seems the same as when we got her,we got her from the r spa. What's the best thing to feed to put weight on? I will increase nuggets but as there are always some left I'm not sure the extra will get eaten

If there is dry food left over then a vet check would be a good idea, just to make sure there isn't a reason for the weight loss. A rabbit with full time access to pellets should have no problem keeping weight on. A little bit of porridge oats help weight gain as a short term aid :)

No, you can feed them dry in small quantities or mixed with a little water, but not actually cooked. They are usually sold as porridge oats or rolled oats, any supermarket should have them :)

Back