• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Found a dead mouse in bag of hay!

Mazzy

Young Bun
As the title says really but thankfully it was in a newly opened bag that hadn't been fed to the buns yet so I have just gone and out and bought a new bag for them in the meantime and I have contacted the seller who is sending me a new bag.
I just wondered how common it is so I know wether to wear gloves in the future when handling the hay, I don't really fancy manhandling mice with bare hands.

:shock: I found a dead wasp in a bag of mine before, and a dead beetle in another and i was very cautious after each occasion :lol: I wouldn't say it happens too often though, just shocking/gross when it does

Eeeewwwwwww......

Last year i found a dead, decomposed bird in my farm baled hay,,, it was gross and stunk to high heavens...

... Ooooh........ What kind of teeth? A set a false ones, human or something else???:shock:

Very creepy....

I found a rather crispy lizard once, wasn't there a family who found a deers leg or did I dream that?

So on the basis of what's mentioned above I potentially got off lightly, I think the rubber gloves are going on in future!

... Ooooh........ What kind of teeth? A set a false ones, human or something else???:shock:

Very creepy....

I'm really not sure what they belonged to! It was pretty gross though. Maybe a sheep, although I don't know what their teeth look like to be honest!

It was only one bag out of however many I've had in the last 10 months so it's not that common but it does happen. I did find match sticks in another bag too.

Last edited:
I think the deer leg was a newspaper story rather than a forum one!

I don't think finding dead things is common, most of us have kept buns for years, if not decades and never found anything. I've only ever found the odd rock or twig or bit of balers twine but hay is a natural product that gets left in a field to dry, so sometimes horrible things end up mixed in.

I'm not going to take precautions like gloves (that might change if and when I find anything :shock:) but I do try to always shake hay out a bit when I give it to the buns so I should hopefully spot anything!

Eww, I don't mind touching dead insects but I'd be grossed out at touching a dead mouse, or any other mammal or bird for that matter! I always wear gloves though because I'm allergic to hay.

I've found several dead insects before in my bagged hay, a cicada and a beetle, can't remember what else. And I once had this black dried stuff in my hay, it was like tar and the hay was stuck to it.

The deers leg was in the news. I have found dead beetles and the remains of a mouse before. Its not nice at all but it is the nature of farming, even herbivores (animal and human) have an impact.

Yep..I've had a dead mouse in hay as well.
And I found a man's glove in a bag too...had been swearing at my fussy babies just before for not eating the hay from that bag too...They all got an apology and an extra treat.😄

Years ago someone on here found a decomposing frog in their hay I think. Urgh.

Ten years of rabbits and I've never found anything horrible but I tend to buy small bags of commercially packed hay so I suppose they go through more processing and dust extraction and dead things would be easier to spot. It often crosses my kind though!

I found a very flat wild rabbit in a bag once - put me off doling out hay for months, my poor mother had to do it!

Back