• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Time scale for Myxomatosis

el1983

Mama Doe
Im just wondering if anyone can help me understand the the process for Myxomatosis. Woody has it and I know there is the incubation period then it starts to show symptoms. He has a lump on his upper eyelid and a swollen nose and snuffles but how long does it take for more symptoms to show? Do more lumps come within days or is what he has now what he will get kind of thing? Sorry if im not making sense. His first symptom of a swollen nose was probably a week ago now. It says it can take 14 days for them to die, is that without treatment? He doesnt seem any worse and is eating still (touch wood).

Thank you x

Oh I'm so sorry that Woody has come down with myxomatosis :( Is he vaccinated and is his vaccination up-to-date? That makes a big difference to the process and possible outcomes.

His vaccination isnt up to date :( I had another baby and I forgot all about the boosters I feel so guilty :'( I dont know if my girls will get it. Hes on baytril and metacam, got to take him back next week unless he takes a turn forcthe worse.

There are two form of myxi, the normal full blown version where they get swollen eyes/gentiles/ears and the milder nodular version which involves one or more lumps. It sounds like your rabbit has the nodular version.

It's possible the only symptoms your bunny will show is the lump he already has. The lumps usually get a bit worse looking then drop off and then gradually heal - it can take 4-6 weeks for the full process. It's possible the swollen nose may develop into a nodule.

I imagine the 14 days is quoted for normal myxi, that usually develops quite quickly over a few days and most pets are put down quite quickly. With nodular, a bun is much more likely to survive. Treating the symptoms and offering supporting care is the important thing.

A few people have had bunnies with nodular myxi so you can probably find topics with photos/time scales to give you an idea of what to expect :)

Awww I'm sorry :( I don't have personal experience of nursing an unvaccinated bun through myxi but there are a couple of members on here who have, so hopefully one of them will see this thread and be able to advise you. I do know that bunnies kept at warmer temperatures have a better chance of beating it, so if he can come indoors (he would then have to stay in all winter as he wouldn't be acclimatised to go back outside again until it warms up) that might help him. I think the speed of progress and the prognosis very much depend on where the lumps are and how many, and whether the bun goes on to develop secondary infections - it's quite common for them to develop respiratory infections like the snuffles you describe, which is probably why your vet has given you some baytril. The metacam will also help to keep any swellings to a minimum, because obviously if your bun gets swellings in the mouth or respiratory tract then that would be more likely to cause problems. Sadly it's not uncommon for bunnies to battle on for some time - several weeks in some instances - before finally succumbing to the disease :( so I would suggest being led by your vet as to how severe your little one's symptoms are and what the likely outcome is to be. It may be that he has some residual immunity from his lapsed vaccination so is showing signs of nodular rather than full-blown mxyi - how long ago was his vaccination?

Have the girls had their boosters now? Myxi isn't normally transmitted by direct contact, but obviously if you have a bun who is a carrier of the virus, then there is a higher chance of a biting insect picking up the infection from him and passing it on to them, so I would get them booked in for their boosters ASAP if you haven't already. If they are now done and are not showing symptoms, then hopefully they are passed the period of time when they would have picked it up with him, so now it will just be counting down until their immunity kicks in from having had their vaccine. Everything crossed that if they're ok now, they will continue to be so x

Gentle nose rubs to Woody xx

Thank you for replying. I will book the girls in, I didnt know if I should book them in or wait to see if they show signs, I wasnt sure if it would help if they had it already.

Woody is inside, ive got him in the kitchen, im ok with keeping him inside for the winter, hubby might grumble as weve not long put Bella outside with Woody and Jessie. Ill just get him a little run to put on his cage. Id rather he was inside so I can keep a close eye on him. Jessie his bonded bunny is outside still, I feel bad for splitting them up but there is no way I can bring her in too, plus Bella would then be outside on her own. Thank you Mushlett thats very kind. Im totally gutted, im just starting to get to spend a bit more time with them after having my son. Its been hard getting time for everyone. Im just hoping he can fight it off. Hes eating and drinking still. My vet said it looked like a mild form so im guessing he means the nodular version. The vet said it sounds like he has a secondary infection, meaning the snuffles. He seems ok in himself so far

I had a french lop that developed nodular myxi 4 months after his booster. I brought him indoors and gave him loads of fresh veg and herbs and his meds. I really think being indoors in the warm and having constant attention and company helped him recover quicker. He looked quite a mess with all his lumps and scabs but luckily did not develop any complications and recovered fully. None of my other rabbits caught it although they shared the shed with him. Good luck with your bun. X

Thanks bluelop. Its nice to hear about a happy ending. I think I need to get the girls vaccinated asap and keep Woody in for the winter. Ive got my fingers crossed he will get to see the spring again. He loves sitting in the sun.

My bunny has modular myximotosis at the moment. I first noticed her eye looking a bit sore on 7th October. I have a thread

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...-s-myxi-again-(-UPDATE-2nd-nov&highlight=Myxi

She is still under the vets and has now got another two weeks antibiotic injections, so we are a month in at the moment. She spent nearly two weeks in the vets but is now home, she is eating veg, grass, dandelion etc but not hay so I need to keep her weight up.

It's a long process and antibiotic and metacam daily are essential.

Thank you I will take a look. Woody is having his meds orally. Do you think I should get the injections? Where do you have to inject your bunny?

Thank you fluffiebunnie. I do hope your bunny pulls through. I can see I have a long stressful time ahead. Good job im on maternity leave so im at home to care for him. Im hoping he will still b ok for his nxt vet appointment nxt Tuesday. Ive put some coriander and a little banana in his food along with his meds. Im thinking I will ask for the injections when we go back. He only seems to have the one nodule on his eyelid and a swollen nose. I will keep this post updated for his progress. Id like to add you as a friend if thats ok? So I can see how you bun is getting on. X

Hi, my bunny is on Straptacare injections 0.3ml daily. you inject at the scruff of the neck - your vet would be able to arrange for you to do this, if you think you can do it?

I find injecting easier than having to give the daily metacam orally! Pootle is such a nightmare trying to get her to take it!

Just keep Woody eating.. I had Pootle at the vets for ages being syringe fed as her appetite was poor, but now she is home and keeping her weight stable. I used banana slices coated in porridge oats to get a few more calories in...

With myxi you have to watch for secondary infections which is why the antibiotic is so important.

Keep us updated!

I gave the baytril orally and found putting it on a small piece of brown toast went down a treat and he never refused it. But they are all different. Lol

Hi, thanks for the advice. I think I will find injections easier than trying to get it in his mouth tbh. Ive been putting it on his food. Im there on Tuesday so see what he says.

I'm keeping my fingers so crossed for you and Woody. I know how stressful and heartbreaking this can be. It sounds like you are doing everything you can and he is having the best care. I also read olbas oil on a cloth nearby can help with the snuffles! Love and best wishes to you both xx

I hope Woody is still doing well - Pootle is still on her antibiotic injections... the main symptom she has now is one eye that still weeps yukky sticky stuff and sometimes she sounds like she has a bit of a sniffle, but generally her breathing is good.

Hi, sorry I updated the other post. Woody is good, his little nodule on his eyelid fell off today, think he has one at the base of his ear too and his nose is pretty scabby. Vet was pleased with his progress but did say the snuffles may not clear up. Hes got another roubd of baytril and metacam, if that doesn't sort his secondary infection out then we will be going onto the injections. Hes still eating and drinking well, gobbles his food up the little piggy. Thank you for your well wishes and glad Pootle is doing ok. Fingers crossed they get through it! My girls seem ok so far so fingers crossed for that too!

Back