• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hi everyone

jamesm

New Kit
Hi there, my name is james and i have had rabbits for a few years but recently had 6 kits.

Sadly lost the dad on sunday evening, one was taken to its new home so we have the mum and 5 kits.

I have a question if someone would be able to help me out.

They are a mix of lop and english rabbits, all roughly the same weight but need some advice on feeding. They are on pellets, always have access to hay and get fed once a day and have a mix of fresh greens. But sometimes it seems like they haven't eaten for a while by the time it comes to feed them the next day. Is once a day too little? We have weighed them and gave them the correct amount of pellets according to the feed guide on their food packaging.

Thanks in advance,

James

Hi James and welcome!

Someone with experience will be along shortly with advice

Take care!
Fee x

Hi, and welcome to the forum :wave: sorry about the loss of your rabbit :cry: do all the others seem happy and healthy? How old are the kits? You can feed young rabbits unlimited pellets but if they are eating plenty of hay etc then maybe they won't eat so many of them. The packaging of pellets always reccommends feeding too many, it is actually recommended to feed adult rabbits an egg cup full per day, more for large rabbits/Giants/ youngsters, as if you feed too many pellets they will tend to fill up on them instead of eating enough hay.

Hi and thanks. Yeah it was sad for us. He was only 2 years and 7 months old. The kits are coming up to 10 weeks old now, mum lola is just over 2 and a half. All well and healthy, lola is currently being wormed. Was not 100% sure about doing the kits as they weigh so little and the worming dosage was per 2.5kgs per segment which is fine for lola as she is that weight. The kits range from 400-600 grams. Can you get away with just a very small amount of it?

Right i see, maybe i'll stick to what i feed them at the moment. Its a bit tricky trying to feed 5 of them the same amount but they do spend at least a few hours a day on the grass, somehow rabbits eat to the perfect length. Have made a run thats about 6 meters by 3 meters so they have plenty of grass to eat during that time. Shame the weather has been wet as they do like being outside a lot.

Oh and vaccinations, what age can the kits be done from?

I haven't had to worm any of my rabbits, as I don't do them routinely, and I couldn't tell you about worming the kits. They can be injected from 5 or 6 weeks of age according to a quick search I just did, so I would get them booked in at the vets. They will be able to advise on the wormer, and also sex the babies too.

Back