• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can a paralysed rabbit have any quality of life?

Whitelighter

Warren Scout
I have had someone approach me who's bunny has had an accidental litter and one of the little troopers has paralysed hind legs. Not born like it, but it happened suddenly just after they were 3 weeks old. It looks like an accident or trauma.

Bunny is now 5 weeks old and while smaller than the others he gets about and is eating pellets and hay. He seems to be walking using his front legs and thighs, or hips at least. His hind legs are emaciated and just drag around behind him.

He is also understandably very dirty underneath, with urine scald around his vent area and fur missing where it's been rubbing on the floor. Also he's always damp down there.

So, is there anything that can be done to make him comfy and have a life. He's trying and has lasted two weeks and grown. Surgically remove the dead legs and keep cleaning him. Or is it really better just to PTS?

The owner has asked my opinion/advice and to be honest I didn't really know what to do as I might be condemning the little trier.

Personally I do not believe that a Rabbit who has no use of their back end at all and the condition is permanent can have a good quality of life. But I know others will disagree. For me a Rabbit is a Rabbit, they need to be able to do more than eat,eliminate and drag themselves about. They are not like disabled humans who can do more cerebral things if their bodies do not work for whatever reason. If it was a spinal injury then the Rabbit may also have bladder problems. Urine scald sounds to be an issue already, not only is this painful but it can lead to serious infections. I assume the owner has consulted a Vet ?

Yes. I've pointed them in the direction of Gill. Their Bon bunny get said PTS but I guess they wanted validation or not from me and I don't think I have the knowledge to go definitive

I think it really depends on the rabbit and the cause of the paralysis. Some cope well with disability others don't. Depending on cause there may be a chance of some recovery with very hard work

Having a paralysed rabbit means 24 hour care and also costs a lot of money. He will need x-rays to find out the cause as well as physio sessions and acupuncture is also useful but are not cheap.

As well as caring for the actual legs there are lots of associated problems to consider. Urine burn as you have already mentioned. Also they are susceptible to urine infections and bladder sludge so this needs to be checked regularly. There is also problems with fluid build up on the chest and a strain on the heart.

When we had Trevor our Paralysed rabbit it was like having a baby and we couldn't leave the house for more than around 30 minutes at a time! We also had to get up through the night to check her at the start and when she was self harming - another frequent problem with paralysed rabbits.

But if bunny is coping, is enjoying life and can be kept clean and comfortable it is worth giving them a chance. I can honestly say Trevor got more out of life than some of our other bunnies. But for others then yes pts can be kindest.

I've no personal experience but with such a young rabbit I think you have to give them a chance at life. You never know how they will adapt or cope. If things get awful you can always PTS later.

If Julie the rabbit's story has taught me anything, although I have no personal experience of it, is that being disabled in rabbits does not always mean no quality of life. And since this bun became disabled at such a young age, he may not miss what he barely had (sounds like he's already starting to cope and adapt). And, correct me if I'm wrong, but there are harness/wheelchair things like paralysed dogs use, specially made for rabbits, so once he grew he could go in one of them.

Of course, this is another expense on top of many vets bills and possible complications. It doesn't seem fair to force an animal to live that has a poor quality of life, but neither does it when they have a chance to survive and even thrive despite their condition.

Thanks for everyone advice.

Sadly nature has decided the little bunny's fate and he hopped over the bridge in the night.

Back