• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Liver failure in young rabbit? Pm results

Crunchie

Warren Veteran
Jack had a stasis episode around a month ago and had yet another over the weekend. We phoned the vet who advised us to treat at home due to the fact Jack gets very stressed at the vet and refuses to eat when held in the ward but he didn't improve and had to be admitted on Monday for supportive care. The vet wanted to do a blood test due to this being his second episode within a short space of time and we got the results back today. Apparently his liver is badly damaged and we've no idea how this could have happened. They've now got him on an IV drip having pain killer, antibiotics and gut stimulant but overall prognosis isn't good. :cry:

Has anyone had anything similar? Jack is only 2-3 years old.

Last edited:
Changes in Liver enzymes can happen rapidly if a Rabbit stops eating. Without knowing the exact Biochemistry results it's hard to say whether the abnormality is the result of gut stasis or the cause. The former is more likely.

Changes in Liver enzymes can happen rapidly if a Rabbit stops eating. Without knowing the exact Biochemistry results it's hard to say whether the abnormality is the result of gut stasis or the cause. The former is more likely.

as jane says, its seems along time ago now when mabel was only year old, she had gone into a state of fretting, I had gone on holiday for a week, she was still eating like a horse and doing her business as usual, but when I got back she was all bone, rushed her vets next morning, she had her bloods done, then was kept in on IV fluids, then bloods redone, as her liver results weren't good, she even had a heart murmur, but this just turned out to be the fact she had become very underweight and anaemic, after having fluids and then me feeding her recovery and her usual foods, including some to help her anaemia her liver results improved as well as the heart murmur had resolved, so hoping in your case its due to the GI statis episode, I would ask vets to do follow up of bloods when your rabbit is over the GI statis to see if the results are any better

We've to expect a phone call in the morning but apparently his plasma was actually yellow. :( He also had parasites but I'm not sure what kind.

Is there anything you'd advise us to ask the vet Jane? He's in the **** vet school and being seen to by a few different vets I think. He's always been such a cheeky confident little sod and apart from the times he's been off his food appeared to be happy and healthy. :cry:

We've to expect a phone call in the morning but apparently his plasma was actually yellow. :( He also had parasites but I'm not sure what kind.

Is there anything you'd advise us to ask the vet Jane? He's in the **** vet school and being seen to by a few different vets I think. He's always been such a cheeky confident little sod and apart from the times he's been off his food appeared to be happy and healthy. :cry:

Sounds like they suspect Hepatic Coccidiosis

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Parasitic/Hepatic_coccidiosis_rabbits.htm

Hepatitis was mentioned. He had high BP and temp dropped too so he is on I.V. fluids and anti-bs. They are going to test Honey's poo too. Poor wee lad :(

:cry:.. Oh my goodness, what sad news...

Binky Free Jack. loads of love for you Crunchie. I am so sorry, he was so young

Back