PDA

View Full Version : Liver failure in young rabbit? Pm results

Crunchie
05-11-2014, 07:07 PM
Jack had a stasis episode around a month ago and had yet another over the weekend. We phoned the vet who advised us to treat at home due to the fact Jack gets very stressed at the vet and refuses to eat when held in the ward but he didn't improve and had to be admitted on Monday for supportive care. The vet wanted to do a blood test due to this being his second episode within a short space of time and we got the results back today. Apparently his liver is badly damaged and we've no idea how this could have happened. They've now got him on an IV drip having pain killer, antibiotics and gut stimulant but overall prognosis isn't good. :cry:

Has anyone had anything similar? Jack is only 2-3 years old.

Jack's-Jane
05-11-2014, 07:24 PM
Changes in Liver enzymes can happen rapidly if a Rabbit stops eating. Without knowing the exact Biochemistry results it's hard to say whether the abnormality is the result of gut stasis or the cause. The former is more likely.

mini lop1
05-11-2014, 07:32 PM
Changes in Liver enzymes can happen rapidly if a Rabbit stops eating. Without knowing the exact Biochemistry results it's hard to say whether the abnormality is the result of gut stasis or the cause. The former is more likely.

as jane says, its seems along time ago now when mabel was only year old, she had gone into a state of fretting, I had gone on holiday for a week, she was still eating like a horse and doing her business as usual, but when I got back she was all bone, rushed her vets next morning, she had her bloods done, then was kept in on IV fluids, then bloods redone, as her liver results weren't good, she even had a heart murmur, but this just turned out to be the fact she had become very underweight and anaemic, after having fluids and then me feeding her recovery and her usual foods, including some to help her anaemia her liver results improved as well as the heart murmur had resolved, so hoping in your case its due to the GI statis episode, I would ask vets to do follow up of bloods when your rabbit is over the GI statis to see if the results are any better

Crunchie
05-11-2014, 07:34 PM
We've to expect a phone call in the morning but apparently his plasma was actually yellow. :( He also had parasites but I'm not sure what kind.

Is there anything you'd advise us to ask the vet Jane? He's in the **** vet school and being seen to by a few different vets I think. He's always been such a cheeky confident little sod and apart from the times he's been off his food appeared to be happy and healthy. :cry:

Jack's-Jane
05-11-2014, 07:37 PM
We've to expect a phone call in the morning but apparently his plasma was actually yellow. :( He also had parasites but I'm not sure what kind.

Is there anything you'd advise us to ask the vet Jane? He's in the **** vet school and being seen to by a few different vets I think. He's always been such a cheeky confident little sod and apart from the times he's been off his food appeared to be happy and healthy. :cry:

Sounds like they suspect Hepatic Coccidiosis

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Parasitic/Hepatic_coccidiosis_rabbits.htm

FalkirkBairn
05-11-2014, 08:28 PM
Hepatitis was mentioned. He had high BP and temp dropped too so he is on I.V. fluids and anti-bs. They are going to test Honey's poo too. Poor wee lad :(

Crunchie
05-11-2014, 10:15 PM
Jack's passed away.

Bunny Buddy
05-11-2014, 10:24 PM
I'm so sorry, what a shock for you.:cry:

esupi
05-11-2014, 10:39 PM
:( I'm so sorry.

Fee
05-11-2014, 10:39 PM
:cry:.. Oh my goodness, what sad news...

Binky Free Jack. loads of love for you Crunchie. I am so sorry, he was so young

aaammmyyy
05-11-2014, 10:41 PM
So sorry, Binky free Jack Xx

MimzMum
05-11-2014, 10:46 PM
I'm so sorry, Crunchie :cry:
Sleep well, Jack. xxxx

Jack's-Jane
06-11-2014, 07:17 AM
Jack's passed away.

So very sorry :cry:

RIP Jack xx

Zoobec
06-11-2014, 07:52 AM
I'm so sorry :cry: Binky free Jack xx

Roly Poly
06-11-2014, 08:07 AM
I'm so sorry :cry:

Sweet dreams Jack xx

dumblepaws
06-11-2014, 08:14 AM
So sorry for your loss
Binky free jack xx

Rabcat
06-11-2014, 08:43 AM
So sorry that you have lost Jack :(

Binky free little bun xxxxx

Fifibutton
06-11-2014, 09:05 AM
I am so sorry for your loss. Binky free Jack x

Mrs. Bunnykins
06-11-2014, 09:09 AM
Rest in peace Jack. x

I am so sorry.

weedug
06-11-2014, 09:18 AM
I'm so sorry you lost little Jack :cry:

Alison Marie
06-11-2014, 09:29 AM
I'm sorry about Jack, sending bulbs xxx

MightyMax
06-11-2014, 12:52 PM
Jack's passed away.

I'm so sorry for your loss x

Crunchie
06-11-2014, 02:30 PM
The vet school at covering the cost of a PM as they're concerned about how quickly he deteriorated. Honey has also had blood work done and we get the results from Tha tomorrow. Jack showing abnormal results for his liver and kidneys. Jenna Richardson was in charge of him and suspects E.cuniculi but can't explain the abnormal liver results.

Jack's-Jane
06-11-2014, 02:36 PM
The vet school at covering the cost of a PM as they're concerned about how quickly he deteriorated. Honey has also had blood work done and we get the results from Tha tomorrow. Jack showing abnormal results for his liver and kidneys. Jenna Richardson was in charge of him and suspects E.cuniculi but can't explain the abnormal liver results.

Perhaps it was a bile duct obstruction ? :cry:

Crunchie
06-11-2014, 02:44 PM
Perhaps it was a bile duct obstruction ? :cry:

Hopefully the pm results will be conclusive. He started showing neurological symptoms yesterday. First his back legs went wobby after a syringe feed and his back legs got weak. His temp and bp dropped so they gave him something to increase his bp and he perked up but at night he started fitting and they had to put him to sleep.

Jack's-Jane
06-11-2014, 02:55 PM
Neurological symptoms can occur in end stage liver failure - Hepatic Encephalopathy :cry:

http://www.liver.ca/liver-disease/types/cirrhosis/hepatic-encephalopathy.aspx

Crunchie
06-11-2014, 03:22 PM
Is that something that appears to come on quite quickly normally? Up until last Saturday night Jack had been his usual cheeky self, there was no loss of condition or appetite and nothing to indicate a problem. I really hope it's not something we could have prevented easily.

Jack's-Jane
06-11-2014, 05:35 PM
Is that something that appears to come on quite quickly normally? Up until last Saturday night Jack had been his usual cheeky self, there was no loss of condition or appetite and nothing to indicate a problem. I really hope it's not something we could have prevented easily.

HE can be of acute onset or it can occur after a known case of Liver Disease as the organ reaches end stage.

JemimaH
06-11-2014, 06:33 PM
So sorry to hear this - what a shock :(

Binky free, Jack x

mini lop1
06-11-2014, 10:56 PM
oh no I am so sorry :cry::cry::cry:

parsnipbun
06-11-2014, 11:02 PM
I am so vey sorry

Crunchie
07-11-2014, 09:48 PM
We spoke to the vet today regarding Jack's PM results.

There were no obvious signs of E.cuniculi (white spots on the organs).
His kidneys were smaller than they'd have expected and also rather pale.
His liver was the correct size, it was also slightly pale but there were no obvious lesions.
All other organs looked normal.

I've no idea what that means, the vet took soft tissue samples and is going to do some more work on these and let us know her findings by Tuesday. Honey's blood results came back normal though they're still waiting on the test for E.cuniculi.

mushlett
07-11-2014, 09:56 PM
I am so sorry you lost him xx

Schmookums
09-11-2014, 11:47 AM
R.I.P Jack.