• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Enrichment Scavenger Hunt - Week 4

Tamsin

Administrator
Staff member
Time for Week 4 of the Enrichment Scavenger hunt!

To recap, I post an item/task and you have to find it and take a picture of your bunny investigating or playing with it (or completely ignoring it whilst napping). It must be something new, not something your bunny already has.

Week 4: This week lets get bunny brains working, give or make your bunny a toy that involves a puzzle to solve, for example do they need to move something to get a treat or travel through a maze.

Previous Weeks
Week 1 Outside Object: http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?432162-Enrichment-Scavenger-Hunt-Week-1
Week 2 Boxes: http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?432446-Enrichment-Scavenger-Hunt-Week-2
Week 3 Stretching: http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?432808-Enrichment-Scavenger-Hunt-Week-3

Their stacking cups aren't new but I've never hidden treats in them before...

Barney got the hang of it really quickly (and he loves banging things about!)

Priscilla couldn't quite understand that you had to knock the cups off one another to get to the treat underneath, she got upset and frustrated she wasn't getting any and ran off and hid :(

So I made her an easier version with just two cups, which she was okay with :)

Silly girl! :roll:

Love the stacking cups, what a brilliant idea!

Tamsin you're making these harder and harder each week, aren't you :lol: I'll see what I can come up with at the weekend :D

I need stacking cups for my buns - Elsie will love knocking them over!!!

I am loving these threads, its really giving me ideas on entertaining my two

:)

Scamp has his own set of stacking cups too :oops:

If you don't already have a treat ball that would definitely count as something with a puzzle, or have a look at some of the interactive puzzle toys and see if you can make something similar. Getting food out of something is a good bunny puzzle.

Oh no, I meant to get a treat ball at the pet shop this afternoon and completely forgot!
I like the idea of making a maze for them but can't think what to use, any suggestions as my brain has Friday afternoonitis

I guess you could use a mix of things depending what you've got to hand - boxes with holes each end to make a tunnel, pop up tunnels, use the edge of a wall/run for one side or if they are outside you could plant sticks and use that to support paper/fabric walls.

Aww these threads are such a great idea!! Our bun, bless her heart, isn't the cleverest in the world.. She's had a treat ball for about a year and I don't think she's managed to get a treat out of it yet!! Hopefully I can come up with something creative that's not too tough for her..!

The others have had these before and I only had one toilet roll tube.
Here's Freddie:
http://youtu.be/CleXlb4kkKM

Here's some old videos of Maizie and Daisy with stacking cups and a treat ball.
http://youtu.be/UvHxgsFyTGA
http://youtu.be/IzIatjAlwSo

Billy with a treat ball:
http://youtu.be/0BqBa1_egxg
I don't have any videos of Marble to hand. But she pretty much just rips/throws things straight away so there's never much of a challenge. She even chewed a huge hole into one of the treat balls so the treats just fall straight out :roll:

Mallow sometimes became too interested in the toy and didn't notice some of the carrots had fallen out :lol:
Lopsy does this too :roll:

I'd already done a lot of puzzle type stuff with Lopsy: as a lonely outdoor bun I try and give him as much enrichment as I can, but I semi-combined one of the other Enrichment threads with this one. I had an old, small clay flowerpot lying aboiut so gave it a bit of a clean and put it in his run (while he was busy with hanging off the broccoli, which I also didn't think puzzle-y enough) with some pellets underneath:

10644731_10101350689730748_959975339927938183_n.jpg

(That's actually a cheat: I got a picture of it BEFORE I put lLopsy-beans anywhere near it!)

10805798_10101350689725758_2497862104564467436_n.jpg

Lopsy pretty much went to it as soon as treats went down.

10801924_10101350689750708_2968340033314791449_n.jpg

He had it over after just a few seconds! But then, like his treatball (and Mallow) decided to nose the flowerpot around for a bit :lol:

I don't have any videos of Marble to hand. But she pretty much just rips/throws things straight away so there's never much of a challenge. She even chewed a huge hole into one of the treat balls so the treats just fall straight out :roll:

I guess we know which is the cleverest bunny then :)

Forest and Fern's Tasks

Hi :wave: Well, wasn't sure what to do for this one, but cos my Buns have never seen a treat ball before I thought I'd make a couple using cardboard tubes and apple treats....

Forest went first with his.. he approached straight away and knew the treats were in there. He did a couple of nose pushes and a head throw ( which my camera missed ) and seemed quite pleased with the outcome, all very gentlemanly, as usual, no fuss, just steady away.

He enjoyed it though, "a bit different to the normal delivery of breakfast, thankyou Mummeh" :)

Then it was Ferni's turn, I gave her a different shaped tube with apple treats in...
Out she came like a rocket, stopped, stretched to sniff and then ... killed and ate the poor little 'one eyed' treat ball within seconds...

"Ha, I got it! I got it! Wehayyyy"

She wasn't phased either, it just showed how different my Buns personalities are :lol:
Peace resumed after that and breakfast was munched as usual, around the treat ball. Was fun for all :thumb:

Last edited:
Aww, awesome, I like all the DIY treat balls, proves you don't have to spend lots on adding enrichment. It's really interesting to see how different bunnies tackle the same problems, really highlights the different personalities. Great action shots too!

Lopsy does this too :roll:

I'd already done a lot of puzzle type stuff with Lopsy: as a lonely outdoor bun I try and give him as much enrichment as I can, but I semi-combined one of the other Enrichment threads with this one. I had an old, small clay flowerpot lying aboiut so gave it a bit of a clean and put it in his run (while he was busy with hanging off the broccoli, which I also didn't think puzzle-y enough) with some pellets underneath:

10644731_10101350689730748_959975339927938183_n.jpg

(That's actually a cheat: I got a picture of it BEFORE I put lLopsy-beans anywhere near it!)

10805798_10101350689725758_2497862104564467436_n.jpg

Lopsy pretty much went to it as soon as treats went down.

10801924_10101350689750708_2968340033314791449_n.jpg

He had it over after just a few seconds! But then, like his treatball (and Mallow) decided to nose the flowerpot around for a bit :lol:

Oh Bless Lopsy.. he's lovely, and we like geeky, a bit like my Forest bun .
You do a great job for Lopsy... he is beautiful ! x

Back