• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Covering rabbit hutches in winter

Alicia

Mama Doe
I was going to buy a hutch cover but have decided for now to make something myself because I'd like to save up and get them a really good warm hutch cover. What do you use to cover the hutches?

I've used a blanket topped with a shower curtain before, worked pretty well :thumb:

I use old horse rugs over the hutch bit & then a clear shower curtain if I want something over the run.
Inside the hutch bed-bit, I newspaper the base, put a cardboard box in, line between the outside of the cardboard box & the inside of the hutch with straw, then stuff the cardboard box with hay. These went in this week, although I haven't started on snuggle safes yet - as soon as we hit 2 degrees ish, I will.

Insulating foiled bubble wrap, I buy it by the roll, it's what a the expensive hutch insulation covers are made from but cheaper to buy by the roll. That goes immediately on the outside of the wood, foil side inside to reflect heat, roof included as the roof tends just to be thinner hardboard compared to the walls of the hutch.

I use clear plastic attached to the meshed bits, I have an eyelet punch that I've made a few air holes with and fix these with elastic/cup hooks.

Then the top layer is waterproof fabric, again bought by the roll, I get the heavy duty stuff.

One day I'll make a proper cover which was always the intention but for now it's just wrapped round and fastened down.

I also have some polycarbonate sheets that I use on part of the runs/aviary set up.

Snuggle safes when freezing.

Thermal hutch cover, insulation attached to the hutch also, lots of hay and bedding and 2 snuggle snafes.

Carpet offcut over the hutch, with a sheet of black plastic liner (like a builder's groundsheet) over the top if it's wet, held down with bricks, troughs and buckets of water, depending on wind conditions. I remove it during the day though. Hutch mesh has a rain protector (by which I mean an big plastic box lid held on by bungee cords) for wet and/or windy days. Run just has a tarp over one end, pulled down over the windward side.

Back