• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding bunnies.

I got a rescue bunny on sat, she was spayed the friday before, eating and pooping fine. The rescue introduced my bunny to the rescue bunny and said they thought they would bond fine. I have her home with me on trial to see how it goes. She's not keen on coming out of her bed, she comes out if we tempt her with cabbage and goes back in. I had both bunnies in a run to try to bond them but when my bunny approaches her she thumps and runs away everytime. Today i gave them both dried herbs and let my bunny out and her was nosing at her cage and she sniffed him through the bars and jumped up scratched at bars and tried to bite him and he retalliated and i got him into his cage. The rescue said i can take her back but they didn't think i'd given it long enough. I'd be too scared to put my bunmy in with her now. And i think its too soon after her being spayed.

How long since spay? Ideally hormones should settle 6-8 weeks after so that would be your best chance.
If you only got her sat, she will still be unsettled. Whereabouts are you? Someone on here May bond for you.

Alternatively there's loads of bonding advice but I'm on my phone so can't post a link!

Yeah only been spayed just over a week. I thought it was too quick. She's 5 and hasn't had a partner before. So new house, new bunny and just been spayed. Guy at rescue said to put them together as much as possible. But i think she needs time to settle. I'm not experienced at bonding and i kinda s**t myself when she went for him. Just glad there was bars between them. He seems fine about it though he's back sitting in front of her cage.

yh she will act like a 'full' rabbits for 6-8 weeks, so I wouldn't attempt bonding until after this!

Some rabbits do not get along together. Only time I have ever successfully got rabbits to get along in the same pen is if they were litter mates.

Some rabbits do not get along together. Only time I have ever successfully got rabbits to get along in the same pen is if they were litter mates.

That's not the case if they are neutered/spayed. There are plenty of people on here with unrelated pairs/groups. I myself had a group of 13 - there was a pair of sisters in that but all other males/females were unrelated. I have yet to meet a bunny that I couldn't bond - although I agree there may be the odd one that does not like bunny company - I think you'll find these are rare.

Angela - she may even still be sore a week after spay. Although I have done the odd bond where bunny has arrived & gone straight with partner - I actually generally quarantine for a couple of weeks, don't allow the buns to meet, then try on completely neutral territory.

You could start a thread to see if anyone in your area could do it for you :)

Yeah i'm not wanting them together until its ok for them. Benjamin was paired with an unrelated bun but she died a few weeks ago. He wants to be friends. Will wait and see how she gets on.

Whenever a free rabbit approaches the cage of another rabbit, the caged one becomes aggressive, so I would recommend that you don't allow him to approach her cage. Keep them separate for a couple of weeks then put them together in an area your where neither rabbit has been in before.

She's been here nearly a week and she's only went for him twice both times i was giving them dried herbs. i will have to wait about 6 weeks for her hormones to settle before putting them together. I read that putting their cages together and their food bowls would help. I let them out one at a time. I did this with his last partner and never had a problem.

Back