• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Noisy Bunny Problems! HELP PLEASE? :(

pudgey420

Warren Scout
I was woken up at 5 this morning with Willow Scratching about her cage and ripping up newspaper/ Just being a noisy little Bunny!

I understand that rabbits are most active during the early hours of the morning and then again in the evening, I've had Willow about three weeks now and have had no issues apart from the past two nights she has been really noisy, Biting her cage bars and generally scrabbling about making lots of noise which Doesn't bother me as much as it bothers my other Half ( Who I have only just convinced that bunnies are awesome! )

I know she is wanting out - thats the only reason she chews at her bars, she will happily sit in her cage without biting the bars and play with toys etc any other time of day but in the mornings she knows its breakfast time and wants out...

I let her out in the morning about 7 and she will potter about with me until I leave for work about 8.20am and then my other half will let her out when he gets up but we cant have her waking us up at stupid O'clock as it makes the work day a lot longer when you are up 2 hours before your alarm is due to go off!!

Has anyone got any suggestions on how to make her quieter? I know this sounds silly .. I am going to remove the news paper as all you can hear is her stomping about on it and tearing it up (first time she has torn it up)

She is kept in the bedroom with us and I know we could possibly move her to another room but I like her being around us so she's not lonely and can see us pottering about. :?

Hmmmmm Im a bit stumped with this one so any suggestions welcome :(

thanks

Last edited:
How big is her cage ? Really it is not ideal for a Rabbit to be shut in a cage for hours on end. It sounds as though she is simply bored and frustrated and in need of a lot more space and environmental enrichment.

So I would look at changing her accommodation so she has a large enclosure with lots of tunnels and different levels to jump up onto.

You may get some inspiration from here :

http://www.saveafluff.co.uk/housing-photos

Remember, a hutch/cage is not enough for a Rabbit to live in.

Her cage is big enough for her to run about in and she has plenty of things to do in there she would just rather be out and hassling me for food it seems!

The room is bunny proofed but she is only allowed out when she is supervised as she cant be trusted I'm afraid :( She is only ten weeks and cannot be trusted to free range yet as she has proved by chewing various items - I plan to hopefully let her free range eventually but not until she is toilet trained etc.

I know already that a hutch/cage is not enough for her to live in and she is not in it for long periods of time...she is out of it and running about every minute that we are home but we can't be up at all hours to supervise so when we are sleeping she needs to be in there im afraid.

at this rate my boyfriend is going to make me get rid of her :( :(:cry:

Yes I am, But I have decided to change my tactics and not feed her as soon as I let her out so she doesn't just expect it and therefore hassle in the morning .. what are your thoughts??

Yes I am, But I have decided to change my tactics and not feed her as soon as I let her out so she doesn't just expect it and therefore hassle in the morning .. what are your thoughts??

Try feeding her about 1 hour after letting her out and it may stop the bar chewing/ being noisy. Rabbits are so smart and she's picked up on the fact once you're up she gets food :) I had a similar issue with my rabbits who slept in my bedroom, I would get pee'd on at all sorts of hours as they learnt they got food whilst I made my bed/ when I got out of bed :wave:

Yeah I have realized she has noticed hehe she's a clever wee bun! :D Now she's deliberately trying to wake me up hahah. :lol:
I will definitely try delaying her food until maybe just before I leave for work and that gives her something else to do until my partner wakes up!

thanks for the advice :)

How about attaching a puppy pen? They fold up and down so it would be easy to pop it up when you go to bed and aren't using the room yourself and fold it up during the day whilst she was out and about anyway. That would give her more space and room for things to keep her occupied. I think part of the issue is the change in access, rabbits don't understand why they can't get to the place they usually can.

http://www.therabbithouse.com/behaviour/problem-rabbit-chewing-cage.asp

I find with mine that the less space they have, the more noise they make because they get so frustrated at being shut in somewhere. When I've had to put them in a cage or take the run off their hutch to clean up, they start banging and chewing and don't stop till they are let out!

I think a puppy pen attached to the cage is a really good idea if your rabbit can't be trusted to free-range, plus you can stack it away easily if you don't want your house looking untidy.

Thanks guys I have been looking at the puppy pens!

Looking around though and I've decided I would rather have something more permanent like the NIC cubes.. Some of the set ups I have seen are amazing and I would love her to have one of those for her to play in and keep her occupied!

Does anyone know where I can buy some please???

I have had a look on the housing part of the forum but a lot of the links have expired :(

I got some previously from Wayfair: http://www.wayfair.co.uk/Safco-Wire-5-Shelf-Shelving-Unit-5279BL-SAF1061.html

There's also these:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Safco-Wire-Cubes-Storage-Black/dp/B000789RSQ

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/3313...3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0-L&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=108

They are more expensive than a puppy pen though as you'll probably need 2 or 3 sets if you wanted to put shelves/upstairs levels in the setup.

My rabbit used to live in one when I first got him as he liked to wee on the furniture, they are super easy to build :D

Back