• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

READI GRASS - Thoughts and reviews please?

pudgey420

Warren Scout
Howdy ho :)

I have been looking at other things to supplement my Bunnies hay and I have found readi-grass, It looks great and If i was a house rabbit it's definitely what I would want to eat!

Can anyone tell me what its like?

Did it go down well?

Cause any tummy upsets?

In what quantity should I give?? I dont plan to replace hay completely but I have heard you can??

Any info is appreciated :)

thanks youuu in advance

It is dried grass, smells much more like grass than hay. It is dark green and short-chopped. It is slightly richer than hay and so should be introduced gradually, like you would fresh grass, and shouldn't cause tummy upsets unless they have sensitive tummies and don't get on well with greens. It is also slightly higher in calcium so some people choose to limit the amount they feed, but unless your rabbit has calcium-related health problems you don't need to.

I personally would not replace hay with it completely, as the strands aren't very long, and long-stranded hay is better for teeth and for making beds with. I personally feed a handful or two a day.

Doughnut loves it. It's like grass but dried and she loves grass.

I find she gets a bit of a poopy bum if she has to much so I give her a handful a day. She does have digestion troubles though so she probably isn't the best bunny to gadge this by.

I'm giving this to her instead of grass throughout the winter as I think it's good for digestion and their teeth,

Ludo has quite a lot of it. He loves it and has no problems with it at all. He has about 2 handfuls a day mixed into his hay for variety.

He's also very prone to tummy problems but Readigrass has always been fine.

My plan was to sprinkle it on top of hay and maybe mix it through to encourage her to eat some more! I wouldn't entirely replace it as like you said it looks short strands so not the best of her gnashers!

I am hoping she likes it though as I have just bought her a bag and its due to be delivered tomorrow :)

I presume you guys have tried the Excel herbage range? These also look good, I have ordered some too. I just wanted to mix her feeding routine up a bit and have some boxes from work I am going to fill with hay and mixed herbs to make her forage for them!

Have you found the Excel herbage range any good? :) Any other you can reccomend? I love their dried meadow herbs but the bags are so very small and cant seem to find any larger ones!

Anyone got any other sources to get dried herbs/Garden plants?

Loving this wee bunny family, everyone is so lovely and helpful so thank you :love:

I buy the Excel meadow herbs too- they don't last long but they're only £1.86 a packet so it doesn't matter. Never tried the herbage range.
Ludo had a box of Excel Salad Snacks which he liked.

The only cheap was to do it is to dry your own!

They just don't last long and I hate feeling like I am rationing haha.

I have found a fantastic website though called VetUK.co.uk they have the herbs for £1.25 and lots of other stuff at really good prices, I would definitely recommend them as they deliver via DPD they are fast and Cheap :) Yaaay for bargain hunting haha >.<

Ludo & Harry are right wee cuties , they look a wee bit like my girl Willow :D

I thought it was great, it smelt lovely, looked good, sadly it didn't agree with my gang, runny bums and tummy problems. But plenty rabbits must be ok with it or they wouldn't sell it

My two love it and I love the smell too! I feed it like I would feed veggies because of the high calcium content, so they get a handful a day maybe. Hasn't caused any problems with my two but they don't have sensitive tummies like some bunnies.

My two bunnies are EXTREMELY fussy and won't eat expensive Excel hay really, they eat a lot of grass instead.

Readigrass is the only hay they will eat, I'm so glad I bought some at the pet show as now they actually eat at night!

It smells very sweet. We got advised to introduce a small amount, because it is a sweet hay, and that it should accompany other hay rather than replace it.

Mine love it + have no problem with it. They have a small dish each afternoon when I'm topping up their hay - always goes.

My lot are on 100% Just Grass (the horse dried grass equivalent) which I get as a 15kg bag from a local animal feed supplier. It costs me about £11 and lasts for about a month between my four hooligans.

It goes down really well (no tummy upsets) and I haven't had an issue with their teeth at all, I think that's because it seems to be a bit coarser than Readigrass. As for how much I feed I use a tupperware container about 15 x 6 x 9 inches completely filled up every night and topped up again in the morning.

I have tried them on hay but can't seem to find anything yet that they'd prefer to eat over the Just Grass. Plus an added advantage of using it is that I can store the bale easily in a wheely bin and also transport it with very little mess.

Excel hays are okay. They're not the best I've tried but they do have it as a supplement to their normal hay, the herbs in it seem to help make them interested. I get it free from the vets as part of the Healthy Pet Club, but if I didn't then I wouldn't buy it often, just for when I've run out of the stuff I buy online. It's pretty short-chopped and quite dry brown hay.

I prefer Burns and Alfalfa King brands myself, but Excel does in a pinch.

My two girls love readigrass, and it helps Nena (who has a long term jaw abscess) keep the weight on. More than half of the time when I go into their shed one of them is head first in the readigrass bowl!

Mine get 2 big bowl fulls between them per day.

You can get it in big 15kg sacks for about £17 max if you buy online, and cheaper if you buy from a horse suppliers. If they like readigrass it's a very cost effective way to feed it!

Howdy ho :)

I have been looking at other things to supplement my Bunnies hay and I have found readi-grass, It looks great and If i was a house rabbit it's definitely what I would want to eat!

Can anyone tell me what its like?

Did it go down well?

Cause any tummy upsets?

In what quantity should I give?? I dont plan to replace hay completely but I have heard you can??

Any info is appreciated :)

thanks youuu in advance

I use readigrass all the time instead of hay.

They love it and never any problems :)

My gang love it, but I'm not giving it to them any more purely because Jacquetta got a piece stuck in her gum & it was painful for her so she stopped eating & caused me to panicked & rush her to the vets when we found it.

They also like the excel herb age stuff and it gives them glorious golden poo :love: (please don't think I'm odd for getting so excited over poo!) but it only comes in 1kg bags & I have six bunnies so it's quite expensive so they only get it as an occasional treat.

George gives readi grass 2 thumbs up! Runs in circles for the stuff haha

He has half a hand full with his breakfast and half a handful at tea time :)

Back