• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Running Out of Options for Bobbie :-(

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
Bobbie is coming up for 9 now and all her life she has had chronic respiratory tract problems. This has been controlled with appropriate treatment. Over the last year she has developed arthritis which has resulted in her back legs splaying and in recent months she has had problems with urine scald. Managing/trying to minimise the urine scald obviously involves a lot of hands on care every day. Bobbie has never been keen on a lot of hands on care, but up until a few weeks ago she put up with it most of the time. But now she really really HATES all the daily intervention by me and she gets into such a state that she starts to choke and go blue (due to her chronic respiratory problems). The stress caused by all this has exacerbated her respiratory tract problems meaning she needs yet more daily treatments for that. Today she is basically miserable. Yes, she is eating fine, great output etc. But she is on constant alert for the next session of hands on care. Then she fights me all the way.

I dont think this situation is sustainable. Bobbie's problems are not going to get better, so the hands on care needed every day is not going to decrease. Infact it is likely to increase. I fear we are now at the stage whereby her quality of life is becoming so badly effected by all the (essential) hands on care that I will have to let her go. I will be making an appointment for her within the next 48 hours. I am not expecting a 'good' outcome because I know for a fact that there is nothing more that can be done for her. Not giving the hands on care that is causing her so much distress every single day is simply not an option

:cry:

I'm so sorry :(

I don't know what to say, all I know is that Bobbie is a very lucky bunny to have had you taking care of her and loving her, no bun could have asked for more and I know you will do what's right when the time comes.

Love and hugs to you both xxx

You will know when its time to let her be at peace as you always do Jane. Life is about quality not quantity. We have to ask ourselves is what we are doing for their sake or ours. She has a brilliant long life with you and you have lots of good memories, try not to make too many bad ones towards the end. Thinking of you both.

Oh no, not Bobbie :cry::cry:

I'm so sorry you have to make this desicion for her Jane :cry: I remember the pics of her when she first arrived with you, and the boblets! You've given her a better life than she could have ever thought possible xxxx

So sorry to hear this Jane, but you will make the right decision for Bobbie when you have to. Lucky bunny to have found you. Thinking of you both :love:

It is so terribly sad - but she has had so much love and care from you.

I do know if I was is in the same situation with one of my buns - where the basic care they needed was causing them to be miserable and there was not real hope for improvement in their condition - I would take the necessary steps. I just consider it as part of the promise I make to my buns each and every day that I will care for them and not let any harm or hurt come their way if I can help it.

I know you feel the same way - and whilst it is one of the hardest things for US humans - we know it is one of the best gifts we can give to our babies - a peaceful and painfree passing. I know it this will be so hard for you Jane - and my heart really does go out to you. I think sometimes it is worse thing, fighting so hard for your rabbit's life - you just never ever want to give up but sometimes we have to if only for the sake of the rabbits.

Huge hugs Jane - you're very much in my thoughts.

Thank you for your support. I have made an appointment with Laura for Wednesday morning. At the moment Bobbie is relaxed and munching on her hay. I just wish she could understand that all the hands on care is to try to help her. But she cannot understand that at all :cry:

I'm so sorry :cry:

Bobbie is so lucky that she has a bunny mummy who will make the best decision for her and who has looked after her so well and loved her so much xx

Aw Jane I'm sorry. I remember having this conversation fairly recently on here - I would completely agree with your decision if it is becoming too much for her and you are the best judge of that. So frustrating that we can't explain to them why we have to do these things.

It is so terribly sad - but she has had so much love and care from you.

I do know if I was is in the same situation with one of my buns - where the basic care they needed was causing them to be miserable and there was not real hope for improvement in their condition - I would take the necessary steps. I just consider it as part of the promise I make to my buns each and every day that I will care for them and not let any harm or hurt come their way if I can help it.

I know you feel the same way - and whilst it is one of the hardest things for US humans - we know it is one of the best gifts we can give to our babies - a peaceful and painfree passing. I know it this will be so hard for you Jane - and my heart really does go out to you. I think sometimes it is worse thing, fighting so hard for your rabbit's life - you just never ever want to give up but sometimes we have to if only for the sake of the rabbits.

Huge hugs Jane - you're very much in my thoughts.

I really could not possibly have said anything more spot on than this.^
Thinking of you and Bobbie, Jane, and knowing that whatever happens, Bobbie will know you love her very dearly. A lot of rabbits never know that in this world. She is so blessed to have you caring for her. (((((((Huge hugs)))))) xxxx

I'm so sorry :(

I don't know what to say, all I know is that Bobbie is a very lucky bunny to have had you taking care of her and loving her, no bun could have asked for more and I know you will do what's right when the time comes.

Love and hugs to you both xxx

I cannot say this any better :love: Bobbie has always been one of my very favourite RU buns and I know you will do the right thing if it should come to that.

Sending zillions of vibes for beautiful Bobbie :love:

I completely understand your decision. You don't want to put an elderly bun through so much stress every time you have to check for urine scold and with her gasping and disliking it so much. At least we can make the decision to give an animal dignity without suffering and distress for weeks or months. I know this isn't an easy decision to make and you always put the welfare of your animals first and foremost. I hope Wednesday will be alright and am sure you and Laura will know what is best for Bobbie. Xxx

Good luck for all of you with this difficult decision: it's so hard they they can't understand but I think at least it's a relief that they CAN have choices made for them :) You've done more than your best, I'm sure, Jane! :)

Back