• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Housing in lean-to but run outdoors? Growing winter coat & temp changes

nessar

Warren Veteran
For the winter I have brought the rabbits into the lean-to/conservatory attached to my house, it is basically a conservatory but has a wooden roof. It is unheated but remains a higher temperature than outside. But the area they have access to is only about 3ft by 10ft, so I'd like them to still be able to access their run during nicer weather.

They haven't been outside much lately and I'm worried that they won't develop real winter coats. I'm also concerned about the temperature change from the unheated lean-to to outside later in the year - I'm not sure what sort of temperature difference there will be as I've only just moved here.

Anyone have any experience with or advice about keeping rabbits in unheated garages/conservatories in winter and letting them outside during the day?

I'm sure there was someone who had a indoor bunny who had permanent access to outside via a tunnel. I can't remember who though! Mine are either indoor or outdoor so I can't advise, but bumping up for you.

Mine lives outside but comes inside in the evening before going back out....

Plenty of hay and bedding, 2x snugglesafe heat pads in the bedroom area, hutch is insulated and a thermal cover is over it..

my indoor temp is around 12-15 degrees, the heating hasn't been turned on yet

Last edited:
Mine lives outside but comes inside in the evening before going back out....

Plenty of hay and bedding, 2x snugglesafe heat pads in the bedroom area, hutch is insulated and a thermal cover is over it..

my indoor temp is around 12-15 degrees, the heating hasn't been turned on yet

Yes, I did that last year in my old house. Barney came in for his medication and pellets every night, but it didn't worry me too much as he was outside the rest of the time so grew a thick winter coat.

Yes, I did that last year in my old house. Barney came in for his medication and pellets every night, but it didn't worry me too much as he was outside the rest of the time so grew a thick winter coat.

Our two live outside in their shed and come in every night from 6 till 10pm they've got thick winter coats now.

Mine do what they like - I've got runaround tunnels from the house, through the garden to the shed - although they tend to spend the night in the shed. I think it is more about their choice so as long as they can come in when they like (or get chilly) that will be fine.

Back