• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hemp Flooring? Can anyone recommend? :)

pudgey420

Warren Scout
Hello :)

I have been looking for alternatives to Sawdust to Line Willow's indoor cage, She currently has newspaper and this seems okay minus her paws getting a bit mucky but it seems to be helping toilet train her and encouraging her to use her litter tray!

I have been researching and stumbled across Hemp mats - Has anyone tried these?

I think I may give them a go! Looking for something safe if she decides to nibble it!

Something like these? https://www.deemillen.co.uk/hemp-sm....html?osCsid=843347f08dc0f18cd46b2e31ab1b77a6

I've used hemp mats for the mice, I don't think I'd recommend them for rabbits but you could give it a go, they might be better than I'd expect.

I've used loose hemp products (Aubiose and competitors) and found them an excellent replacement for wood shavings in a litter tray. Now I just use a newspaper with hay on the top.

Bumping up for you. Sorry I can't advise, I use rubber matting in the bunny shed and Boots has laminate in his room.

Thanks for your reply BattleKat - Was beginning to think no one would answer haha!
:)
I have had a look at the loose hemp bedding which definitely seems better than Sawdust, I'd just rather eliminate the mess completely and have something she could sit on/Possibly chew - This isn't for the litter tray though its for the bottom of her cage.

She is indoor but out and about most of the time, I just want something comfier than the plastic base and newspaper seems to make her white leggies a bit dirty :( Could you recommend a brand please??

Would you recommend a towel? or Vet bed??

Thanks for bumping this up Zoobec, muchos appreciated :D

If it's just for her base I'd put in a fleece blanket or something. My rabbits have lino flooring in their shed with washable doormats down, and their carrier/bed areas have fleece blanket (which they do chew from time to time).
Personally I didn't get on with vet bed at all but I know others do.

The hemp mats would probably be ok for something to go in her cage, but (like anything) you'd have to be careful she wasn't eating it.

Will a fleece blanket cause less troubles than a cotton towel if ingested?

I will keep my eye on her but so far she hasn't bothered at all the with newspaper that is down and I have bought a wee pet mat which is waterproofed on one side that I have been putting on the bed so she can come and chill with us so was thinking about maybe placing that in the cage just a bit scared she gets a bit bored in the night and chews it! Hopefully not though.

Apparently the hemp mats are meant to be safe if eaten? Wouldnt obviously let her munch away at them though haha.

Thanks so much for replies :)

iirc, towel isn't a great idea because nails can get caught up in the loops and there are long fibres which can cause trouble if eaten.

You could try cardboard, Scamp loves to sit in a cardboard tray, admitted he does chew the edges so it ends up more cardboard pieces than try but he has fun doing it :lol: You can get pre-shredded cardboard for litter as well.

Back