• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Newspaper paws?! Advice please :)

pudgey420

Warren Scout
Hello there guys :)

Been loving all the info from this forum recently so decided I would join in!

Just a wee question, My baby Bun Willow is about 10 weeks and I have been using sawdust in her cage but I don't like it very much, It's messy and I feel it may irritate her wee eyes and nose! My friend recommended using news paper and I was wondering what your thought are on this?

Is it safe if they decide to chew some?
Will it make her white paws all dirty with the ink?

Can you please let me know what brands/type of things for flooring in her cage? She's a house bunny so just in there when I am out and about. :)

Last edited:
I just have rubber flooring in my outdoor pair's shed, and my indoor bunny's room is laminate. Then they have wood pellet cat litter with hay on top in the litter tray, but lots of people use newspaper in their trays with hay on top. Cleaning out is much easier and litter training is easier too if the floor is clear of any bedding.

Hi and welcome to the forum. :wave: I use newspaper in the bottom of the litter tray for mine in case of any wees outside the smaller wee trays. If I don't then buster will wee, tread in it, and spread it all around the dining room! He tends to shred the paper, but doesn't eat it. Bunny is white and beige and she has permanently grey paws at the moment... As far as I know it doesn't do them any harm unless they start eating it in large amounts and that may cause a blockage. Make sure you lost some photos of them.

Hello

Thanks for the warm welcome and replies :wave: :

Ahh Okay great, I have noticed that her paws look a bit dirtier and wasn't sure if that was very good for if she is licking her paws and stuff!
I have noticed the past day that she is starting to use her litter tray as there are no wet patches around her cage which I noticed when using Sawdust, so thats definitely a good thing! I may keep the newspaper and one she i litter trained maybe use a blanket or something?? I havent noticed her chewing it too much.

In her litter tray at the moment I have carefresh and then some hay and so far so good. I will keep an eye out to check she isn't eating the newspaper in large amounts.

Thank you guys :love:

Isn't she the cutest?! Can't stop looking at her, She's just perfect :) <3

Okay great, thanks for putting my mind at rest! :)

Once she's worked out the tray I'd just leave it bare, although newspaper is fun for shredding or a few sheets or cardboard make comfy spot for napping. You can get grass/sisal mats too but they do tend to shred those as well so it depends how you feel about spending money on something that might get eaten :)

B&B Buns - Yes She's registered with the vet and we are just waiting for her to become old enough, Should be about February Time me thinks :)
I'm a bit worried about it but I will think about it at the time!!

Hi Tamsin! Thanks for your response - I have your books and they are so helpful :)
I was thinking about going for nothing but wasn't sure if the plastic would be a bit bare and rub on her legs?
Also, She's lying next to me as i type this and she has major hiccups haha, She gets them all the time its quite funny. I read it's quite normal for baby rabbits to get hiccups, Is that right? :)

Ah good. My bun was spayed at 5 months ish, and I was really worried but I had every faith in my vet and she was fine. She actually recovered quite quickly too. There's some great advice on here for after care etc. so be sure to take a look.

Not sure about hiccups being normal, but my Bunny had them quite a few times when she was little (the first time really freaked me out!) but she's not had them (that I've seen of course!) for the last few months.

Hope you enjoy the forum. Saw your intro post too - I love her full name!!

When my buns had a cage as a base I put vet bed in the bottom. It's a fluffy cover with a sort of rubbery backing. Have to watch v carefully that she doesn't't chew it though and remove immediately if she does as it could cause a blockage in her gut. Now they have a big hutch I have lino on both levels with some vet bed for lying on on the top floor but they never lie on it. They seem to prefer the lino, weirdos.

Back