• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Respiratory issue- Hope. UD post 39, Home :O

Sky-O

Wise Old Thumper
Hope is one of those who have several genetic links to thymoma (three brothers had/ve it and his dad, sister also has a heart murmur). He has been 'off' for a while but we thought it was his arthritis so adjusted his meds accordingly and he settled.

Today his breathing has been all over the place- no regular rate and he looks like he is hiccuping every so often. He's so bright and lively, no behavioural problems or changes, but his breathing is entirely off.

He has obviously seen the vet- it's not one who has met the others and she knows their history, but she wants to treat for infection first. She could find no signs of any respiratory issue (same as all the others, other than the obvious increased resp rate, until they started to eye bulge).

He's home. I've followed her advice, and kind of done my own thing (which is inline with what our regular vet would and has suggested for all the others).

Poor Hope could do with some vibes please.

Last edited:
Thanks Jane, the speed with which he's fallen was quite scary. I'm not sure he can survive for long like this, but hopefully now he has been nebulised and stuff, it might settle a bit. Despite all of that, he is still a good pink colour.

He's been admitted, after deteriorating.

Thank you both Fee and Jane for taking the time to reply. :)

Just seeing this...sending all possible healing vibes your way. How scary that this has come on so suddenly, but keeping fingers and paws crossed that Hope will recover.
(((((Hugs)))) for you. xxxxx

He's been admitted, after deteriorating.

Thank you both Fee and Jane for taking the time to reply. :)

I am sorry he has deteriorated :cry: When you mentioned the 'hiccuping' I did wonder if this might happen as I have seen the same scenario when a mass in the chest grows to a significant size :cry:

It is so very hard to have numerous 'on borrowed time' Rabbits to care for, I truly empathise with you

Lots more vibes being sent for Hope xx

Thanks everyone. Thanks Jane also for the cross post in Rabbit Chat- I never really know where to put threads like this because when I started writing I was going to ask for advice.

Also thank you Jane for your thoughts RE the 'hiccups'. That wouldn't surprise me. No one, however, can find anything at all abnormal one exam, other than I could see he was getting cyanotic and his obvious breathing effort (although when she listened last night she said his effort levels were higher and she could hear that).

I don't know how he is this morning yet. She will call me this morning depending on what emergencies she gets in. Last night, after an hour on oxygen, he was doing much better. That's not a realistic long term option for him though, obviously. If he can't come off oxygen, then we're done.

Back