• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My bunnies will be well fed for quite some time....

tammybunny

Young Bun
Popped into Sainsburys on the way home tonight and picked up some bargain 5p veg!

6hhsg9.jpg

The leeks are for me :)

I don't think leaks will be any good for them as they are part of the onion family... might want to look into that:S

Is it bad that I don't know what the big green things at the front are? :oops:

I'd use the leeks for leek and potato soup :thumb:

That's mental! 5p! Awesome! Our Sainsbury's used to have its changeover stock day on Thursdays but the last Thursday I was in there it wasn't very bargain-filled, so I think it might have changed...

Asparagus or the celeriac, I had no idea what the celeriac was either. Apparently it's quite tasty and good for low cal mash.

That's mental! 5p! Awesome! Our Sainsbury's used to have its changeover stock day on Thursdays but the last Thursday I was in there it wasn't very bargain-filled, so I think it might have changed...

I go to a Sainsburys local on the way home from my mums, it closes at 10, but if you go just before 9 they start reducing all the stuff to 5p. If they don't get sold past around 9.30 all of it gets binned :-(

If I time it right in Asda they reduce loads of veg, and quite often the fresh herbs. Quite often get bags of herbs for 2p, but they do need to be eaten that day!

I love finding bargains like this!
I also find that it lasts about 3 dates after the sell by date too and so the veggies are cheaper yet they all get eaten before they actually go 'off'

Un bunny related - but I went to a shop a few days ago at nearly 11pm and he gave me two free doughnuts because he said they wouldn't sell and they get a new delivery every morning, I always see him in there but I guess ill try and go late for their left over food doughnuts and bakery stuff :lol: I ate it when I got home and gave the other one to my mum :lol:

If I time it right in Asda they reduce loads of veg, and quite often the fresh herbs. Quite often get bags of herbs for 2p, but they do need to be eaten that day!

The herbs will freeze (for human consumption!) if the buns don't manage the lot.... Oh wait.... :lol:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is my new obsession - going shopping late in hopes of getting some bargains :lol:
I've done quite well with Morrisons and Asda, but don't get to go into Sainsbury's often. The nearest Tesco is a bit of a distance, so if we get anything from there we order online (which means no bargains :|)
There's usually not a lot there for a vegetarian, but sometimes you get some good things. Can't say I've really found much for the bunnies, though I did get a small amount of parsley in Asda a little while back for 5p, which I was pleased with.
The celeriac - I've never actually seen/used it before :oops: I've heard of it, but never really looked for it. Is the whole thing safe (skin ect, if washed of course)? Kind of looks like swede, so I'm guessing it's tough to cut. Is it like carrot where you can only feed a little? Looks like the type of vegetable that keeps for a while, which would be a bonus if it's only the rabbits that eat it :lol: Google seems to suggest it tastes like celery. If so, it will definitely be the rabbits eating it. I hate celery. Passionately.

Slightly off topic, has anyone ever been recognized as having a rabbit in a supermarket? (not including buying obvious things like hay ect :lol:) My Mum and I were in Morrisons about a year ago and bought some veggies for Willow (Spring greens, celery, herbs, carrot ect), and the lady on the checkout asked if it was for a rabbit. I think her daughter had one or something and she guessed we did too :p

This is my new obsession - going shopping late in hopes of getting some bargains :lol:
I've done quite well with Morrisons and Asda, but don't get to go into Sainsbury's often. The nearest Tesco is a bit of a distance, so if we get anything from there we order online (which means no bargains :|)
There's usually not a lot there for a vegetarian, but sometimes you get some good things. Can't say I've really found much for the bunnies, though I did get a small amount of parsley in Asda a little while back for 5p, which I was pleased with.
The celeriac - I've never actually seen/used it before :oops: I've heard of it, but never really looked for it. Is the whole thing safe (skin ect, if washed of course)? Kind of looks like swede, so I'm guessing it's tough to cut. Is it like carrot where you can only feed a little? Looks like the type of vegetable that keeps for a while, which would be a bonus if it's only the rabbits that eat it :lol: Google seems to suggest it tastes like celery. If so, it will definitely be the rabbits eating it. I hate celery. Passionately.

Slightly off topic, has anyone ever been recognized as having a rabbit in a supermarket? (not including buying obvious things like hay ect :lol:) My Mum and I were in Morrisons about a year ago and bought some veggies for Willow (Spring greens, celery, herbs, carrot ect), and the lady on the checkout asked if it was for a rabbit. I think her daughter had one or something and she guessed we did too :p

Oh really, when I go to the supermarket it's always the vegetables that are left, never any meat. The whole celeriac is bunny safe, I have a 'rabbit safe' food list stuck on my fridge... I'm having celeriac mash tonight with sausages. I'll let you know if the mash is yummy, I'll be feeding the peelings to the rabbits. It's quite hard to peel, it has the texture of swede on the outside and when boiled is the texture of parsnips.

I gave them the stalky bit of asparagus earlier and they just ignored it.

Nope, not recognised as having a rabbit yet. Though my local Sainsburys should suspect I have a veg eating pet soon, not sure it's normal for people to buy this much reduced veg on a regular basis.

Back