• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Regular Panacur

o-Chloe-o

Mama Doe
Hi :wave: Just wondering whether people give their bunnies a regular course of Panacur (maybe once or twice a year) to prevent illness such as E.C.? Having sadly lost one of my bunnies to E.C. previously and going through the heartbreak of seeing him suffer (he was treated intensively and given treatment immediately too but seemingly it wasn't enough :(), I just want to do anything I can to make sure this doesn't happen again to any of my bunnies. xx

I do not give Panacur on a regular/routine basis. I give every new intake a one off 28 day course and I do not give it again unless clinical symptoms of EC present or if I am specifically advised to give it by my Vet. Some Exotics Vets are now saying that Panacur is no longer effective in treating EC, although some will still prescribe it. Giving repeated courses of Panacur could lead to the Rabbit becoming resistant to it. Also, it can have negative side effects including causing problems with the bone marrow.

Nope, I don't.

I have had two Rabbits with EC in the past and would only give it when symptoms appeared.

I've never given it routinely, but as Harvey died with what may have been EC I have given Lilly a 28 day course. I wouldn't give it to her again unless there was a chance of her having been exposed to it, her showing symptoms or a vet recommending it though because I wouldn't want to add to resistance issues and would be concerned about side effects of long term use

I've never given it routinely, but as Harvey died with what may have been EC I have given Lilly a 28 day course. I wouldn't give it to her again unless there was a chance of her having been exposed to it, her showing symptoms or a vet recommending it though because I wouldn't want to add to resistance issues and would be concerned about side effects of long term use

Oh aye, I would also give the treatment to a bunny exposed to a bunny with EC.

I agree with Jane, a one off full course, including cleaning at the end, if you are worried about EC but regular short courses aren't going to help with that and could lead to it becoming resistant. I also don't think worming regularly is necessary for rabbits - it's just product marketing.

Hi :wave: Just wondering whether people give their bunnies a regular course of Panacur (maybe once or twice a year) to prevent illness such as E.C.? Having sadly lost one of my bunnies to E.C. previously and going through the heartbreak of seeing him suffer (he was treated intensively and given treatment immediately too but seemingly it wasn't enough :(), I just want to do anything I can to make sure this doesn't happen again to any of my bunnies. xx

I don't routinely treat my rabbits for E.C. I believe it's best to use Panacur when it's needed, and if symptoms present themselves.

However, I can understand you wishing to protect your existing bunnies, and if you choose a 28 day course of Panacur (if recommended by a rabbit savvy vet) I can see no harm, as there are no side effects if administered at the correct dose for 28 days.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone I didn't think of the fact they would build a resistance to it, that does make sense so maybe I won't... I will be using a new vet from now on anyway as my last didn't have a clue ( I took my bunny in knowing he wasn't right and she said there was nothing wrong, next day he was seriously ill :( ) I think I will keep some in the cupboard just in case though. Thanks for your advice all xxxxx

I agree. I can't help but think a regular nine day course of Panacur might be the equivalent of taking a couple of days of antibiotics here and there as a human - it could cause all sorts of resistance.

in past I have only done the 28days course on rabbits with symptoms, or if new bunny came, I am however giving mabel some now actually day 9 today and not sure if should leave it at that the only reason I gave her, was because I was so worried she was in vets and having dental, and when I walked out someone walked in with a rabbit with EC, I know its passed via contaminated food, in the urine etc, but I was so worried, didn't want her at any risk :oops:

I have s 5 year old lop and i have never heard of a panacur, nor have i ever given her one, can someone give me the 411?

Back