• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbits 'acting' in a play

I don't think it sounds a very good idea at all to be honest!

Though at the same time my Harry wouldn't have minded in the least :?

Action for Rabbits are asking people on fb to email the theatre and tell them why it's not a good idea for rabbits to be on stage. They're also concerned about it encouraging children to want a rabbit for Christmas on a whim, and I can see their point tbh :(

I would bet they are not checking that all these rabbits are vaccinated and neutered before being mingled together on stage!

Sounds like an idea that they haven't really thought through! If I took Strawbs he would attack every other bunny in sight!

Sounds like they don't know what they're letting themselves in for. I can't imagine any rabbit taking direction and rehearsing like they've suggested. I especially can't imagine any rabbit staying calm during an actual show with the bright lights, loud speakers, cheering audience and actors running about.
And I agree it does sound like they're encouraging the idea of rabbits as childrens pets which isn't great either. All in all a pretty awful idea by the sounds of it, we should definitely all write to them.

I read this yesterday and went through the faff of registering with the newspaper so I could comment on the article. I more or less included what's been said on this thread already. Absolute recipe for disaster.:evil:

I read this yesterday and went through the faff of registering with the newspaper so I could comment on the article. I more or less included what's been said on this thread already. Absolute recipe for disaster.:evil:

yes totally agree :(

I've emailed the article to RWAF, hopefully they can advise the theatre on the issues raised here.

I had to find out if they had listened to any advice, concerns, so I searched online, I looked at cast photos, and clearly see alice holding a pet rabbit :cry:

I've left a fb comment on RWAF's page asking if they got a response and was their advice ignored?

I love that the review of the play said it was sending out a great message about being kind to rabbits. Oh yes, what a nice life a school pet rabbit would have, sat in a small cage on its own in a dark classroom every night! :evil:

I worry that school groups will go to this play and come out thinking what a good idea it is to go and get a rabbit for their class :(

Anyone local to Bolton/Manchester seen this?

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/news...ty_needed_for_festive_show_at_Bolton_theatre/

My mum sent it to me saying I should put one of mine forward.. I can't picture them doing as they're told on stage or off it!

I'd be worried about stressing them out with journeys there and back, and the strange environment. If I had a very calm, friendly bunny who was cooperative then it might be different.

I don't like animals being used for our entertainment in any way. I don't think I would put my own calm and friendly rabbit through the noise, lights, shouting and clapping that's likely to happen ........

I don't like animals being used for our entertainment in any way. I don't think I would put my own calm and friendly rabbit through the noise, lights, shouting and clapping that's likely to happen ........

I wasn't sure about it to begin with, but I'm definitely against it after hearing more about it. I initially thought it was a drama group putting on some kind of 'workshop' type performance or small-ish play at the theatre.. it turns out it's a huge show and it's the main pantomime over Christmas :?

Plus I'm now really annoyed that they've been contacted by these animal welfare organisations and apparently totally dismissed their concerns :evil:

How ridiculous :shock: I don't think the producers have any experience of rabbits at all. That's going to be a disaster, and terrifying for the buns :(

As usual it's people who are uneducated on rabbit welfare unintentionally distressing loads of rabbits.

All it is going to do is encourage children to beg Father Christmas for a bunny rabbit and unwitting parents buying them from pet shops.

Sigh.

Wonder if they'd ever ask for a dozen cats or dogs to go on stage...

Living in Bolton I emailed the Octagon about this some time ago. I eventually got a reply - RSPCA guidelines will be adhered to, vet will check the facilities for the rabbits, wonderful experience for the kids blah blah blah

You may find me stood outside with a placard. I don't agree with this at all.

Living in Bolton I emailed the Octagon about this some time ago. I eventually got a reply - RSPCA guidelines will be adhered to, vet will check the facilities for the rabbits, wonderful experience for the kids blah blah blah

:thumb:

if I were nearer I'd join you.

It makes me so cross.

totally different theme but there's a pet shop near to where I work which sells rabbits. I cant bear it but I sometimes go and have a look at them. I could cry at the tiny cages they're in. I once politely asked the owner if she knew to cages were rather cramped and I was told they had an exercise run out the back. Anyway I'm digressing.A couple of times a year same shop sells puppies and kittens. And when they do protesters are outside the shop in force. When I asked one of them why they didn't protest for the rabbits She asked why .

I'm a bit of a coward and the police turned up as owner had called them so I sulked back to work but a colleague who has a rabbit said she'd come with me next time there's a protest _ to protest against the protesters.

if I were nearer I'd join you.

It makes me so cross.

totally different theme but there's a pet shop near to where I work which sells rabbits. I cant bear it but I sometimes go and have a look at them. I could cry at the tiny cages they're in. I once politely asked the owner if she knew to cages were rather cramped and I was told they had an exercise run out the back. Anyway I'm digressing.A couple of times a year same shop sells puppies and kittens. And when they do protesters are outside the shop in force. When I asked one of them why they didn't protest for the rabbits She asked why .

I'm a bit of a coward and the police turned up as owner had called them so I sulked back to work but a colleague who has a rabbit said she'd come with me next time there's a protest _ to protest against the protesters.

If the conditions are that bad in the pet shop I would contact the RSPCA, the RWAF, even the council licensing people. I did this with a petting zoo near me, and even though the council wouldn't do anything and thought the conditions were acceptable, I kept pestering until they agreed to send the farm some info on rabbits' diet and conditions. People who've been up there since have told me that things have improved a bit :thumb:

Sometimes it's worth just raising the issue - even if nothing can be done legally, the owners won't want the hassle and will take steps to improve things :)

Oh what a brilliant idea, I'll sign Slipper up immediately! :roll: that rabbit doesn't listen to anyone!!

Can't they get somebody to dress up as a rabbit, or even better use a soft toy rabbit. Why do they think they NEED live rabbits for the play. It's just going to stress the poor rabbit out and encourage parents to buy them for their kiddies at Christmas on a whim :evil: :censored:

Last edited:
Back