• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice about bunny proofing please

garfieldette

Young Bun
Hi

I am setting up to adopt two rescue rabbits to become house bunnies. The more I read, the more I look round my house and think I am going to have to strip everything out of the house and live in the garage! I would really appreciate some advice on how I can bunny proof some things or whether you think these will be a problem:

• We have a lot of plug sockets in our house that protrude from the wall about 1-2 inches. Would the rabbits chew on these? Do I have to find a way to box in every plug socket and if so any suggestions on with what?
  • We are short of plug sockets so use a lot of extension leads which have to go across open floor. Do I need to buy armour plated type hose to protect these from chewing or is normal hose strong enough?
  • I had planned to slowly increase the rabbits roaming territory to the whole house once each room is bunny proofed. But was looking at our stairs and a long time ago we had to take the bannister down to get a big piece of furniture upstairs so the lower half of the stairs is open at the side. Would rabbits jump off and hurt themselves? Am I going to have to chicken wire in the side?
  • (last one) The carpet in their room is old so I am not fussed about it getting wrecked or chewed. But was reading that chewing the carpet can make them ill. The carpet in that room has a separate piece by the fitted wardrobes so they will have easy access to chew edges. Is just covering over the open edge with rugs enough to make it safe? If so, is it pure cotton rugs I need to look for?

Sorry for so many questions. I am getting a little freaked out about how much is unsafe for them

I can only really answer these from my experience of Ludo as he's the only house rabbit we have.

We have a lot of plug sockets in our house that protrude from the wall about 1-2 inches. Would the rabbits chew on these? Do I have to find a way to box in every plug socket and if so any suggestions on with what?

I haven't had to cover mine as Ludo doesn't like them.

We are short of plug sockets so use a lot of extension leads which have to go across open floor. Do I need to buy armour plated type hose to protect these from chewing or is normal hose strong enough?

Yes, we have extension leads running everywhere too. We found the hoses worked fine from Wickes. Ludo can't get a grip on them to bite and so luckily lost interest.

I had planned to slowly increase the rabbits roaming territory to the whole house once each room is bunny proofed. But was looking at our stairs and a long time ago we had to take the bannister down to get a big piece of furniture upstairs so the lower half of the stairs is open at the side. Would rabbits jump off and hurt themselves? Am I going to have to chicken wire in the side?

Although they probably wouldn't you can never be sure especially if they get frightened at a noise and bolt or have poor eyesight. So yes, I'd definitely get some sort of wire!

(last one) The carpet in their room is old so I am not fussed about it getting wrecked or chewed. But was reading that chewing the carpet can make them ill. The carpet in that room has a separate piece by the fitted wardrobes so they will have easy access to chew edges. Is just covering over the open edge with rugs enough to make it safe? If so, is it pure cotton rugs I need to look for?

Some bunnies like carpet others leave it. Covering the edges should be fine until you get to know the bunnies but be warned one day they may take a sudden liking to carpet! I buy the sofa throws from Primark for about £5 and use them on the carpet.

Thanks for your response Hesperus, its great to get another opinion. I will start looking for something to box the stairs in with that looks a bit nicer than chicken wire:)

Is the hose you use from Wickes just bog standard hosepipe?

Thanks for your response Hesperus, its great to get another opinion. I will start looking for something to box the stairs in with that looks a bit nicer than chicken wire:)

Is the hose you use from Wickes just bog standard hosepipe?
Oh no it's the proper electric wire covering stuff, I thought maybe it was called hosing, it looks like a white plastic hose pipe. I can't remember it's proper name I'll ask my Dad and get back to you! It was only about 3 quid....

Hi

I am setting up to adopt two rescue rabbits to become house bunnies. The more I read, the more I look round my house and think I am going to have to strip everything out of the house and live in the garage! I would really appreciate some advice on how I can bunny proof some things or whether you think these will be a problem:

• We have a lot of plug sockets in our house that protrude from the wall about 1-2 inches. Would the rabbits chew on these? Do I have to find a way to box in every plug socket and if so any suggestions on with what?

I think this depends on your bunnies - my current pair aren't too nibbley but my last bunny used to eat everything!
  • We are short of plug sockets so use a lot of extension leads which have to go across open floor. Do I need to buy armour plated type hose to protect these from chewing or is normal hose strong enough?

we don't have this because the rabbits ate through the last wire protectors now it's all cables up high out of harms way
  • I had planned to slowly increase the rabbits roaming territory to the whole house once each room is bunny proofed. But was looking at our stairs and a long time ago we had to take the bannister down to get a big piece of furniture upstairs so the lower half of the stairs is open at the side. Would rabbits jump off and hurt themselves? Am I going to have to chicken wire in the side?

we currently have our living room upstairs and the rabbits have access to the hall and open stair case. They learnt how to get down and up but don't do it often. They have never fallen and Walter goes at such a speed it's untrue.
  • (last one) The carpet in their room is old so I am not fussed about it getting wrecked or chewed. But was reading that chewing the carpet can make them ill. The carpet in that room has a separate piece by the fitted wardrobes so they will have easy access to chew edges. Is just covering over the open edge with rugs enough to make it safe? If so, is it pure cotton rugs I need to look for?

Again, I think this depends on the rabbit. My current pair don't dig or eat the carpet but my last rabbit ate holes in it every chance possible. I think having other things to eat and dig helps distract them. If they are chewy bunnies, we used to have a safe room for when we were out with furniture blocking access to danger and the rest of the flat was supervised. My last bunny was 9 and all the nibbling he did, didn't do him any harm in the end (although I still don't think it's advisable to let them eat everything lol )

Sorry for so many questions. I am getting a little freaked out about how much is unsafe for them

I'm sure they will be very happy with you! :D

Thanks for the reply Iggyperdyandme. These will be my first house bunnies and I am finding it difficult to bunny proof not knowing what rabbits I will be adopting, what size and whether they are chewers! I'm trying to lift as many wires as I can off the floor but with our reliance of socket extensions its making it difficult.

Louie doesn't chew sockets or carpets, luckily! The only wires I have are those behind the television unit so I have 3 panels of a puppy pen to block these off when no one is in the room.

It really does depend on your bunnies personalities, out of my two rabbits, Jessica never chewed a thing she shouldn't have and I really wouldn't have needed to bunny proof much for her at all... however... my rabbit Domino literally chewed anything he could get a hold of, and particularly liked it when I attempted to cordon areas off, as he knew there would be something chewable behind it and therefore always managed to find a sneaky little way of getting through!!! :roll: All part of the fun though! I would just try to remove everything you can from bunny height, in particular books on low level book shelves, any wires that cannot be lifted high should be covered in those hard case plastic 'wire tidy' things (like these:http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-m-Cable-Tidy-Wire-Organising-Tool-Zip-Kit-Spiral-Wrap-Home-PC-TV-Office-/390885561439) . You will know more when your bunnies move in, obviously keep an eye on them and they will point out any flaws in your bunny proofing in no time... :)

Last edited:
Back