• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonded pair fighting UD Final question post 20

Liz47

Wise Old Thumper
I don't know what can have set this off. :( Beano and Gordon have been bonded nearly 4 years no problems. I moved into a flat on 1st september and brought them with me, they have their crate the same as they had it in the shed and have the bedroom whilst we are out and whole flat while we are in and there has been no problems, they've settled really well. However tonight I heard banging from the bedroom and saw them chasing eachother, Beano chasing Gordon making quiet grunting noises and Gordon was jumping back at her. They keep both facing eachother and jumping in the air towards each other which I have never seen before. There's both their fur around the bedroom and they won't stop going for eachother, Beano is really riled up, heavy breathing, tail straight in the air etc and I wasn't sure to leave them be but Gordon was being bitten and he was squealing so I've closed the crate door with beano in and gordon out, each have a litter tray and Beano's now eating hay and Gordon's had a bit but he's more interested in getting at Beano although I think he's settling down now.

I can't think of anything that could have caused this, so I'm really not sure how to resolve it. Any suggestions on what to do with them please?

Last edited:
Really sorry to hear this news about Beano and Gordon. I don't have experience of bonded rabbits, but hopefully others will be able to offer advice.

Thankyou, I think it's getting worse now, they're running at each other, kicking and jumping etc I don't know whether to separate or whether that will make it worse. They're due their tea now too but don't know whether giving pellets and veg will also make it worse

I think I would separate them for tonight, in case they hurt each other. Do you have somewhere neutral you could use to rebond them, like the bathroom/kitchen?

I recently had to rebond two sisters as they'd started fighting for some reason. After a few days in the bonding pen they were the best of friends again.

It's awful to see two previously happy buns turn on each other :( Hope they can be friends again xx

I think I would separate them for tonight, in case they hurt each other. Do you have somewhere neutral you could use to rebond them, like the bathroom/kitchen?

I recently had to rebond two sisters as they'd started fighting for some reason. After a few days in the bonding pen they were the best of friends again.

It's awful to see two previously happy buns turn on each other :( Hope they can be friends again xx

Thank you. I have shut beano in the crate and gordon outside, they both have a litter tray and food and water bowl. Is it best they can see each other or not? I was going to put a towel over a bit of the crate to give them both some privacy? Gordon is flopped out now after all the activity and Beano looks worn out too :cry: The kitchen is joined to the living room so bathroom the best bet at rebonding I think. will have to buy some pen pannels to use and things though. I have to go to work 1.30-5.30 tomorrow so it will have to be after that though as I'll be on my own, boyfriend is going to visit his family so no one else will be in to supervise :( It's reassuring to know your buns bonded well again though xx

This has happened twice to me in 3 months, it was quite disconcerting the first time it happened, but as quick as it started, it was over. The second time(last week) I was on the verge of rehoming the more aggressive of the 2 and had arranged a place in a rescue. I have kept them separate, however, I came home from work tonight to see them curled up together grooming each other for England! If it happens again, I'll separate them until the aggressive stage has passed to prevent any injuries. ;)

Last edited:
Sorry, just to check are they two boys or a boy and girl?

I think you are right to separate for the night, they can cause nasty injuries. If they are relaxed then I would say it's fine if they can see each other, if you are worried and have spare pen panels then making a second barrier a few inches for the crate so they can't touch through the bars ensures no nibbled noses. If they seem on edge or are winding each other up then something solid.

Do check carefully for wounds they can be hard to spot under the fluff. It's a long time to have been upset over the move - unless they've had any extra access to space in the last couple of days.

I think I'd probably let them relax and then try a neutral area tomorrow if you have one.

Thank you for the replies. Sorry yes beano is a girl. They're ok in view of eachother so ill leave them be for now and will buy a pen to use to re bond in tonight after work and hope they'll soon be settled again

I walked 40 mins to pets at home after work thinking it would shut the same time it does on week days but it was shut! So I dont have a pen to bond in yet but will get one tomorrow morning. They're fine being around eachother but separated but I tried them back together this morning and it was the same as last night.

Have you got a neutral room eg a bathroom you could repurpose :)

I do have the bathroom but nothing to block a smaller area off with? Do I need to do that like in bonding first time round? I presumed I would since they are just running away from each other when they're not fighting and that seems to get them worked up?

Depends how big your bathroom is :) I would say about 4'-5' square with a nice pile of hay in the middle might do the trick.

Ah well my bathroom isn't much bigger than that thank you! Will try them together now with nothing in but hay

ETA: Turns out when I look at my bathroom it is quite bigger actually! so for now I've used things to block off a section of the kitchen since it is open to the living room but they've never been in. when I first put them in Beano began eating hay but Gordon started looking for a way out then went for her, that soon settled but he stayed stood really still panting and beano went back to eating hay but every time she moved he lunged towards her. he's began eating hay now though but not near her but they're still very jumpy and weary of each other.

Last edited:
Thank you. I bought a pen since when im done I can use it for the piggies anyway, and all is good, three not been grooming or lying next to each other yet but there's been no more fights. Going to clean their crate out today and the bedroom, do I need to try and neutralise the bedroom like I would with first time bonding? And should I keep them in the crate first for a day or two then open it to the bedroom again once they are ready or do I not need to do this does anyone know?

I could be wrong, but do you think maybe a rabbit has lived in the flat before you? Maybe the previous owner had a rabbit or another pet that may have unsettled your two? I would neutralise it just to be sure in case it causes them to fight again

I would get them checked by a vet, rabbits can often sense if each other are unwell and this can sometimes cause them to kick off. It's a defense mechanism as in the wild they would not want a poorly rabbit to draw attention to the warren and put everyone else at risk.

I could be wrong, but do you think maybe a rabbit has lived in the flat before you? Maybe the previous owner had a rabbit or another pet that may have unsettled your two? I would neutralise it just to be sure in case it causes them to fight again

Ah I didn't think of that, although the carpets were washed before I got here and there was no pets when I viewed it but you never know. and I read it could be caused by illness too, although both are eating fine and showing no signs of anything at all but I thought about getting them checked but thought the vet would just be like well there's no symptoms of anything they're fine...but might take them anyway although would be worried about stressing them through a journey which might cause them to be funny again, although then again it might cause them to comfort each other during the journey also.

The bunnies are doing well, they now have in their pen a new mat I bought them, water bowl and food bowl and a couple of their old toys plus a new litter tray and they are fine. I have just a last question though, when would people recommend I can move them back into the bedroom? I have cleaned their crate and their litter tray as well as their toys and I cleaned the carpet also. I was thinking of moving the bonding pen into the bedroom first and still keeping them in it and if they are fine let them have the bedroom and their crate ect again? Should I leave them as they are in the kitchen for longer first though? I was going to leave them another day at least but not sure if I should leave them longer...

Back