• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

needing sum help

fiesta_17

New Kit
hi there i had posted that this week i have lost one off my rabbits and i am left if one now and i just feel like i would like to get sumthing to keep in right him as he has a very large hut that is 4 feet with 4 feet ,... he is a very large continental giant rabbit year and a half old never being his self i wos looking for sum help about geting a gunni pig will he be ok with it and would it have to be a male or female thanks just dont wont him in his self and i all so have heat lamps in the heat on at all times to

Hiya and Welcome!

I am sorry you lost one of your bunnies, its very sad to hear...

You say you have a 4 x 4 hut for contintental giant rabbit? I think that sounds way too small sadly.

Do you have any pictures you could show us and someone might be able to give you advice.

I also dont think a continental giant with a guinea pig is a good idea. Contis and any other rabbits are not good companions for piggies as they can stand on them if startled..

Sorry for sounding a wee bit negative .. We just like to make sure all is Okay!

sorry wen i read your reply i noted i write 4 feet bye 4 feet its wrong its 5.7l and 6w .....the hut is that big you could lyn down in it no probs thats how big it is .........if you think it is not a good idear what would you so would be the best way just not likeing him being his self

Hello,

First thing's first - continental rabbits need BIG enclosures. Most people actually have giants (i.e Conties, Frenches, English Lops etc) inside as it's easier to provide the space and stimulation they need inside the house. If your new measurements are correct, then I make that out to be 34 square feet (5.7ft x 6ft). This is still too small for a contie, unfortunately. Small/medium rabbits need around 44sqft minimum, to put it into perspective. 32sqft is not enough for a contie, unfortunately. What sort of set up do you have at the moment? Is it a hutch and run, or a shed, or an aviary, or what? Photographs would be a great way to help advise you on what to do.

Another thing - rabbits don't need heatlamps. Unless it was freezing (and I mean seriously freezing, not just 0 degrees - think arctic winter) then they'll be able to grow a coat thick enough to cope over winter. Lots of straw in their hutch/shed/housing is also recommended, just to help them cope a bit better.

Rabbits need company, either in human form or other rabbit form. Guinea pigs are NOT a good idea, especially with a giant rabbit. Not only is there the risk of bordatella being passed between the two, resulting in illness, (more advice here: http://www.rspca.org.uk/adviceandwelfare/pets/rabbits/company/rabbitsandguineapigs) one kick from a continental could easily kill a piggie. The best sort of friend is another bunny, and it's even better to adopt from a rescue center. That way your new bunny will come spayed/neutered, vaccinated and health checked - saving you £££.

Is your boy neutered?

Last edited:
I haven't got a pic the now will get one up ...my shed is that big you could keep a dog in it no probs it is very large with a very large run ...went to the SPCA to see is tha had any rabbits in to day but got none in at the moment ..can anybody tell me were there is a rescue centre up this way in Glasgow ...I have a golden Labrador he loves to go in with buddy that's how large his cage is

Hiya. Yep, i adopted from there.. They will require to do a homecheck.

They are based in Kirkintilloch and can help with bonding. If you go to link above or go onto their facebook page. They'll get back to you. They are usually very busy though, might take a couple of days for a response!

Back