• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Introducing buns to grass

Fellie

Warren Veteran
We will have a nice sized garden when we eventually move - at the moment it is grassed over (lovely lush green grass). I do want the buns to have time outside - it seems a great shame to have all this space but keep them cooped up indoors :(

I've been having a 'discussion' with hubby - actually he's just saying NO :evil: - due to fears over foxes, buns escaping - and eating grass.

Firstly - the garden is boarded on 3 sides by other peoples gardens - the only access to ours is through the big garden gate and our house - so easily fox proofed and I don't think foxes will come anyway but will obviously bear that in mind.

The grass issue though - he has a point but is also saying 'the buns are too old to be introduced to new foods' - which I think is rubbish personally :lol: - I intend to cut grass and give them bits of the grass - a very little bit to start with, and then increasing it BEFORE I let them out so that their tums get used to.

And even if we decide it really isn't safe from foxes - I think it is a sin to have all that lovely fresh green grass and not use it.:shock:

So is he possibly right? Our oldest bun is only 3 years old - surely that's not too old to introduce so nice fresh food too?

I would introduce grass in very small amounts to start with. Do they have vegetables/herbs/hay now?
With regards to foxes. You can never completely make your garden safe if they free range. If you use a run make sure you use fox proof mesh and it is attached to the ground so it can't be moved/knocked over. It's safer if the run is on concrete so a fox can't dig in and also your bunny can't dig out!

Mine have grass every day (hand picked from a local field on the previous days dog walk). I cant see it being a problem at all, it is a rabbits natural food after all.

I realise that it will need to be introduced slowly, but you seem to have that covered.

Foxes seem to be quite abundant in towns so not necessarily going to be put off by having to go through someones garden to get to you. I would (if you can) have a weld meshed run for them, although supervised free range time would be lovely for them, surely a fox wouldnt come and get them if you were there???

Hope you manage to convince your oh!

Back