• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Winter Proofing! Bubble Wrap

Chaba

New Kit
Hi all, sorry if this has been posted before. I am currently winter proofing our hutches at the mo. Got two big thick jumpers cut up on the roof, then a shower curtain and then a tarp on top of it all. I want to make sure my rabbits stay warm, I've seen people using Therma Wrap on the oustide of hutches for insulation and was planning on doing the same. My question is I have so much bubble wrap that I don't know what to do with it could I use that and stick/staple it to the outside of the hutch and get the same affect? Thanks in advance :)

Yes, you can use bubble wrap BUT in all cases of insulation, you shouldn't really apply the wrap directly to the hutch/shed. An air gap of an inch or so should be left between the walls of the hutch and the insulation. This ensures that condensation and dampness doesn't form and make the hutch colder than it would be without any insulation.

You can attach batons of wood to the edges of the hutch, cover with plywood and then attach the insulation to the plywood. Always make sure you leave good air circulation to the inside of the hutch too, otherwise a bunny breathing out warm air will create condensation on the INSIDE walls of the hutch. It's better that a bunny is kept completely free of DAMP rather than free of a howling gale. If they're dry, they can maintain body temp pretty well if they also have a thick bed of straw to burrow into.

Brilliant thank you for the advice, is really helpful :)

You're welcome :thumb:. It's great that you're thinking about your fluff's wellbeing in winter. Mine have a tubular greenhouse heater in their shed :oops::lol:.

Ooh lovely! I always think preventive is better, probably have the mildest winter on record now ha! :)

Unless it's designed for outdoors it won't be UV stable so it will degrade in the sun. It will usually last over winter though, particularly if it's under a tarp. I agree, I wouldn't fix it directly the hutch. A gap won't hurt the insulating properties and will help prevent damp.

Damp will, of course, also lead to premature hutch rot :) And it'll be in places you won't notice until it's too late!

Yes... Jon that's what I used , nice and cosy so far ... hope it works , never used it before, but it was recommended because it 's often used for said purposes... man in shop said it were good cos it 'breathes'... but not so sure about that bit .

Last edited:
Back