• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Now Gnasher is ill (Matilda's partner)- being put to sleep tonight

SOAD

Wise Old Thumper
Heavy breathing a it last night, brought him in overnight with a view to the vets this evening, thought he's got a bit of an infection.

I get up this morning, mouth breathing and fluid coming off his lungs, in a right old state :(. He's had xray this morning and nothing horrible on his lungs (I am happy about that as I was expecting a tumour with the state he was in) other than fluid, he's had his lungs drained, but he's in heart failure :(. Fingers crossed he should be okay with medicine for a while, he's spending the day at the vets and I can collect him on my way home.

Last edited:
Poor Gnasher, he does sound poorly, fingers crossed that he improves and is able to return home this evening.

Get well vibes for Gnasher. xxxxxxxx

Thank you, he's had 30ML drained off his lungs and he is eating again now, so must be feeling a bit better. He will be able to come home tonight but is going to have to be on a lot of heart drugs :(

Thank you, he's had 30ML drained off his lungs and he is eating again now, so must be feeling a bit better. He will be able to come home tonight but is going to have to be on a lot of heart drugs :(

30ml drained off, the poor darling. Thank goodness he has such a wonderful and caring owner and I know you will do your very best to help him along with the rest of his life.

Thinking of you both. xxxx

Thank you :love: he's feeling quite bright and the vet nurse sent me a picture of him eating a carrot :love:

Thank you :love: he's feeling quite bright and the vet nurse sent me a picture of him eating a carrot :love:

Rabbits in Heart Failure can remain really well within themselves once on the correct meds :D Also, they dont know they have a heart problem so they dont have the anxieties about it all. As far as they are concerned if they feel well they are well :D

I'm so sorry to hear about Gnasher. Is he taking a diuretic and heart meds?

So long as you can manage the symptoms and his heart gets under control he should be able to manage well.
I do hope so :love:

Thanks for the responses, unfortunately my vet has said it's time to let him go and I do agree with him :cry:. I am just so gutted, I had him at home last night as a final good bye and he's pent the last three days in the vets. The diuretic injection has to be given every 8 hours, but within the hour his lungs are filling back up again meaning he is well for as little as 20 minutes and even when he is well he's not moving around just not squinting and looks more alert.

The heart meds have had little to no affect at all, although they are very hard to give as he is mouth breathing. My vet contacted an expert as need meds, etc and even the expert said that he should have had some response, but he's just getting worse.

I was going to let him go this morning but couldn't do it, he's in the vets but they have to drain his lungs again (that's three days running) and he's had the fluid tested just in case there was something bacterial in there but nothing.

He's just not responding to anything and I honestly think he is dying of a broken heart :cry:. He' a different rabbit, he used to bite and attack, he was horrid, you couldn't even handle him without thick gloves, but not biting no nothing, just sits there breathing heavily :(

Really sorry. It just shows how they can manage/hide serious health problems whilst happy with a companion but they become too much for them when they are grieving.

So sorry his condition has become so bad so fast.:cry:

Thank you

This is what my vets said, he honestly reckons he's had it for a while and he has displayed no symptoms. Even my vet nurse from my vets stays when I go away, she has been on lots of rabbit courses (she's mad about buns too) and never spotted anything. He has gone downhill so quick it's unbelievable, he will eat a bit of veg, but he just wants to lie down and do nothing :(

I am hoping they are going to say he's getting better at the vets today, but know in my heart he's not going to :(

Back