• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Puppy Pen For Mini Lop

Mini-lop

Young Bun
Hi,

I have been looking at a puppy pen for a mini lop we are going to get for when it is an adult. Just worried about the 4cm bar spacing. Is that safe for mini lops?
Don't want to add chicken wire etc. as it will be for an indoor bunny.

Thanks in advance.

Hi and welcome :wave: just looking at my two (they are mini lops) I would think 4cm would be far enough apart that they could squeeze their heads through but not their bodies and they might get caught. I know there is one run that has actually killed a few bunnies through getting their heads stuck and there are a few threads on here about it. I think JonM's thread "Floki the wild bunny" has a useful link that Zoobec posted, so you could try that for advice. Hope that helps.

It looks great in principle, but I'm not sure about the gap. Will find post I was talking about and post link...

That's the same one I have JemimaH and my buns are fine with it too. Not sure it's sturdy enough for indoor use though as the pegs go into the ground outside, but nothing to push into in the house?

I watched my bun squeeze her whole body through a gap that there was no way I thought she would fit through and it amazed me!!! I didn't actually have a tape measure to hand to see what size 4cm is but I could probably estimate it...

OK so I am sitting at my desk with a ruler in my hand... and I have to hold my hands up and say that I think it is highly unlikely that a fully grown mini-lop bun would get it's head through a 4am gap, especially if the bars are stiff (which they looked on that original pen). I would have more concerns with the second cage you posted re: ramp gradient and lack of space at the end of it. I reckon your first choice was better and you can always add levels... as long as the bun can't then jump the fence!! Is he/she going to be free range and this will just be a base?

I have an adult mini lop and I think the same pen but different seller. No chance he'd get his stuck in there, I guess a baby bunny *might* but again pretty unlikely unless you have a teeny tiny adult mini lop.

Hi,

I have been looking at a puppy pen for a mini lop we are going to get for when it is an adult. Just worried about the 4cm bar spacing. Is that safe for mini lops?
Don't want to add chicken wire etc. as it will be for an indoor bunny.

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

Thanks all, Looks like this could be a possibility then.

Does anyone know of any other hutches that are smart and large for indoor use, outdoor smart would be OK also as we can use a lino base (current hard floor) but removable tray would be good?
Price is not a major worry but sub £250 would be nice.

We go to see him this weekend (Son has already named him biscuit base on the photo) we have 3 weeks yet before he comes home but he does not look to have a particularly narrow head.
wik706.jpg

Last edited:
Hi,

Thanks all, Looks like this could be a possibility then.

Does anyone know of any other hutches that are smart and large for indoor use, outdoor smart would be OK also as we can use a lino base (current hard floor) but removable tray would be good?
Price is not a major worry but sub £250 would be nice.

Is this going inside the pen? If money isn't an issue, I'd get one of these:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.309266595853006.68615.274922292620770&type=1

Oh my he's a gorgeous little fella. Presumably he'll be 8 weeks or over when you get him? Our 8 week old Mini was tiny when we got her, she could fit in her food bowl. We had an indoor cage called the Paris I think, but it was just a base and she was only shut in it at night for the first 2 weeks, and again after her spay operation to stop her doing herself any damage. Good for keeping everything (particularly hay!) neat and tidy. Since we bonded our buns they just have an underbed storage box where they wee etc and a hay rack above it. I wouldn't have been confident with that with a baby bun though.

Good luck... I look forward to seeing lots more pics when you get him.

Oh my he's a gorgeous little fella. Presumably he'll be 8 weeks or over when you get him? Our 8 week old Mini was tiny when we got her, she could fit in her food bowl. We had an indoor cage called the Paris I think, but it was just a base and she was only shut in it at night for the first 2 weeks, and again after her spay operation to stop her doing herself any damage. Good for keeping everything (particularly hay!) neat and tidy. Since we bonded our buns they just have an underbed storage box where they wee etc and a hay rack above it. I wouldn't have been confident with that with a baby bun though.

Good luck... I look forward to seeing lots more pics when you get him.

Hi,

Yes will not be 8 weeks for a few more weeks yet, we will be getting a cage for the first few weeks (and Castration) but looking for the pen as long term when we are at work.
He will have the hall (which is large) but not sure if we can give him all of it as their is a rubber strip at the bottom of the front door and worried about him eating the post. :)

Haha, yes they tend to nibble anything they can get their little teeth into. Enjoy your baby bun, they really are the cutest especially as they generally like cuddles when they are tiny. :)

I've seen ones like these recommended before, the bars are much sturdier than the ones that are made for outdoor use. I haven't had one personally but I think it looks good, in fact I was going to order one for my house bun but he has his own room instead now :thumb:

Haha, yes they tend to nibble anything they can get their little teeth into. Enjoy your baby bun, they really are the cutest especially as they generally like cuddles when they are tiny. :)

We have had one before (meant to be a mini lop from a petshop but at near 3ft long laid out and at around 7lb she was no mini)
We lost our last rabbit to impaction, she had one bout which we managed to overcome so set a strict diet when we went away for a weekend, the boarding company did not follow it and we lost her 2 days after picking her back up. :(
Do not want to take any risks on this one. So boarding is only with a family member who has kept rabbit and the breeder has said it could lodge with her as a last resort. :)

Last edited:
Oh no, I am so sorry you lost your bunny due to someone else's ignorance/negligence. I am sure people think I starve my two the way they go crazy over the small amount of pellets they get every day but as far as I know they are really healthy and I only do it for their own good. Sounds like you've got a good plan already lined up for Biscuit.

That's the same one I have JemimaH and my buns are fine with it too. Not sure it's sturdy enough for indoor use though as the pegs go into the ground outside, but nothing to push into in the house?

I watched my bun squeeze her whole body through a gap that there was no way I thought she would fit through and it amazed me!!! I didn't actually have a tape measure to hand to see what size 4cm is but I could probably estimate it...

Mine is fixed onto a dog crate so couldn't go anywhere, just be pushed out of shape! It's rigid with cables and wire :)

Back