• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Fleas!

sun_city_girl

Warren Veteran
So I have an eye condition and two weeks ago I was fitted with rigid contact lenses - my vision is much improved, however today I was stroking and brushing Bun and I noticed he has fleas :cry:
They must be fleas cos they are big and black. I feel absolutely awful, he is very fluffy and obviously before I couldnt actually see them. Since hes had his teeth removed he isnt so great at grooming himself hence we brush him. I popped over to the vets but they wouldnt just sell me the flea treatment, so I am taking him into the nurse in the morning which is annoying because I want to get him started on the treatment now! Poor Bun. I feel so bad.
also how could he have got the fleas, we have no other animals in the house??

Mine had fleas they caught them of a stray cat who passed them on to my cats and they passed them to the buns :roll:

Some pet shops can sell flea treatment for rabbits just be sure you know what they weigh so you give the right dose :D

The web site medicines4pets will also,sell the advocat flea treatment which I buy and is lots cheaper than paying at the vets ;)

Might be an idea to get the vets to,look tho incase it wasn't fleas if you haven't seen them before ;) or get a flea comb wet some tissue and comb thru you should find little black bits if you put these on the wet tissue and rub them it should be red as fleas poop blood good luck

Last edited:
Don't worry they're so hard to spot! Luckily they rarely do any harm other than being an irritation so it'll all be fine :wave:

Mine had fleas they caught them of a stray cat who passed them on to my cats and they passed them to the buns :roll:

Some pet shops can sell flea treatment for rabbits just be sure you know what they weigh so you give the right dose :D

The web site medicines4pets will also,sell the advocat flea treatment which I buy and is lots cheaper than paying at the vets ;)

Might be an idea to get the vets to,look tho incase it wasn't fleas if you haven't seen them before ;) or get a flea comb wet some tissue and comb thru you should find little black bits if you put these on the wet tissue and rub them it should be red as fleas poop blood good luck

oh thanks for this :)
I will see what the nurse says im pretty sure it must be fleas as they are so huge!

Does this mean I have to do something about the house too? I mean will they be around the house??

I will see what the nurse says im pretty sure it must be fleas as they are so huge!

Does this mean I have to do something about the house too? I mean will they be around the house??

you can get house flea spray or powders ;) spray carpets and curtains even the couch, if you have central heating this will keep the little blighters alive longer too :roll: i spray and put powder down brush it in and vac it up like shake and vac after and hour or so :)

i have 2 cats and the rabbits so i make sure all are done if i see fleas on them i don't do every month as the packet says mainly just during the late spring and summer up to beginning of November ish maybe do 2 months then leave them and if i see any another two months :)

You might have to treat the house but the nurse will be able to advise. I got a house spray from the vets when I went into get the flea treatment. It was called Acclaim spray I think and they recommended I vacuumed thoroughly, paying attention to the corners and edges of the room and that I washed all soft furnishings.
Don't feel bad about missing them, they're not easy to spot, I wouldn't have seen them on my boy if he hadn't been scratching so much!

Good luck :thumb:

Yes, the statistics are something like for every 1 flea on your pet there are 99 around the house. I would vacuum thoroughly (spray the vacuum bag or dispose of contents too) and then spray the house. The eggs fall off into bedding and cracks so pay particular attention to bedding, cracks, gaps and edges in your vacuuming and spraying. Don't vacuum after spraying as you risk pulling the product up from your carpets etc!

Thanks everyone! The nurse gave us the stuff for bun and a huge can of indorex spray.
My only problem is is it says remove your pet before spraying but I have nowhere to put him! The only place I could lo k him is the bathroom but it has no natural light but I guess it would be okay for a few hours.
I guess we just put the stuff on bun and then spray the house!? I'm finding it a bit logistically confusing lol

It's annoying that he has access to everywhere :lol: we should have been more mean!

Back