• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hay Storage

Lemonade

Warren Scout
Hi guys,

Just wondering how everyone stores their hay.

I buy mine in bales. It's currently wrapped in a duvet cover in the garage but it's just not practical.

Seen the garden storage boxes for sale. Are they any good? Also had a friend that used a wheelie bin but are you not supposed to let it breathe?

Thanks,

L x

I heard about wheelie bins too. Will be interested in people's replies as I will need waterproof outdoor storage for mine in our new place.

I have an outdoor storage box but it lives under cover in the garage so I don't know how waterproof it is. I get through a bale a month so it doesn't hang around long enough to get musty. If I just had the box without any cover then I would probably cover it with a tarp to make sure water didn't get in.

I have hay bales in 4 wheely bins. Just drop them in and cut the string. They don't sweat if they are not in direct sun. If the lid is prone to blowing up, I loop a piece of the hay string through the handles and under the lip.

i use a huge wicker laundry basket, and cardboard boxes aswell. the basket has a cotton lining. aslong as it isn't in plastic then it should be fine and not sweat :wave:

I use a big rubbish bin with a clip on lid but then I only get a half bale each time due to lack of storage but I suppose it works the same as a wheelie bin and I've never had any problem with the hay going mouldy but then this will also depend on the quality of hay you buy. Being a farmers daughter I know a lot will also depend on how the hay has been stored prior to you buying it.

Back