• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

E.C?

Alicia

Mama Doe
This morning I noticed Izzy was a little unsteady on her feet, she seemed a bit wobbly, but not too bad. I put her in the run with Joey and she was running around as normal but did stay closer to Joey than she normally does, normally he's more clingy with her not the other way round. I just went to put them back in their hutch and as I went to put Izzy down normally she kicks at me but this time she just sort of rolled to the side and then kicked me, she's now walking ok in her hutch and she's eating fine I'm just a bit worried about the unsteadiness.

Are they ex rescue? Have they had EC before at all?

Personally in this situation O would ask advice from a vet and suspect they would then (after examination to rule out other possibilities) suggest panacur, and metacam.

I would act quickly on this as its far more likely to be able to damp down EC symptoms if you act quickly.

Thank you for the replies. I didn't take her to the vets yesterday because I kept checking on her and she seemed fine, and I wondered if it was just that she was a bit stiff after standing up. This morning I think I can see her being a bit unsteady, its almost like she rocks backwards ever so slightly before she moves, and its so slight that I'm even wondering if I'm seeing things because she's absolutely fine in every other way. I don't know, I feel like something's just not quite right with her but I don't want to take her to the vets when she's fine because I think I saw something. I'm going to see how she goes this morning, and possibly get her in the vets this afternoon.

Are they ex rescue? Have they had EC before at all?

Personally in this situation O would ask advice from a vet and suspect they would then (after examination to rule out other possibilities) suggest panacur, and metacam.

I would act quickly on this as its far more likely to be able to damp down EC symptoms if you act quickly.

They are both from different rescues, I've had them both for a few years and neither of them have had EC before as far as I know.

If you feel she is not right she needs to go to the vet. Better take her and nothing be wrong than not take her and something be wrong. Being unsteady is definitely not right. A bun is never unsteady unless something is wrong. Remember rabbits hide symptoms very well and so by the time you see that something is definitely "not right"...they are usually very poorly at that point.

It wouldn't hurt her to have a course of panacur.

I took her to the vets this afternoon, the vet saw what I meant, she's not really using her front right leg as much as normal. He said he thinks it could either be E.C or possibly arthritis, although it is possible that she's just injured it in the past few days. I've got some panacur for them and I gave them both some this evening. Izzy isn't as interested in food as she was, although up until this evening she was eating fine so I'm quite worried about that. I've bought her inside temporarily to eat, but I'm not sure whether I should put her back out with Joey so she's in her home which might encourage her to eat because she'd be more comfortable

Did you get any anti-inflammatory to bring home for her? If it is EC, it reduces the long term damage to the nerves. If she has hurt her foot or it is arthritis, it will help as well. Might be worth asking about.

Were her ears checked as well? Balance issues can be due to an inner ear infection.

No he didn't prescribe any metacam. She's now eating dandelions and grass, should I just give her lots of that tonight? She's not interested in pellets. I'm not sure whether to put her back in her hutch with Joey or keep her in here and keep an eye on her.

No he didn't prescribe any metacam. She's now eating dandelions and grass, should I just give her lots of that tonight? She's not interested in pellets. I'm not sure whether to put her back in her hutch with Joey or keep her in here and keep an eye on her.

I wouldn't separate her from her friend. Can you bring him in too ?

I think you need to keep her in. She is obviously not feeling well. Tomorrow I'd ring the vets and request some metacam. She will most likely be feeling a bit of pain whatever the problem is. Metacam is needed for E.C as it will help reduce inflammation as other have said. How long is the course of panacur?

Joey's now in too, they're both running round the room as normal. Izzy's on and off with the dandelions but at least she's eating something. I was told to do it for 9 days, and to ring this Friday to let the vet know how she is but I will ring them in the morning for another appointment.

Joey's now in too, they're both running round the room as normal. Izzy's on and off with the dandelions but at least she's eating something. I was told to do it for 9 days, and to ring this Friday to let the vet know how she is but I will ring them in the morning for another appointment.

She needs to be on a 28 day course. The 9 day will do absolutely nothing if she has E.C. :? Is it possible to see a better vet?

I've used this vet for years and he's normally very good. There aren't many good vets where I live, I've tried a few others. It's difficult because I trust this vet with my bunnies, I live about 15 minutes from Godalming, Surrey, does anyone know any good vets around this way?

I've used this vet for years and he's normally very good. There aren't many good vets where I live, I've tried a few others. It's difficult because I trust this vet with my bunnies, I live about 15 minutes from Godalming, Surrey, does anyone know any good vets around this way?

I can't help but if you start another thread in Rabbit Chat saying "rabbit savvy vet in...." then somebody should be able to help.

Unfortunately the vet you saw today doesn't seem to really understand rabbits...considering he doesn't think your bun needs pain relief is pretty bad, especially when he thinks it's either E.C or an injury. :? This is just my opinion, however. I certainly would not be happy with this vet treating my bunny. A 9 day course of panacur is just for prevention not for actually treating E.C and will not do anything to help your bun. :(

Now you know, you can go in and ask for a 28 day course (you need to also disinfect your bun's home on certain days but I have no experience with this but I'm sure others can advise) and a course of metacam. Check the dosage, though, as many vets don't realise buns need a higher dose of metacam than most animals of their size.

I phoned the vet today because he asked me to ring with an update, and I was told that as she is still trying to use that leg as normal, they didn't want her to have pain relief in case she overdid the exercise and injured it more. It doesn't seem like she's in too much pain really, I know it's hard to tell but apart from a slight limp she is doing everything like she normally does, and I think they're worried of her injuring it further because she's still running around. I was told the vet's going to ring me back later today, they did mention possible pain relief or other medications but I'm just waiting for the call back :) Thank you for your help so far

I phoned the vet today because he asked me to ring with an update, and I was told that as she is still trying to use that leg as normal, they didn't want her to have pain relief in case she overdid the exercise and injured it more. It doesn't seem like she's in too much pain really, I know it's hard to tell but apart from a slight limp she is doing everything like she normally does, and I think they're worried of her injuring it further because she's still running around. I was told the vet's going to ring me back later today, they did mention possible pain relief or other medications but I'm just waiting for the call back :) Thank you for your help so far

The metacam is not just for pain relief. Metacam is an anti-inflammatory and this is important for helping to reduce the damage done by the E.C parasite, especially in the early stages. Also a rabbit needs pain relief and giving the excuse that they don't want a bun to "over do it" is a pretty out-dated thing to say. Leaving a bun in pain just to stop them moving as much is quite cruel. I'm pretty sure a doctor wouldn't say you had to suffer in pain to remind you that you had injured yourself. :?
I really do think you need to get a second opinion. Did they not mention the course of panacur?

They've said they'll put some metacam aside for me and I'm going to go to the vets in the morning and get it. I was advised to give her 0.8ml a day, would you say this is correct? She's a mini lop x and she weights about 2kg.

I really am quite worried about this limp, it doesn't seem to be getting any worse but she's not coping with it as well as she was. She was trying to walk around as normal (and the limp is so slight that I couldn't even work out exactly what was wrong with her walking, it just wasn't quite right) but now the limp's not any worse but she's lying down a lot more and resting more often. Do you think this is just pain? I can't work out what this could be, I don't know a lot about E.C but from what I've read its more to do with balance, and this seems to be a limp more than dizziness or anything like that. I know somethings not right I just can't figure it out. I'm really worried that her, I'll obviously get the painkillers in the morning and give her some, I'm really hoping this will help. Thank you for the information about metacam, I didn't know it was an anti-inflammatory too.

Back