• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bad litter habits! Help!

chloe721

New Kit
Hi all,
My little guy Flynn is just over a year and a half old and is generally very well behaved when it comes to his litter tray. He is a house bunny without a cage or enclosure and gets pretty much free run of the house (very spoilt) except at night when he sleeps in the hall. He has his own area with a bed, his toys and a large litter tray which his water bowl and food sit at the end of so he can use the bathroom as he eats. He is an extremely good boy when it comes to 'number ones' and will always wee in his tray. However over the past few months he has been very naughty with the other side of things.
I am not at all concerned about his health as he eats well and is a very happy, playful and content little boy but he seems to be very intent on leaving his mark on certain places in the hallway and living room by leaving messier 'number twos'. I take his welfare very seriously and play by the rules when it comes to his diet so he eats harringtons optimum rabbit food and treats in the form of small portions of fruit and veg. Having said this, he pretty much point blank refuses to eat hay. If it is left out for him he will create a huge mess with it but eat none. I realise that hay is of huge importance to a rabbits diet so any tips on getting him to eat it would be much appreciated.
Going back to my main issue, though Flynn does have mainly 'normal' stools, I am finding that he is increasingly leaving messier faeces in specific areas which are not his litter tray. They aren't runny, just average cecotrope which are being left uneaten and more often than not, I will get up in the morning to him having stamped through these areas creating a big mess for me to clean up. Is there anything that can be done to encourage him to use only his litter tray or stop him from making such a mess? He hasn't always had this bad habit and seems to be getting more and more comfortable with just leaving a mess wherever he likes to sit now. I don't know if he is just being complacent and lazy but it is frustrating when I know how good he can be with regards to litter but over the past few months he has been very naughty and it's not very fun for my flatmate or when I have people round!
Would really appreciate any help or advice!

10424493_698561763512962_260372402_n.jpg

He's adorable!!

I have a similar thing with a little dude I'm bunny sitting at the moment. Eating more hay will improve his poops
I've really struggled with it over the last week but he was nibbling some last night so I'm hoping he's getting there

Tips I was given were:
Different types of hay - the hay experts website does a sample pack, timothyhay.co.uk will send a free sample if you email them, hayforpets also does a sample pack, readigrass is usually popular to encourage hay eating but is quite rich so once they're eating it maybe mix it in with other hays to reduce the quantity
Mix stuff into the hay - eg herbs, grated carrot, dried forage, pellets, fresh grass. My dude has just discovered a love of dried dandelion (from hay experts). Sprinkle herbs on (like the cooking jar powdered stuff) or some hays come with bits of carrot or apple or dandelion already in
Gently joust with him so he gets annoyed and bites it (but obviously don't upset him too much or hurt him)
Stuff cardboard tubes with it (and maybe a treat) so it's fun

Good luck!

Oh - also if he's not neutered that might increase his ability to keep poops in the litter tray as pooping everywhere is sort of associated with territorial instincts which can be stronger in an unneutered bunny.

Last edited:
Floki doesn't eat any hay or very very little if she decides she wants to. She eats her nuggets and spinach and for a treat she has a cube of apple and sometimes a strawberry.

I did buy her some mixed hay the other week but she just dragged it all to her bedroom in the hutch and used it to sleep on. So all the hay we have is used for her sleeping area.

Hi, :wave:
I had the soft caecotroph issue with my Bun Forest , not long ago.. he is a greedy bun and loves his pellets and fresh veg, to the detriment of Hay... He prefers to throw his about like a toy rather than eat it.
I asked RU about this too, and was advised to cut down the pellet food and increase the hay / tastier hays / encourage hay play. It has worked a treat with solving the soft poo prob.
Although...He still Really Does Not Like his hay! ( ' I don't want it Mummeh! is that all I'm getting? you meany!!! ' ) but I've been watching him (when he thinks I'm not looking) and he is eating it.
I'm also going to try the different hay sample packs available for him online.

My Buns are outdoor Buns..., so it's not so bad if they are messy. but, it can get expensive buying lots of yummy hay that they wont eat, can't it :roll:
I have heard that there are the compressed hay blocks available that have dandelion / mint / herbs added to them that many people keeping indoor Buns find useful as they are less messy / spread about ? I havn't tried them but maybe someone else has. Don't know if any of that helps.

I found it quite scary to suddenly find soft caec's everywhere .. and the advice I got from RU about reducing the pellets really worked .
Maybe put a few more litter trays out around his free range areas and see where he wants to go.. it's a territorial thing , isn't it .
Glad he's okay, Hope you are too...Best of luck :thumb:

Oh, and I don't think he's trying to annoy you...he's just a Bunny living in his territory and Bunnies do poop at the boundaries of their kingdoms, to tell other Bunnies they are there.... It never fails to amaze me, the wonderful secret world of Bunnies :love:

Last edited:
Back